some one care to explain ?

• Thread starter Damo 420
  • 23 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
so i ve been feeling since i started playing gt6 there is always something fighting against what im telling the car to do ( i dont use assists) and today i noticed it , i drive in car view and i noticed everytime i put my foot down in a corner the faster i start to get the more my driver is letting off the steering ? WTF ! surely if im telling the game full lock left it should stay full lock left not take control and start steering less ? so whats this all about .... why is the computer overriding my controller inputs ?

I'm assuming you're playing on a DS3?

In reality, you would let up on the steering as you accelerate as you would be able to retain traction to the front tires. If not, catastrophic understeer or power oversteer would occur, so that is modeled in the game.

yes i am on pad:/
oh yeah i know how it is in real life but how the game cuts is entirely stupid , i mean the tires arent even under any stress at all , there not screaming , the tyre gauge down on the bottom left is showing no drastic change in colour and to be honest im not even being aggressive with the inputs , i think they need to look into this and lessen this abit cuz its over the top by far :/

There is no way to adjust it. If you played GT5, it was the same way.

so i ve been feeling since i started playing gt6 there is always something fighting against what im telling the car to do ( i dont use assists) and today i noticed it , i drive in car view and i noticed everytime i put my foot down in a corner the faster i start to get the more my driver is letting off the steering ? WTF ! surely if im telling the game full lock left it should stay full lock left not take control and start steering less ? so whats this all about .... why is the computer overriding my controller inputs ?
Just understeer, rears driving harder than the the front can provide grip through and out of a corner. Just think when you drive a car in real life how many times you go full lock with your foot flat on the throttle.

oh yeah i know exactly how it is in real life but in this game it steps in way to early and way to much to the point where its over the top , they need to tweek this , how can you push if everytime i try push just a little bit the computer is cutting and saying no , im not even driving aggressively or pushing hard at all the cars no where near its limit yet the computer is stepping in ....

oh yeah i know exactly how it is in real life but in this game it steps in way to early and way to much to the point where its over the top , they need to tweek this , how can you push if everytime i try push just a little bit the computer is cutting and saying no , im not even driving aggressively or pushing hard at all the cars no where near its limit yet the computer is stepping in ....
Well you just answered the question really, its a game and it has it limits of realism which I know is frustrating but after 15yrs of playing GT Ive discovered the 3rd view is best for the ds3 (its to sensitive for anything else) & cockpit or bonnet view is great for the wheel as you don't seem to over correct .

yeah :/ this has truely broke gt for me came over here from forza looking for a better racing game and i guess its not much better on this side of the console fence lol so whats my options as a pad user to try and lessen its tendency to overide my inputs example if i tune the cars front end to be more stable will this lesson the chances of it cutting in as early ? maybe change the steering sensitivity settings so i can be more precise with fine inputs ? do you think any of these may lessen the chance of it overiding my inputs , sorry to sound a pain in the a*se but driving me crazy not being able to push the car harder without it cutting in :/

When I played GT5 on a DS3, I never had any more than 4 as my sensitivity setting. GT6 however...

Maybe you should buy a wheel, a good G27 can be had for cheap. I have a Thrustmaster T500 RS myself.

Ive found LSD settings and toe angles have a big impact on steering and throttle response. And lets be realistic some cars in this game handle like crap and others do what you want. A good example is the Bilstien Audi race car, horrible & on the other extreme is the BMW GT3 or the Maclaren F1 GTR. For the record Im a ds3 user & I have the sensitivity on +2 & run my LSDs on 8/12/20 on most cars & toes in the minus hope this helps . Enjoy the game.

yeah :/ this has truely broke gt for me came over here from forza looking for a better racing game and i guess its not much better on this side of the console fence lol so whats my options as a pad user to try and lessen its tendency to overide my inputs example if i tune the cars front end to be more stable will this lesson the chances of it cutting in as early ? maybe change the steering sensitivity settings so i can be more precise with fine inputs ? do you think any of these may lessen the chance of it overiding my inputs , sorry to sound a pain in the a*se but driving me crazy not being able to push the car harder without it cutting in :/

No driving game will feel realistic using a DS3 or xbox controller. Well, not unless you have driven a real car with one.

Ive found LSD settings and toe angles have a big impact on steering and throttle response. And lets be realistic some cars in this game handle like crap and others do what you want. A good example is the Bilstien Audi race car, horrible & on the other extreme is the BMW GT3 or the Maclaren F1 GTR. For the record Im a ds3 user & I have the sensitivity on +2 & run my LSDs on 8/12/20 on most cars & toes in the minus hope this helps . Enjoy the game.

ill give the pad setting a try i had it on +6 what ever it was standard felt lil to dead for me , as far as diff and toe we on bout the same level , thanks for all the help

No driving game will feel realistic using a DS3 or xbox controller. Well, not unless you have driven a real car with one.
bit of a pointless post there mate ? but cant say your wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
bit of a pointless post there mate ? but cant say your wrong

I wouldn't say pointless - you say this broke GT for you, I assumed you meant this made it feel unrealistic.

If the game didn't 'assist' the DS3 input, you would almost be going full lock to full lock every time you move the stick. That would be much worse.

Ok so I think you're talking about how the game (on a DS3) will automatically straighten the front wheels out the faster you go? It's speed related. And I think you feel like your losing time because the game is forcing you to understeer? It's not really the case. A wheel user can keep the wheels pointed wherever they want but it wouldn't matter as we would just be pushing the front wheels anyway at that point. Just tune the car for more oversteer. You are losing time but in reality it is barely anything at all and if your racing in something where tuning is allowed then you can compensate for it. However unless your in the top 1 percent of fastest pad drivers in the world I can assure you it isn't slowing you down. My proof for this is that VTR_puzzle did an amazingly fast lap in last year's GTAcademy on a DS3 and you couldn't tune the cars at all. Someone who has easier access than myself should post his time compared to Ti-tech's and also what place he finished in. It was quite impressive. He just about beat 99% percent of the wheel users in the world on his DS3. Also if PD didn't implement this automatic aid it would be nearly impossible to be competitive on the pad. The understeer feeling you get is just the nature of Gran Turismo. Wheel users have the same problem when it comes to that, trust me. Anyway in my opinion I think the main benefit of having a wheel is actually the throttle control you get with the pedals. There is no aid for that on the DS3 and I find it way more beneficial than the wheel itself. Actually that's the reason I bought a wheel. I couldn't place any higher than 20th in GT5 time trials with my DS3 and watching replays of guys faster than me I was convinced it was due to my lack of throttle control..

Last edited:
Ok so I think you're talking about how the game (on a DS3) will automatically straighten the front wheels out the faster you go? It's speed related. And I think you feel like your losing time because the game is forcing you to understeer? It's not really the case. A wheel user can keep the wheels pointed wherever they want but it wouldn't matter as we would just be pushing the front wheels anyway at that point. Just tune the car for more oversteer. You are losing time but in reality it is barely anything at all and if your racing in something where tuning is allowed then you can compensate for it. However unless your in the top 1 percent of fastest pad drivers in the world I can assure you it isn't slowing you down. My proof for this is that VTR_puzzle did an amazingly fast lap in last year's GTAcademy on a DS3 and you couldn't tune the cars at all. Someone who has easier access than myself should post his time compared to Ti-tech's and also what place he finished in. It was quite impressive. He just about beat 99% percent of the wheel users in the world on his DS3. Also if PD didn't implement this automatic aid it would be nearly impossible to be competitive on the pad. The understeer feeling you get is just the nature of Gran Turismo. Wheel users have the same problem when it comes to that, trust me. Anyway in my opinion I think the main benefit of having a wheel is actually the throttle control you get with the pedals. There is no aid for that on the DS3 and I find it way more beneficial than the wheel itself. Actually that's the reason I bought a wheel. I couldn't place any higher than 20th in GT5 time trials with my DS3 and watching replays of guys faster than me I was convinced it was due to my lack of throttle control..
hear ya on the throttle control and the brake control in my opinion the game could do with a sensitivity setting for that on the pad , im personally not used to this pad malarkey , been a wheel user for last 9 years so being back on the pad is horrific , you are correct the game does need this certain featurebut do you not feel it acts to early ? like some of the cars are not even close to the limit of what it could handle yet it cuts in anyway :S the subaru impreza tc being one of the worst for it so far in my testing , i respect the feature and idea theve got here but i really do think it needs to be refined or at least somewhat tweaked , thanks for the input mate

I mean I would be inclined to agree if there weren't guys going so fast on the pad. When I first played gran turismo I would have agreed because I felt like the stupid cars wouldn't turn with any speed. I would say "really I have to come to a complete stop every single god forsaken corner just to avoid the wall or grass?" but I came to realize that gran turismo's "sense of speed" or "representation of speed" is quite low. I found myself looking at the speedometer thinking wow I just took that corner doing 80 I would never do that in real life. However I felt like I was going 5 mph . I have since adjusted to the sense of speed in the game and no longer feel this way. I have also become accustomed to gran turismo generally just being an understeer kind of game for pad and wheel users alike. That's why drifting is the best way around the track haha ;)

Last edited:
oh yeah its still very possible to go fast infact very fast but knowing you could go faster kinda bugs me lol kinda feel like im unable to push the car to its full potential with out havingto worry about is it going to cut in or is it gunna let me push closer to the limit

Like I said I can assure you it's not slowing you down. VTR_puzzle was only tenths behind the fastest wheel user. 99 percent of wheel users in the world aren't even capable/don't have the skill to get the very last few tenths out of the car (me being one of the 99%) . Also I suggest (if you haven't already) turning the Controller sensitivity all the way up. It helped me and everyone I recommended it to a great deal. However I would take tidgney's advice on controller sensitivity. He was pretty wicked on a pad. Someone has got to know of what he played on before he got a wheel.

the pad sensitivity being higher has improved the situation to a degree thanks for that , still feels odd when it happens but over time im sure it will bother me less , i heard theres something up with camber on this game at the minute so maybe when that gets sorted or should i say if that gets sorted maybe it will have a postiive effect on the way this feature acts when your trying to push closer to the cars limit =) appreciate the input though rosckolove

Sounds like you're driving a FWD car.

Tune your suspension for more oversteer, and don't floor it in corners.

If you held full lock and had your foot to the floor in real life in a FWD car, you should expect understeer.

Or... drive a mans car (RWD).

:lol: Just kiddin'...

I use -2 sensitivity by the way, I find anything above 0 too twitchy.

Yes camber is all messed up. Make sure you run 0 front and back. Gives the most grip just incase you haven't read about that yet.

Sounds like you're driving a FWD car.

Tune your suspension for more oversteer, and don't floor it in corners.

If you held full lock and had your foot to the floor in real life in a FWD car, you should expect understeer.

Or... drive a mans car (RWD).

:lol: Just kiddin'...

I use -2 sensitivity by the way, I find anything above 0 too twitchy.

close its been rwd and 4wd i found its more a issue in last part of exiting a corner in the rwd where as 4wd seem to suffer a fair bit more than the rwd ...... wouldnt catch me in fwd ;) i think its alot to do with the jump from forza to gt as ive been on forza since the 1st game .... so many years wasted when could have been on gt , i tryed the - steering numbers but it felt far to dead for me specially coming from a wheel to a pad for first time in like 9 yrs lol

Yes camber is all messed up. Make sure you run 0 front and back. Gives the most grip just incase you haven't read about that yet.
yeah i do run that , figured that out about 20 mins before i see a thread on it , lap time killer

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird, I'm a pad veteran and I never get understeer in 4WD/RWD, well none that I can't remedy with a quick tune.

Perhaps it's the camber or something else in your setups, or maybe you're just entering corners too fast so you can't power out without going faster than your car can handle.

Weird, I'm a pad veteran and I never get understeer in 4WD/RWD, well none that I can't remedy with a quick tune.

Perhaps it's the camber or something else in your setups, or maybe you're just entering corners too fast so you can't power out without going faster than your car can handle.

in all fairness its mainly on exit at the very last part of the corner its such a odd feeling , its all sweet then boom my driver lessens the steering and i run wide clean off , ive already had some explain what it is , its just strange how it acts the way it does specialy for some one to come from forza to gt , like forza doesnt have this feature to a degree if your full lock on exit and flat on the gas and you past the limit of the cars ability your either spin out or in fwd n 4wd cases the front loose there grip and it'll go straight off the track , like what ever you input to the steering is what you get you step over the limit and your gone where as on here it lessens the steering lock angle and you just run wide , thats a massive change for me personaly to grip , i know a few ex forza players who came to gt for the same reasons i have and have also had a hard time grasping this feature :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back