Somewhat "dirty" strategies

• Thread starter Met Entso
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
Barcelona
Metentso
The push-to-pass: sadly very common, when a driver gets the inside of a turn and nonchalantly pushes you just enough for him to get ahead of you.

The defend-not-defend: when a driver moves to the inside before a corner to apparently defend, but oh just a few meters before the corner turns again to the outside in front of you, or sometimes threatening contact, so he has still the good line, making you brake early or avoid him.

What to do against those shadowy strategies? I have no idea and the push to pass is really annoying. And probably there are some more.

Last edited:
I have no clue for the push to pass thingy. It annoys me so much. Often times you even get a penalty because he pushes you over the line and he gets nothing. If you see it coming on the radar you can usually let him through and he wont make the corner. The old over-under.

For the defend-not-defend thingy I usually spin him around or push him in the back. I have no patience for this ****. If you defend the inside but move back to my line before the braking point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let it happen but if it happens again, I'll spin you around if my nose is far enough alongside him. If he manages to get in front of me he gets a slight push in the back to force him wide. There is no other way. I've given room sooo many times just to lose out to the guys behind me. Once is fine, maybe it was a mistake but if this style of driving is your strategy, I'll take you out.

Last edited:
I have no clue for the push to pass thingy. It annoys me so much. Often times you even get a penalty because he pushes you over the line and he gets nothing. If you see it coming on the radar you can usually let him through and he wont make the corner. The old over-under.

For the defend-not-defend thingy I usually spin him around or push him in the back. I have no patience for this ****. If you defend the inside but move back to my line before the braking point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let it happen but if it happens again, I'll spin you around if my nose is far enough alongside him. If he manages to get in front of me he gets a slight push in the back to force him wide. There is no other way. I've given room sooo many times just to lose out to the guys behind me. Once is fine, maybe it was a mistake but if this style of driving is your strategy, I'll take you out.
Is there a defined time difference between the two cars that determines if the lead car is defending?

Is there a defined time difference between the two cars that determines if the lead car is defending?
Not sure what you mean. OP wasn't talking about defending your position. OP was talking about the id*ots that are basically weaving on the straights (blocking inside before the corner and then move back to the racing line). I am totally fine with defending but there are certain things you shouldn't do. It's basically the same stuff like in real life.

Last edited:
First off, any side to side movement or change of lines in the braking zone is just plain poor racecraft. 1 move on the straight is allowed from corner to corner. Example, you come out of a corner that you late apex'd, and you post up on a centered or inside line off the corner, you can make a move to the outside or further inside (depending on situation), but you cannot wait to til the batking zone to do this, nor can you make a 2nd move which then constitutes blocking. The idea, is as a lead car, you can choose your line on a straight, and change that one time prior to the braking zone. Now, if any part of a chasing car is next to the lead car, the lead car is expected to afford the chasing car his line.
As for cornering, proper racecraft expects that an attacking car must establish proper overlap prior to turn in (the point that the lead driver makes his final commitment/movement to the corner entry). As long as the chase car's nose is up to the driver position of the lead car, it is expected that the lead car afford the other space for their line without contact or minimal contact.
In regards to your reference of a driver coming in underneath, it is his responsibility to hold his line and not press out into yours. A little bumping/rubbing os to be expected, but it should not take you off your line...if so, it is an infraction and poor racecraft. Sadly, GT7 does not penalize under these pretenses, therefore, you need to drive with this in mind. On Sport mode where these moves are prevalent, I deliberately post my car up on the deep inside on the straight. Sure, it slows my speed around the corner overall, but I am legally defending the inside line on the straight and into the corner....just be sure not to move out wide in the braking zone, as that in itself becomes poor race craft. By holding the inside line, you force the opponent to go offline and where he doesnt want to go, and places the burden of risk on him. That is legal defending, but also be ceratin not to drift out on him...hold your line. If he is able to round you on the outside, you must leave the car's width of track space on the exit for him....but if he executes the overtake, hats off to a clean and respectful pass...and well earned.

Saying you are releasing an update with 3 cars, but then restricting access to one of them unless you spend $4,600 on a real watch or you have to wait a month for that car.

Last edited:
Back