Some insights on A-spec 24 hours of LeMans

  • Thread starter Thread starter Esvees
  • 23 comments
  • 3,802 views
Messages
18
Finally completed this 2 days ago & thought I'd share some insights. I did this together with 2 friends spread over about 36 hours.

First, on cars, we didn't want to use the X1, but still had a large selection to choose from. In the end I did a fair bit of testing and found the best overall compromise to be the Bentley Speed 8. It was very close on lap times to a Sauber C9 or Minolta Toyota, but I could still eke out 10 laps without changing tires or refuelling as opposed to about 8 with the Sauber. This actually improved as we got smoother over time to 11 laps between changes, but that was an absolute limit due to fuel. I changed some settings on the diff and suspension slightly, with the end result of a very slightly understeery, but also very stable car. In fact all of us really liked the car.

I also tested the 787B, Audi R10 TDi and Peugeot Fap, but couldn't really get any of them close to the same lap times, despite possibly better economy.

In all, I probably did about 12 hours, while my friends split the other 12. Best lap was a 3:10.098, which I did with a G27 wheel. Initially we all struggled on the last lap before a change due to very worn tires. The cool thing is though, as you get smoother, you actually go faster and wear your tires less. On the first day, we were getting pretty tired though, so we switched to the controller. This made consistent lap times somewhat harder (best I managed was just under 3:14) and made the last lap a real pain due to increased tire wear. Fortunately, it does pay off in that it is physically considerably less exhausting than the wheel.

In the end, we did 418 laps. This is with someone continually racing, but also includes some pretty bad laps. Also, we didn't have a drop of rain. Started the race with nearly no clouds in the sky, maybe that's a good indicator.

The fastest AI car was a Pescarola Hybride, which did 387 laps, meaning the top limit for them is probably 390 or so. It seemed to pit every 9 laps or so and was running around 3:30's. I also saw a fair few AI cars having really bad laps on occasion, nice to know we're not the only ones suffering from tire wear.

Final credits & exp are 890.000 cr. and just shy of 4.6 million exp.

Fun to do once, especially with a bunch of friends, but it is seriously exhausting. Both my friends now seriously doubt they want to do it themselves, even though they're very close to lvl 35.

I'm guessing an X1 could maybe average a 2:30 lap time including stops? In that case 17 hours is probably sufficient, but I doubt I'll be grinding this race.
 
Yeah, me and 4 other friends did it in about 3 days on a G27 and in a x1. We only did 400 laps and I think I did 10 hr of the race. Nothing like throwing a GT5 enduro race party lol.
 
890,000 Cr is a bit hopeless it should be at least 1.5million considering the effort required just to complete the race
 
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm also getting ready to attempt this. Still trying to gather the 'friends' to do so.
 
I should hit level 35 tomorrow so I'll be looking to start the race in the next two weeks. Should be interesting.
 
890,000 Cr is a bit hopeless it should be at least 1.5million considering the effort required just to complete the race

Yeh at least $1.5 mil. I did 60 laps of grand valley for 2 hours to get $165,000... i love GT5 but c'mon 60laps for 165,000 when 5laps of Indy is $117,000.
Sorry to get off topic.
I look forward to the 24hour endurances (not the rewards),but definitly got to be driven with friends.
 
I just finished my 24hr DeLa Sarthe a couple days ago as well, seriously brutal doing it by myself, over the course of about 48 hours. I want to get level 40, as there is nothing left for me to do, but I really can't get over the fact that the 24hr Nurburgring race requires level 40, and still gives you 7.5million credits afterwards... wow PD.

It really sucks that getting 40 comes down to either repeating the 24hr De La Sarthe like a machine or autobotting Like the Wind for days on end.

De La Sarthe - 4,593,700 exp
Tskuba 9hr - 1,157,404 exp
Nurb 4hr - 491,416 (6 of these is only 2,948,496 exp :/)
 
Finally completed this 2 days ago & thought I'd share some insights. I did this together with 2 friends spread over about 36 hours.

First, on cars, we didn't want to use the X1, but still had a large selection to choose from. In the end I did a fair bit of testing and found the best overall compromise to be the Bentley Speed 8. It was very close on lap times to a Sauber C9 or Minolta Toyota, but I could still eke out 10 laps without changing tires or refuelling as opposed to about 8 with the Sauber. This actually improved as we got smoother over time to 11 laps between changes, but that was an absolute limit due to fuel. I changed some settings on the diff and suspension slightly, with the end result of a very slightly understeery, but also very stable car. In fact all of us really liked the car.

I also tested the 787B, Audi R10 TDi and Peugeot Fap, but couldn't really get any of them close to the same lap times, despite possibly better economy.

In all, I probably did about 12 hours, while my friends split the other 12. Best lap was a 3:10.098, which I did with a G27 wheel. Initially we all struggled on the last lap before a change due to very worn tires. The cool thing is though, as you get smoother, you actually go faster and wear your tires less. On the first day, we were getting pretty tired though, so we switched to the controller. This made consistent lap times somewhat harder (best I managed was just under 3:14) and made the last lap a real pain due to increased tire wear. Fortunately, it does pay off in that it is physically considerably less exhausting than the wheel.

In the end, we did 418 laps. This is with someone continually racing, but also includes some pretty bad laps. Also, we didn't have a drop of rain. Started the race with nearly no clouds in the sky, maybe that's a good indicator.

The fastest AI car was a Pescarola Hybride, which did 387 laps, meaning the top limit for them is probably 390 or so. It seemed to pit every 9 laps or so and was running around 3:30's. I also saw a fair few AI cars having really bad laps on occasion, nice to know we're not the only ones suffering from tire wear.

Final credits & exp are 890.000 cr. and just shy of 4.6 million exp.

Fun to do once, especially with a bunch of friends, but it is seriously exhausting. Both my friends now seriously doubt they want to do it themselves, even though they're very close to lvl 35.

I'm guessing an X1 could maybe average a 2:30 lap time including stops? In that case 17 hours is probably sufficient, but I doubt I'll be grinding this race.

Its a 24hr race mate, if you stop after 17 hrs you will lose :)

..... i just put the kettle on and realised the logic there, you would achieve enough laps in the X1 and the AI would never catch up. I need coffee to get my brain working.
 
Might be fun to do the Le Sarthe 24hrs with a few friends in exact sync with the real event on the 11-12th June. Though excessive party drinking might damage the lap times:)
 
Its a 24hr race mate, if you stop after 17 hrs you will lose :)

..... i just put the kettle on and realised the logic there, you would achieve enough laps in the X1 and the AI would never catch up. I need coffee to get my brain working.

Not if he's done more laps in that 17 hours than the AI will do it 24 ;)

Edit: oops, you realised your mistake 👍

Thanks to the OP. My wife and daughter are planning to go away for half term and visit friends, so I have a week of evenings on my own. Trying to build myself up to have a shot of this, so your information is a big help 👍
 
I'm level 31 now and have planned a party for myself and 3 friends to do this. Our goal is to complete the race without a pause. I'm a bit scared :)
 
Might be fun to do the Le Sarthe 24hrs with a few friends in exact sync with the real event on the 11-12th June. Though excessive party drinking might damage the lap times:)

:) Indeed.
I envisage a bunch of people waking up in a hungover haze, with bits of snacky crisps on the floor, cans everywhere - and then someone notices you came in 12th. Hehe. Nice entertainment, mind.
 
i plan to do myself but afraid i cant handle myself alone , ive got 1 month old baby to help the wife with , let me see if i can complete in 1 week.
 
the tyre wear in the game is NONSENSE, the cars that people use can go upto 2-3 hours on the same set of tyres.
 
Thanks for the great info, very useful there. 👍

I hope that someday PD will implement the ability to share A-spec endurance races with other online players.

As it is, even if you share the driving with somebody else in person, the game sees it as one driver doing all the driving for 24 hours. Kind of weird to do it that way.
 
I'm level 31 now and have planned a party for myself and 3 friends to do this. Our goal is to complete the race without a pause. I'm a bit scared :)

That sounds like a good laugh. It would be interesting to try and do it without pausing it and just changing drivers/going to the toilet etc during pit stops.

I wish I had more friends that were into GT5. I only have one, so its not much of a party lol. The others don't really care for racing games, so wouldn't be quick enough :/
 
Why don't they put out a patch permitting you to save during pitstops and then when you return in the game, you are forced to go back into that specific race...
 
Why don't they put out a patch permitting you to save during pitstops and then when you return in the game, you are forced to go back into that specific race...

Because PD probably coded it and figured out that they would open an exploit which would allow folks to repeatedly finish a save and reap credits/xp to no end.
 
Finally completed this 2 days ago & thought I'd share some insights. I did this together with 2 friends spread over about 36 hours.

First, on cars, we didn't want to use the X1, but still had a large selection to choose from. In the end I did a fair bit of testing and found the best overall compromise to be the Bentley Speed 8. It was very close on lap times to a Sauber C9 or Minolta Toyota, but I could still eke out 10 laps without changing tires or refuelling as opposed to about 8 with the Sauber. This actually improved as we got smoother over time to 11 laps between changes, but that was an absolute limit due to fuel. I changed some settings on the diff and suspension slightly, with the end result of a very slightly understeery, but also very stable car. In fact all of us really liked the car.

I also tested the 787B, Audi R10 TDi and Peugeot Fap, but couldn't really get any of them close to the same lap times, despite possibly better economy.

In all, I probably did about 12 hours, while my friends split the other 12. Best lap was a 3:10.098, which I did with a G27 wheel. Initially we all struggled on the last lap before a change due to very worn tires. The cool thing is though, as you get smoother, you actually go faster and wear your tires less. On the first day, we were getting pretty tired though, so we switched to the controller. This made consistent lap times somewhat harder (best I managed was just under 3:14) and made the last lap a real pain due to increased tire wear. Fortunately, it does pay off in that it is physically considerably less exhausting than the wheel.

In the end, we did 418 laps. This is with someone continually racing, but also includes some pretty bad laps. Also, we didn't have a drop of rain. Started the race with nearly no clouds in the sky, maybe that's a good indicator.

The fastest AI car was a Pescarola Hybride, which did 387 laps, meaning the top limit for them is probably 390 or so. It seemed to pit every 9 laps or so and was running around 3:30's. I also saw a fair few AI cars having really bad laps on occasion, nice to know we're not the only ones suffering from tire wear.

Final credits & exp are 890.000 cr. and just shy of 4.6 million exp.

Fun to do once, especially with a bunch of friends, but it is seriously exhausting. Both my friends now seriously doubt they want to do it themselves, even though they're very close to lvl 35.

I'm guessing an X1 could maybe average a 2:30 lap time including stops? In that case 17 hours is probably sufficient, but I doubt I'll be grinding this race.

I did the 24 hrs. last weekend with a 908 HDI FAP Team Peugeot Total #1 '10. A wonderful premium car to do the endurance in. Great sound inside the car and out. Sure handling and a decent cockpit view to break up the monotony.

It rained for the first 21.5 hrs non stop. I was still able to run intermediates the entire time and put up some serious distance on the field as they were running full wet tyres, evidenced by the 5+ min. lap times the AI cars were turning. I on the other hand was clocking 4:22 avg.

The first five hours are boring. I pushed a cone down Muslane every lap to see how far it would go to amuse myself. But as day turns to dusk you do get a mild sensation of what racing 24 hrs is like. Into full night the ferris wheel and spectator stand lights come to life giving the course a nice visual effect. Curbing at the corners are lit up fairly well by the light posts around the entire course though there are still a couple of blind turns. The one thing that I missed was the fireworks display at the start/finish line that had previously been seen around midnight when I ran the race in B-spec. I suppose the fireworks don't happen in the rain.

After grinding through 8 hours of dark in the rain, it's a welcome relief to see daylight again. So more wet weather grinding to the 21.5 hr mark then the rain stopped. After pitting for soft rubber I went around once, parked off to the side, just before the start/finish line, did some rough calculations and decided to watch the Super bowl for the last 2.5 hrs. and crossed the line in first place when time expired. Level 37 reached.

I will do the next race in the X1 as 22 hours is way too long.
 
Last edited:
Because PD probably coded it and figured out that they would open an exploit which would allow folks to repeatedly finish a save and reap credits/xp to no end.

but if you reload a saved game, xp/cr are the way they where in the saved game, so you could not "accumulate" them...

What I suggest would be as follow:

being able to save in pit stop. once saved, the game would completely quit. Once GT5 is reloaded, you automaticly come back into the pitstop previously saved and so on for each save, forcing you to technically do the 24h race in a same session...but without having to literally leave PS3 on pause for a long period.

What do you think ?

Since the PS3 is my BR player and I have another life outside GT5, I can hardly see leaving it on and explaining to my wife that we cannot watch a movie or my teen tha he cannot play FIFA11 or BlackOps for two weeks because I'm doing Le Mans 24h....
 
being able to save in pit stop. once saved, the game would completely quit.

Why quit? It would be nice to save just in case of power failure.

Once GT5 is reloaded, you automaticly come back into the pitstop previously saved and so on for each save, forcing you to technically do the 24h race in a same session...but without having to literally leave PS3 on pause for a long period.

What do you think ?

I think it is good way. Kazunori Yamauchi also once thought it was a good idea, at least that was exactly how he made GT4 :)
 
Currently 18 hours into the race and 400 laps down. I guess I'll let it run for a few hours and check back.

It did rain for a good 5 hours during the race so I'm guessing/hoping the rest of the field will finish with about 375-380 laps.
 
Because PD probably coded it and figured out that they would open an exploit which would allow folks to repeatedly finish a save and reap credits/xp to no end.

It is a GAME man! What if that happens? I want to enjoy it as I paid for it. Every racing game has a save game option at least for long races. It is very-very hard for anyone to race a 24H event without pause. And by pausing the game, PS3 has to work at least 30-40H to finish it. Why such a waste in power? It is just ridiculous not to implement this save game option in a 2010 game in a console having HDD. PD, fix it NOW!
 
Back