Some questions about html and website editors

• Thread starter inferno
  • 8 comments
Ok, here's hoping this hasnt been covered. I have a very basic question, so i'll just paint this situation for you and hope it has a simple solution. I want to create a website but before i get started i want to make sure i understand every detail of the process. so, lets say that i have already purchased the web space and the domain name, and i have already designed the web site. my question is, how do i get the html code on the web space that i have purchased? will there be like a little form that i can just copy and paste the code into and click a button? haha. i'm just curious how that all works.

Secondly, i have a question about Web site editors. my site is going to have a forum, well, actualy the forum will be the biggest part of it. is V bulliten a complete editor? or is it just forum software and will i need another editor to design the rest of the site. i mean, using V bulliten alone, could i create a forum with ads and whatnot and a main page?

Thanks in advance, i hope you guys have some simple answers for me.

Once you have your account established with your hosting company, they should provide you with FTP (File Transfer Protocol) details. Once you have those, download some free FTP software (I use SmartFTP), enter your details, and you should see the file structure on your remote server. From there, you simply drag and drop the files from your local computer onto your server, and you should be able to access them from your domain name.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "editor" when you're referring to vBulletin. When you install it on your site, it does provide forum functionality, and there is also an extensive administrative control panel which allows you to customize its look, appearance, and behavior. It does not, however, provide a "main page" with a separate look and feel - vBulletin only handles forum pages.

I didn't see the bit about vB, but if you know CSS, you should be able to come up with a good vB style, & even if you don't, vB uses templates, so you can easily create a simple style.

I use SmartFTP too, great software.

I didn't see the bit about vB, but if you know CSS, you should be able to come up with a good vB style, & even if you don't, vB uses templates, so you can easily create a simple style.

I use SmartFTP too, great software.

Almost OT - I always, and have for many years, recommend FileZilla to people looking for an FTP client (or server). Amazing piece of software, and free as well !..

Ok. thanks for the answers guys. I know what i need now.

Jordan, you answered my question about V bulliten just fine, i get it. thanks guys.

& even if you don't, vB uses templates, so you can easily create a simple style.

Not quite... You do need some knowledge of web design (and something like Dreamweaver if you want to go at anything other than snail's pace) before you can "create" anything close to a design yourself. However, because vB is so popular, there are hundreds of people and websites who can supply you with styles that attach pretty seamlessly to vBulletin. That's not to say you have to find/create a style for it, of course - the standard (but rather dull) style comes with it from the start.

Not quite... You do need some knowledge of web design (and something like Dreamweaver if you want to go at anything other than snail's pace) before you can "create" anything close to a design yourself. However, because vB is so popular, there are hundreds of people and websites who can supply you with styles that attach pretty seamlessly to vBulletin. That's not to say you have to find/create a style for it, of course - the standard (but rather dull) style comes with it from the start.
How would you go about designing a vB style in dreamweaver? I didn't think it was possible.

Well, design a basic layout, shoehorn the basic vB code into it and then paste it into the relevant template in the style manager. That's the basic concept, anyway. Although really it's more like designing the header (and footer, if you want) in Dreamweaver, sticking those in the header and footer templates and then just changing the images and colour scheme of everything else in the stylesheet to match. Obviously you change a few things to your taste, but most of the vB code is left as standard. Usually.

Back