SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/360453/cost-after-cost-stranded-container

That's my step mum, father and half sister.

Cost after cost after blimmin cost they've had to go through just to get their belongings.
Effectively they are paying all the bills the company should have paid when they gave the company their money to ship their belongings, but because the company didn't pay anyone (not even insurance, so if it went overboard they woulda lost everything with no compensation), they are having to borrow money to pay themselves. I've given them $4,000 of my savings, and my wife took out a $2,000 loan and lent them $400 of her own money. But the costs are still coming in!!

Fumigation turned out to be $500 something, and now the moving company (i think?) want $2,000 for something, PLUS they still have to fork out $400-$2,500 (depending whether renting a truck or paying a company) to get their belongings to their house 500km's away.

They are mega stressed out, beyond being at their wits end, and i've already given as much as i think i can. I contacted the newspaper, gave them money, tried to spread the word further, tried using people i know to get things cheaper (didn't work) and so on.

Maritime commission in the USA is sending in their big guns i think (and shutting the company down?), because even they can't get hold of them.

A huge fricking mess, and not a very nice 'Welcome to New Zealand' for my step mum and sister. :grumpy:

Any ideas mega welcome...

Someone in my step mums family started a money raising page. They intend on paying us back our money, but not sure how the people on the site would be paid back, unless you can leave details on it?
If any of you have a couple of dollars spare, it could go a long way. https://www.gofundme.com/gz6pj6ps

So sorry for posting that link up, but it's pretty much my last ditch effort to help them - i've completely run out of ideas, since the newspaper idea didn't garner as much response as i thought/hoped it might (was hoping a truck company would pop up and offer to transport their belongings down for free, or at a mega discounted rate). :(

http://www.swiftintermove.com/

Last edited:
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/360453/cost-after-cost-stranded-container

That's my step mum, father and half sister.

Cost after cost after blimmin cost they've had to go through just to get their belongings.
Effectively they are paying all the bills the company should have paid when they gave the company their money to ship their belongings, but because the company didn't pay anyone (not even insurance, so if it went overboard they woulda lost everything with no compensation), they are having to borrow money to pay themselves. I've given them $4,000 of my savings, and my wife took out a $2,000 loan and lent them $400 of her own money. But the costs are still coming in!!

Fumigation turned out to be $500 something, and now the moving company (i think?) want $2,000 for something, PLUS they still have to fork out $400-$2,500 (depending whether renting a truck or paying a company) to get their belongings to their house 500km's away.

They are mega stressed out, beyond being at their wits end, and i've already given as much as i think i can. I contacted the newspaper, gave them money, tried to spread the word further, tried using people i know to get things cheaper (didn't work) and so on.

Maritime commission in the USA is sending in their big guns i think (and shutting the company down?), because even they can't get hold of them.

A huge fricking mess, and not a very nice 'Welcome to New Zealand' for my step mum and sister. :grumpy:

Any ideas mega welcome...

Someone in my step mums family started a money raising page. They intend on paying us back our money, but not sure how the people on the site would be paid back, unless you can leave details on it?
If any of you have a couple of dollars spare, it could go a long way. https://www.gofundme.com/gz6pj6ps

So sorry for posting that link up, but it's pretty much my last ditch effort to help them - i've completely run out of ideas, since the newspaper idea didn't garner as much response as i thought/hoped it might (was hoping a truck company would pop up and offer to transport their belongings down for free, or at a mega discounted rate). :(

http://www.swiftintermove.com/
Yelp might be a better place for this.

Tried Facebook, tried a few forums, tried the newspaper, tried a number of my contacts and still nothing. People go mental over here with help when someone loses their favourite sock or their SubWay card, but people have just been so blase about this - it's actually knocked me for six a bit, as it is so out of the ordinary.

Then again, the article was put in Friday's paper, and that was the start of a three day weekend here (Labour Day today, Monday) so perhaps most people were leaving for their holiday?

It's just so frustrating, and a lot of their family members and people they thought were friends have gone quiet, not even donating $5. With a few friends and family this is okay, because they are not well off, but a number of friends and family are quite well off (like one couple who recently bought a '15 Mustang and F250, and another who are always travelling around the world).

My step mum said the other day that we've given them $7,000, not 6.4k like i thought. We've got a mortgage as well so can't really afford to be giving money away, yet we did.

And TeamTZR, they looked at reviews of this company on Yelp and BBB before using them, and it wasn't overly bad at the time. But posting this on Yelp right now is pointless, as it isn't going to get them the remaining $2,500 or more that they need to finally pay off these uncompassionate NZ companies (Lyttelton Port, a moving company - who are only transporting the stuff half an hour or so away, and a trucking company or truck rental company to get the goods from Christchurch to Dunedin).

This whole topic isn't about writing a bad review of a company, it's pleading/begging/praying that someone out there who can help spots this, and offers their assistance, or can lend them a little money (which will be paid back).

They have borrowed money off of anyone and everyone they can yet there is still more to pay.

If Swift did their blimmin (not the word i want to use...) job properly, the most they would have had to pay when they got to New Zealand, was $1,000 to $2,000 - which they were told about and had budgeted for and already paid after they got here. But since then they've had to essentially pay another $8,000+ to all the companies that Swift didn't pay, which means they've paid for these services twice over now.

And that isn't including the holding fees of $50 or more a day that the NZ companies are charging my family, because they haven't been paid by Swift either.

Around every freakin corner are more and more costs - it's absolutely insane! :banghead:

They don't have money for a lawyer, especially when the bills keep coming in. :(

And yes, they did. There was a mention of a few costs that could occur, but were told $2,000 would surely cover them all.

The money they are begging for/borrowing at the moment is essentially the same $8,000+ they paid to the company, because the company kept that money and didn't pay anyone that they had to...

Back