Sony Celebrates Half a Billion PlayStations With a PS4 Special Edition

Today in "Things I Want To Buy But Don't Have Money Or Reason To"...

Please tell me the controller will be sold separately. Please. I don't care that I already have a custom DualShock 4 I'm not gonna part with. I've been thinking about getting a second one to play PS1 games with my friends.

Today in "Things I Want To Buy But Don't Have Money Or Reason To"...

Please tell me the controller will be sold separately. Please. I don't care that I already have a custom DualShock 4 I'm not gonna part with. I've been thinking about getting a second one to play PS1 games with my friends.
The 500 Million Limited Edition DualShock 4 will also be available as a standalone for $64.99 USD (MSRP) / $74.99 CAD (MSRP).

This really makes little sense unless you don't already own a Pro or have one that's on its last legs (which shouldn't be likely as the Pro isn't all that old).

By all accounts the PS5 is just around the corner launching or at least being announced in the next 12 months so if you were thinking with your head you would probably wait and pay the same (or maybe $50-100) more and get that. However thinking purely on aesthetics it is kinda purdy...

Sony should have done the 500 million edition as a launch PS5 (Project Scorpio style) thing, even if by then they had gone slightly over that number.

I'm kind of confused. Will it be sold by a small chain of selected few retailers? Checking local stores almost every day, preorders haven't been an option so far. And the selected few of retailers won't ship to my country.

upd: actually no, found two that seem to be offering preorders for consoles (one of them, however, decided to do that via lottery), and one that also offers preorders for gamepaps, though this one seems to be a little more shady than the ones that offer just consoles alone... Anyway, whatever, gotta keep my patience strong until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Apology for doubleposting, but I've finally got the controller.
As much as my hands don't appreciate the glossiness of the front shell, it's really awesome. The color scheme looks really nice in flesh (best one so far in my opinion). It's not as transparent as crystal ones, but the insides can still be seen.
Overall I really like it. Wasn't the best way to spend my money, but it definitely was worth it, I think. I'll have to cope with the glossy front though.

I purchased the controller yesterday. I needed a new one since I spilled some strawberry jam on my
other one making the options, square and PS buttons and the touch pad a bit wonky. :dunce:
I've had my eye on the green cammo controller even before the strawberry jam incident, but the choice was an easy
one seeing as the cammo would cost £58 from Amazon (with shipping) and the 500 Million controller £53 from a local store.

I spilled some strawberry jam on my
other one making the options, square and PS buttons and the touch pad a bit wonky. :dunce:
Normally I'd recommend disassembling the controller and cleaning its insides, but DS4s have these freaking clips, which are probably designed to break upon controller's disassembly. :mad:

the cammo would cost £58 from Amazon (with shipping) and the 500 Million controller £53 from a local store
Yeah, there's a thing with normal and special edition controllers being sold for a similar price, which is mostly affected by the store you buy it from. However, as soon as their production ends....

Back