Some random tuning noob questions

• Thread starter Metfanant
  • 10 comments
United States
New York
Metfanant
Metfanant
Hey guys, been getting back into GT7 quite a bit recently, grinding for the platinum (only thing left is the 3 legend cars), and I've been doing some more messing with tuning.

1. I'm a Viper guy, so I do most of my races with Vipers. Gr.3, Gr.4, use street Vipers a lot for other races. I know the Viper isn't meta, but I just like to use it. I've noticed more so than most cars that while they seem to be able to hold a good speed through corners, they just want to understeer like CRAZY, especially under braking. I understand the physics of why a car looses grip under braking, but I'm wondering if there is something in the setup that I can do to somewhat mitigate it?

Obviously we're talking two entirely different classes of car, with completely different chassis, but something like the M3 Sport Evolution will happily dance around, and turn in pretty sharply seemingly no matter what you're doing with the brakes. In something like the Vipers it feels like you REALLY need to be done braking before turn-in. As soon as you're off the brakes the car will turn in super sharp and hold good speed.

2. Racing Brakes vs Carbon Ceramic: Any difference other than cosmetic?

Understeer under braking, i.e. refusal to turn in, can usually be cured by setting the brake bias more rearwards. But you will lose overall braking force (rear bias does not mean the rear brake force is upgraded, it means the front is reduced).

LSD decel also matters at turn in, but I find this has more of an effect when you have just released the brakes. Higher decel setting is more stability/understeer, lower setting is looser.

Understeer under braking, i.e. refusal to turn in, can usually be cured by setting the brake bias more rearwards. But you will lose overall braking force (rear bias does not mean the rear brake force is upgraded, it means the front is reduced).

LSD decel also matters at turn in, but I find this has more of an effect when you have just released the brakes. Higher decel setting is more stability/understeer, lower setting is looser.
I've wondered if some LSD settings could help, and I'll try playing around with it...I'm not optimistic. I fear this is somewhat just the way the Vipers behave within the design of PD's physics engine

I'm not an expert by any means and I dont even play GT7 anymore. But doesnt the Viper has a HUGE engine way up front, hence a very front weight biased car. So maybe changing the centre of gravity more rearward, either by changing the ride height (raising the front, lowering the rear, or both) or by adding ballast (the Gr3 might even have an option for longitudinal weight bias) if thats an option at all? Might be worth a shot.

Edit: maybe harder tyres at the rear and softer at the front could help as well?

Last edited:
hence a very front weight biased car.
1706880615588.png

Also applies to the Gr.4 Viper, and STR10 06.
Havent checked all the other available versions.

Nearly perfect weight distribution. Thats interesting. You'd expect it to be a bit less understeery then.

My advice to move it rearwards still stands though :)
Not saying its a magic bullet but could be worth experimenting with.

I'm going to use the Gr4 NSX as a example. This car has a natural under steer and can be frustrating to race. To combat this I tried a few things. i made the rear sway bar stiffer by +2 from the front sway bar. Then I made the front rebound stiffer by +4, leaving the rear setting stock. And when the daily events allow, I adjust the diff by -20.

Nearly perfect weight distribution. Thats interesting. You'd expect it to be a bit less understeery then.

My advice to move it rearwards still stands though :)
Not saying its a magic bullet but could be worth experimenting with.
About the weight distribution:
it actually depending on a few factors more than just that perfect middleground between front and rear.
Ideally, a car would be build around having that 50:50, but because of how weight transfer and aerodynamics work, it might for general racing purpose be better to have a slightly different distribution.
In GT7 also if you want to combat tyrewear, lighter of course is better, yet with added weight front or rear you can redistribute tyrewear a bit, which may bring just the extra lap you want on the softs instead of needing to pit at the cost of a bit of acceleration and cornering speed. It can be a worthwhile sacrifice, but this is depending on the cars specs.

For example
1707470501567.png

2 cars with absolutely identical setup in all regards, same engine, aero, and so on.
Both setup to 50:50 with required adding weight for this comment.

Shelby: top speed x, sliding around
Cayman: top speed x + 10%, glued to the track in the very same corner

So I jumped in the Gr4 Viper to see if I could make it handle. This car will run in the low 33's if you can put a lap together. Give it a try and let me know.

Last edited:
I know that this is the last day for this set of daily events but I can't leave things alone. So here is a new tune for the Viper.

Back