Sony PSP Review

• Thread starter LegacySTI
  • 9 comments
psp_t_1-vi.jpg

psp_t_2-vi.jpg

Caution: "You're entering a no-spin zone" - Bill O'Reilly

Here it is Santa Claus in the Brown outfit and big brown sleigh dropped off my Sony PSP value pack last week, I spend a good the entire weekend using the device.

I'm not gonna go into complete details, since it is covered at many websites and reviews.

The best thing about the PSP, the screen.. it is by far the best screen I ever seen in a portable, the iRiver PMP and the Archos can't compare, their screens are too dull and non-reflective to compete with this bright and liquid smooth screen.

If you like the GBA's wrap around ergonomics, you'll like the PSP's form factor, it is perfect, where the DS requires my middle finger bent to hold the DS, there is no weight on my middle finger from the PSP.

As far as weight, I think both DS and PSP are about the same.. however the PSP has better weight distribution because it doesn't have a 2nd screen hanging tilt. At times, adjusting the DS's reflective screen is difficult, the angle settings are bothersome.. The PSP's screen is brilliant, it is very bright but yet the mask on it is non-reflective, I had the sun shine against my face and it absorbed the sun's brightness..

In terms of presentation, the PSP hands down the winner, the welcome screen and sheer number of options makes the DS feel like a child's toy.

Folks, the PSP is not for kids!!!! this is why I say they are not direct competitors. I think it takes a 12 yr old+ to properly use the PSP. Where the Nintendo DS is about game playing, the PSP is about entertainment. It feels like a PDA, it has all types of settings and functions to view images or media, the DS just shows gaming...

I had a lot of time on my DS, I completely feel the experience was very youthful. Mario64 DS was just too kiddie for me and coming off playing Half-Life 2 and Halo 2.. My biggest problem with the DS so far is that, just as EGM (12/04 issue) documented that the DS's touch screen function is just nifty but troublesome.. the controls are just too slow and un-responsive.. I wished Nintendo went with a wide screen than dual-screen, maybe Advance Wars DS will change my mind but so far, I'm not impressed with any DS game that uses the touch screen. You might say that I'm slow with my thumb, I happened to be the most indiscriminate user in terms of gadgets but the touch screen gets annoying after awhile, even in Metroid it is cumbersome.

Ridge Racer PSP is phenomenal, feels like GT3 in terms of the action and the analog stick on the PSP worked great.

In summary, the Sony PSP rocks so hard that the amount of pleasure is pretty close to my 1st Dreamcast gaming experience.

I do want to challenge some misconceptions and deceptions on the web and especially all the closed-minded folks here..

Deception #1: PSP is littered with defects...

Truth: This is the most well designed and engineered piece of handheld gadget I ever owned..(Ipod 5GB 1st Gen being 2nd, my Victor Minidisc player 3rd) Makes PocketPC look like a lump of coal, this thing is sleek.

Deception #2: The DS is better than PSP

Truth: I happened to think, they are not direct competitors... no way.. DS will exist alongside the PSP just like the Gamecube & PS2 can share marketplace. However in my case, my gaming requirements, it exceeds the DS by several factors.

Deception #3: Slow load times..

Truth: If you know how long it takes for your Ipod to start up, that's how long it takes for the PSP to start up. DS clearly advantage here.

Deception #4: UMD popping out

Truth: The video on the net is definitely a Mario-fanboy deception, the guy was playing with the hand on the "open" button, not smart to be playing a game and ejecting the game in the middle.. definitely a hoax.

Deception #5: Analog Buttons are not even

Truth: Mine looks perfectly fine and even. Maybe somebody has a heavy hand and they got one that was made on a Saturday(Japanese are lazier on Saturdays, compared to Fridays here..)

Deception #6: Battery Life

Truth: I have had it running straight the longest being 2 hrs but on and off for 3 days without having my battery die on me. Not a fair test but it's a pretty real world test because with the NIntendo DS, it's the same thing, my usage typically avgs about 30-40mins each play in between without the battery die one me it's considered adaquet.. of course usage varies with people.. However it is greatly exaggerated that some died in 90mins. I played it for 30mins when I opened it out of box, not even charged... no issue there..

Well, all I can say is that, most teenagers & adults will be blown away by the PSP, I am still in the "wow" phase. The DS's "wow" factor wore off of me in just 2 hours, I was left wondering where was Nintendo's ingenuity. after a day.. the clam shell plastic hollow case was not a solid design...
But, to its target audience Nintendo did deliver the biggest change to the Gameboy lineup in over 15 yrs.

psp_t_3-vi.jpg

My current handhelds.. YES I HAVE A DS!
psp_t_5-vi.jpg

Big Drift!
psp_t_6-vi.jpg

psp_t_7-vi.jpg

Where to go from here... I fully expect that the PSP will create a bigger uproar in the US, later in 2005 than the DS only momentarily got our attention so far...

Thanks Great Review of the PSP. I really want a DS but also want a PSP (GT4 someday:dunce:) I will wait until the price falls a little next spring.👍

Excelent review, pretty much summed up what the PSP can do and how much superiority it has over the DS. I love the photo with the DS,SP's and PSP. DS just looks like a cheap handheld/prototype, and seems that Nintendo have gone backwards as the SP design was much better. Nintendo haven't even made the screen bigger!! Once again thanks, this is exactly what I was waiting for in a review.

I would really love for classic PS1 games to show up on PSP. Front Mission 3, Fear Effect 2, Castlevainia Symphony, and many others,

Also where can i find this video with the UMD's popping out? Ok I saw a video but i dont get. Who would be holding it like ehtat in the first place?

Wow.. I can't wait for this sucker to hit the shelves here in the USA.. Also, has sony said anything in any way shape or form about being able to purchase re-writeable (or just writeable) UMD's? That way storing music such as mp3s can be even more simple than having to store it on a 512mb stick of memory..

Already pre-ordered a Gran Turismo edition one from a Gamestore in Japan. Told me to expect it in '05 around the same time due to the demand.
Dang. However, can't wait.

True, I don't like holding the DS. Myabe its b/c I don't exactly have large hands, but it just feels big in ym hands. When I held a PSP at the '04 E3, it was nice and light.

What else have you seen that's a big hoax? Is the Value Pack extremely worth it? B/c I already ordered mine with it.

I played around with MP3 and pics, PSP makes a very nice photoalbum viewer, the screen is fantastic.

MP3 playback is decent but I wouldn't giveup an ipod for it, the PSP speakers are good for gaming but not good for blasting music.

I ordered a 512MB Sandisk memorystick and it works with it. You have to format it 1st.

Ridge Racer's intro looks fantastic, complete full color cgi video, not one of those static pictures.

For somebody who wants one of these PSP's really badly, can someone explain a few questions to me please.

1. How do I get MP3's or other music on my PC onto the PSP?

2. Does it play .AVI, .MPEG or Windows Media files?

3. Can it play DVD format?

4. Can u watch movies on it and if so how? Will they be available on the UMD format?

5. Does it have a USB port?

Thanks

Back