Some Questions for a Design Personal Project

• Thread starter iName
  • 3 comments
United States
Southfield, Detroit
BroncoFLHX
Hello, I’m a transportation design student and I’ve started a personal project with #savethemanual as a topic. The idea is a vehicle that celebrates everything about a manual car, as they are on the way out. The brand chosen was Honda, and while this is primarily an interior project, the exterior will simply be a rebirth of the Honda City Turbo.

Small, affordable, and way too fun to drive. Everything will be designed with perfect ergonomics in mind. That said, I don’t drive a stick :dopey:

I have some questions that I want to ask y’all and feel free to answer as many as you want. Make sure you put the number of the question you answering so o can keep the data organized.

1. What is your preferred shifter knob shape? Circular, Cylindrical, Pistol-Gripish?
  2. If you can heel and toe, do you do it the Senna style by just tilting your foot, and swinging it out to hit the gas? If you do either of these detail the shortcomings of your pedals for it (too far apart, too skinny).
  3. Do you prefer the gauge cluster behind in the traditional spot under the wheel, or like the new style of the gauges above the wheel?
  4. What shape of pedal suit you more, rounded pedals or flat pedals?
  5. What if the clutch was floor mounted?
  6. Do you prefer lots of travel in the clutch?
  7. Do you push the shifter into 2nd, or pull it?
  8. Do you prefer short throw or long throw?
  9. Tall gear stick or short gear stick?
  10. What makes a manual special for you?
  11. What makes a really, really good manual transmission
Those are all I really need. Coming here because google wouldn’t direct me where I wanted to be.

No this will be not be the GTP VGT, but if the feedback is overwhelming positive at the end, I will have done CAD for it so I could begin that process of gathering the troops if wanted. Trying to avoid that whole thing for now because of how it played out. You can find my 5-6 year old sketch in there to see where I’ve come from :lol:

Thank you!

1. Circular
  2. Too far apart, brake pedal too soft which means that I can push the brake pedal too deep and the distance travel between the brake pedal and the gas pedal is too big resulting in releasing the brake pedal every time I want to blip the gas pedal.
  3. The traditional way, behind the wheel
  4. Doesn't really matter. Everybody will adjust
  5. Same as 4.
  6. Yes but not too much though. Better too much than too little travel
  7. Pull
  8. Short throw
  9. Short
  10. Hand - leg coordination. More involvement. Need more technique. Able to shift whenever you want without software shifting in my place and messing up my driving style. :P
  11. Able to shift very fast (short throw). Sporty feeling, direct and precise.

1. Like the knob of a walking cane, as in many cars. (None of the above)
  2. I would use my heel for the gas pedal, but the transmission tunnel in my Legacy is too close, so I have to mostly tilt my foot instead.
  3. I prefer a traditional analog gauge cluster with the option of a HUD projected onto the windshield.
  4. Textured rubber for winter driving with snow/ice/mud on your shoes.
  5. Would feel a bit like driving a riding lawnmower.
  6. Medium length.
  7. My car is a standard 5-speed, but I'm not opposed to a dog-leg gear layout. Reverse to the left of 1st is cool too; good for if you get stuck in the snow.
  8. Medium-short throw.
  9. Medium-short stick.
  10. Manually controlling the engine's torque output to the transmission with the clutch, giving me ultimate autonomy and confidence over the vehicle. Physically engaging the gears, which allows me to literally keep in touch with the transmission's condition and oil temperature. Mastering a skill and enjoying it every day.
  11. A smooth and easy throw with the shifter, with good synchros. Not too loose, not too tight and short-throw.

1. Circular, almost ball shaped and made from delrin. Metal knobs have too much heat transfer.
    2. I swing my heel out traditionally in the 911. The gas pedal is floor mounted.
    3. Classically, behind the steering wheel
    4. Flat and floor mounted
    5. Don't care for the feel of this. Aircooled 911s are like this and feel like the pedal is traveling in an arc.
    6. Very short. Ferrari is good at this, especially the 550.
    7. Pull, but a dogleg shifter with first to the bottom right would be neat too.
    8. Short
    9. Tall, and near 3 o'clock on the steering wheel.
    10. Knowing that I have complete control over the balance of the car.
    11. Solid feeling in the gearshifter, like a bolt action rifle, and pedals positioned close enough to heel/toe. Having a comfortable dead pedal is important too.

Latest Posts

Back