Sony and Nintendo?

• Thread starter TJ13
  • 12 comments
Sony was making a disc-based console for Nintendo, but eventually decided to do their own thing and that's how the PlayStation became it's own console instead of a Nintendo.

Never would have expected to see a prototype of it ever.

I assumed prototypes were either destroyed or kept under lock and key. I'll await the eBay ad or the like, couldn't imagine what collectors would be willing to pay for it. Assuming the owner is going to sell it of course.

@GTPorsche -- It was a joke. See the edit posted to the article in the tweet:
http://pxlbbq.com/la-snes-cd-quand-nintendo-x-sony/
For non-French speakers: French is a complex language . Especially when there is a little Belgian inside. » Google translate » is not yet very good at jokes. This article does not talk about « custom » video-games console, just a joke with a real belgian artist » Vadu Amka « and french video games historian » Florent Gorges « . This discovery is so strong , that one might think of a Fake . So we laughed . But I think theses pictures… It’s true WELL! Make attention to rumors and liars. They do not like humor. Well, now we all hope Dan Diebold will find a plug to try this amazing prototype! ; )

It's a bit more than that though. The story doesn't add up, and the aging on the plastic doesn't seem right.

Sony was making a disc-based console for Nintendo, but eventually decided to do their own thing and that's how the PlayStation became it's own console instead of a Nintendo.

Never would have expected to see a prototype of it ever.
Actually, you are missing quite a few pieces of the story there. Around the early-90's, Nintendo wanted to partner up with Sony to create a CD-based add on to the Super Nintendo to expand the life cycle. Sony, already slighted by Sega, who earlier put out the Sega CD, agreed.

At the Consumer Electronic Show was when the new partnership was supposed to come to be revealed to the public, but Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back and partnered with Phillips (yes, that Phillips) to make the CD add-on. Sony, wanting to scrap all ideas of a console, was convinced by Ken Katsuragi to take that research and develop a new console from it. Thus, the Playstation is born.

Actually, you are missing quite a few pieces of the story there. Around the early-90's, Nintendo wanted to partner up with Sony to create a CD-based add on to the Super Nintendo to expand the life cycle. Sony, already slighted by Sega, who earlier put out the Sega CD, agreed.

At the Consumer Electronic Show was when the new partnership was supposed to come to be revealed to the public, but Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back and partnered with Phillips (yes, that Phillips) to make the CD add-on. Sony, wanting to scrap all ideas of a console, was convinced by Ken Katsuragi to take that research and develop a new console from it. Thus, the Playstation is born.

Correction. My childhood was born :lol:

So many great memories with Playstation consoles throughout the years.

It looks pretty real to me even down to the yellowing of the plastic. I would be very surprised that Nintendo would have ever let any prototypes leave the premises so yeah I guess it's fake which is a shame as it would have made an awesome story.

Think where Nintendo and Sony would be today if this had gone ahead, it's scary to think what kind of parallel universe we would now be living in :lol:

Polygon has posted an article on how this discovery came to light.

You're missing another couple pieces of the story. ;) Sony and Nintendo fell into disagreements over who would control software licensing for the SNES-CD format, and that spurred Nintendo to turn to Phillips to secure a more favorable deal. It was after the betrayal that Sony approached Sega to make a console, and Sega turned them down.

The prototype is getting another piece of history. This week, the Nintendo Playstation (what they called it in this video), is being restored by famed engineer Ben Heck. This is the tear down of the prototype. Their stated goal is to make it play a music CD, since they don't have any software for it.

EDIT: Added in the Repair portion of the program.

Last edited:
Back