Sony Confirms Second Generation of PSVR for PlayStation 5

I was guessing it would cost $499. But given the recent price increase on the PS5, I guess I should have seen this coming. I'm still firmly in at $549, though. I had an absolute blast with PSVR1. The only downsides were that the tracking wasn't all that great some times and the process of connecting it, disconnecting it, getting everything set up, etc... was a pain. Especially since the breakout box didn't support HDR, so you couldn't just leave it plugged in all the time.
I might hold off on the docking station for the controllers initially. $50 seems a bit steep for that. And I'm not THAT lazy.
On GT7 compatibility, I'm pretty sure I remember Kaz mentioning support somewhere. The extent of the support remains fuzzy, though. I'd hope that it is FAR more deeply integrated than in GTS.

Says the guy who has a 10,000 euro sound system. If $600 is nothing to you, you have nothing to contribute to whether an item provides value for that cost to someone with limited funds. You have enough money that the price of it is largely irrelevant to you, and whether you blow it on this trinket or something else hardly matters to you.

Go buy some microtransactions or something.

I am not rich by any means i saved money for many years, its not like can spend €10000 in month, its proably 2 years of saving, $600 might not be cheap for everyone and its quite some money for most i would guess, but psvr2 still seems like better value than previous vr considering how much better perfomence you will get, i guess you will have to pay same amount of money on vr headsets on pc with same specs, its still a big win for playstation to offer this kind of vr becouse Xbox dosent have vr support, if we get full var support on multiply games it could be worth the investment

It is expensive but they'd only have Wipeout Omega collection upgraded and I'd buy one straight away.

People saying it's too expensive. Sony said the VR, if released at the same time as the PS5 it would double the price. It is 4K. What would you think it would cost?

It depends on how you look at it, campared to ps4vr it dosen’t offer less value for the money, you only got 720p with ps4vr while ps5vr will offer 2k thats quite big difference in visual quality, it will in deed look much better, but its up to everyone of they think the investment is worth, $600 is nothing for me if it will offer gt7 at fullsupport and 2 resident evil games are already confirmed, i have a sound system that cost €10000 so that price of $600 is not crazy if it can enough support for different games, if you really are into something you find way to get there
Obviously it depends on how you look at it, I could quite easilly afford it, but I won't be buying it. I may consider it in future if the price comes down and there ends up being enough games that utilise it well and I have bought a PS5 first (obviousely), but even then, that's unlikely as I simply don't game enough to justify it generally (hence the reason i still don't have a PS5).

If you do comparisons to PC headsets it's still priced a little high to me, it's not as expensive as the super expensive PC headsets like the VIVE Pro, it's closer in price to the VIVE Cosmos, though still a bit more expensive than that. However there are also a wealth of other headsets available for PC and stand alone headsets that you can purchase for a lot less (with varying degrees of quality of course). But IMO it's being priced at the high end of the spectrum for what it is. But I think VR headsets are still very niche, and they are still generally priced as such.

People value things differently, hence the reason you paid significantly for your sound system, you obviousely have a high degree of interest in sound/music and value the experience. If someone values the VR experience enough then they will probably buy it if they can afford it.

Last edited:
Obviously it depends on how you look at it, I could quite easilly afford it, but I won't be buying it. I may consider it in future if the price comes down and there ends up being enough games that utilise it well and I have bought a PS5 first (obviousely), but even then, that's unlikely as I simply don't game enough to justify it generally (hence the reason i still don't have a PS5).

If you do comparisons to PC headsets it's still priced a little high to me, it's not as expensive as the super expensive PC headsets like the VIVE Pro, it's closer in price to the VIVE Cosmos, though still a bit more expensive than that. However there are also a wealth of other headsets available for PC and stand alone headsets that you can purchase for a lot less (with varying degrees of quality of course). But IMO it's being priced at the high end of the spectrum for what it is. But I think VR headsets are still very niche, and they are still generally priced as such.

People value things differently, hence the reason you paid significantly for your sound system, you obviousely have a high degree of interest in sound/music and value the experience. If someone values the VR experience enough then they will probably buy it if they can afford it.

I won’t buy it day one, but i think the worth of it depends on what support it gets on ps5 games

No. How often do you buy phones? Mine's 4 years old and it's not getting replaced any time soon.
Mine is 3.5 years old. My cycle for these things is 5 years.

This isn't the point though. It's to say how expensive things have become. PSVR2 and PS5 combined are cheaper than the latest iphone max pro. Flagship phones don't last in stock* while PS5's are collecting dust at every store*.

Sony's asking price is more than fair for the year 2022. People are just being left behind but that's not topic here.

edit

Where I live*

Last edited:
"On October 13, 2016, Sony released the PlayStation VR with the price of $399 in the US, €399 in Europe, £349 in the UK"

barely cheaper ?
$399 in 2016 is $493 today. And if you assume inflation in key markets like the US and EUR remain at or around 8% for much of next year then that $399 in 2016 works out to be $532 in 2023. A camera was also needed to play PSVR which was $60 - or $75 in today's money.

The pricing is not far off to be honest. And blimey does that suck.

Last edited:
I'll buy it when GT7 is fully supported. Price isn't bad for a seemingly premium product. I kinda wish there were a more premium version of the PS5 made out of aluminum with higher specs. I'd be all over that.

Price is ok to me, this is high end VR headset. Now we need racing titles like GT7, F1, and upcoming Dirt Rally 3. Sony should also make VR versions for they first party games, and i mean full VR version and not some half baked VR mode.

I have registered, but I haven’t gotten an email yet.

Friends of mine have. So I assume im out of luck to get one through the PlayStation store.

What are my other options here in Germany to secure one for launch day?

The Price is actually higher than I expected, but still i will buy it. I hope we will get GT7 PSVR2 support and more racing/simulation games for it.
Also would love to see HL Alyx on PS5 for PSVR2

The Price is actually higher than I expected, but still i will buy it. I hope we will get GT7 PSVR2 support and more racing/simulation games for it.
Also would love to see HL Alyx on PS5 for PSVR2
It's been confirmed for a while now.

Yes. At the trade launch event. There are video's on YouTube.

I keep track of this stuff and this is the first time hearing about a confirmation.
A quick google just just came back with the rumors I am well aware of, but that’s it.

EDIT: wait, are we talking about HL Alyx?

Last edited:
I keep track of this stuff and this is the first time hearing about a confirmation.
A quick google just just came back with the rumors I am well aware of, but that’s it.

EDIT: wait, are we talking about HL Alyx?
Yes.

Got my preorder invite for tomorrow but going to pass. Still too many unknowns. May pick one up this time next year when there are more than just the launch games available.

Got my preorder invite for tomorrow but going to pass. Still too many unknowns. May pick one up this time next year when there are more than just the launch games available.
I got the pre-order invite today also. But I'll probably grab it for now. If GT7 doesn't end up making the full game work on it, I won't open it and just sell it.

I got the pre-order invite today also. But I'll probably grab it for now. If GT7 doesn't end up making the full game work on it, I won't open it and just sell it.

Samezees on all accounts

Last edited:
Same plan. And I heard that PS Direct won't actually charge your card until shipping, very kind to my wallet.

Let’s go!

Attachments

• 685CBA40-B1CB-4217-9BB8-D2A9CD21E5D9.jpeg
    685CBA40-B1CB-4217-9BB8-D2A9CD21E5D9.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 9
Back