Songs that remind you of someone...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Touring Mars
  • 4 comments
  • 1,229 views

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Staff Emeritus
Messages
31,336
Scotland
Edinburgh
Messages
GTP_Mars
Where to start... one song at a time perhaps... So many songs, so many memories, but occasionally a song comes on that in inextricably linked to one particular person, or for one particular reason... so let's here them!

Here's one of mine:

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll... Too Young To Die" by Jethro Tull

​


This song reminds me of my mate Tony in London - a 50-yr old Ph.D student, and possibly the most intelligent person I've ever met (and I've met two Nobel prize winners amongst many high-powered academics in my time), but he used to be one of the weirdest people and heaviest drinkers I knew too! Last time I saw him was late 2006, we arranged to meet for a rare "liquid lunch" one Friday near Xmas, which involved literally no food whatsoever. A couple of ex-workmates joined us, but they went back to work after lunch, and we stayed in the pub. Our friends came back to the pub after work to find us still there, and still going for it. Come 10 pm, Tony had fallen asleep and was thrown out by security, as I tried to explain to him what was going on... I stuck him in a taxi and stuffed a £20 note in his hand, and that was the last time I ever saw him. One night, I went out with Tony and I ran out of cash, but he just kept buying beer anyway, albeit three pints at a time - two for himself and one for me. Now, I'm not a slow drinker, nor am I too proud to drink free beer... but Tony could seriously put it away, hence why he didn't go out drinking very often!

Other songs that fit the bill: Anything by Marillion or Tomita
 
Last edited:
Very nice TM. 👍

I am reminded of a song by Mike and the Mechanics,that always brings my father to mind,(R.I.P.).We had a good relationship,but like all parents and kids,there are some differences of opinion that you go through.You have to remember that you only get 1 set of parents in your lifetime,make the best of them,because as the song goes "it's too late,when we die".

 
Schön Sein, by Die Toten Hosen.



I met a girl on the Internet. She lived in Italy, but she was from Argentina. Well, I loved her, if that's even possible on an Internet relationship. After a few months, she got a boyfriend, and eventually, things got bad between us. She got mad at me, and we stopped talking . I used to listen to this song when we were still talking to each other. I love her so bad that whenever I listen to this song, she comes directly into my mind.



Great thread, Touring Mars. It was time we had one like this.
 
'**** **** **** ******* **** **** ****'

By some guy on b3ta. Reminds me of my ex.
 
Meat Loaf - Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer than They Are



Reminds me of Ayrton Senna. It was released in May '94 and includes the lines...

But I can still recall the sting of all the tears when he was gone
They said he crashed and burned
I know I'll never learn why any boy should die so young

:(
 
Back