Sorry I didn't see you.

  • Thread starter Thread starter imac_hunt
  • 27 comments
  • 2,048 views
Messages
40
You know on a shoot 'em up when you get shot at from a certain angle the screen goes red in that area of the screen edge to give you an idea of where the fire/bullets are coming from? It would be good if GT5 had a similer type of thing for when you are being overtaken.

Or perhaps as a car comes close to overtake and is along side you a small icon of your car and the overtaking's car position comes up on the very subtle on the centre of the screen as a ghost type image so you can have a better understanding of where he is.

Would stop a load of collisions as now when a car is side by side with you, you have not got a clue how close he/she is when using bumper/interior cam views.
 
This can be a welcome addition to the online portion, not so much offline as the AI doesn't really pose a challenge.
 
Not a bad idea, and it would be particularly handy for NASCAR racing IMO.

Just to note that you can look sideways to see how close someone is, but you need to manually reconfigure your controller to activate the option to look sideways.
 
Yes I agree some type of warning for online would be great.
 
Surround sound is all you need and you will know exactly where the cars are at. :sly:
 
What would've been cool if a team manager buzzed you every lap on the radio telling you how far your competition is and if anyone is trying to sneak up on you.
 
F1 2010 had a concept to what your referring to. A little arrow shaped cursor appeared around the outside of the screen indicating the location of a nearby car.

It worked pretty well to be honest.
 
You can adjust the HUD to display the track very wide and see all around you.
Give it a try.

I have no trouble knowing where the cars around me are though.
I use the bumper cam and the track in the HUD is shown as the whole track so I can know where cars that are not near me are on the track.

I have no clue what options there are for cockpit view as I never use it, so if you use the cockpit view this info may not help.
 
NASCAR games do it I think

Its hard sometimes to get to the D-Pad on the wheel to look left to see exactly where the car beside you is
 
Mirrors....

Many cockpit views occlude most of the mirrors.

A huge problem I see (especially online) is drivers who don't respect the blind spot and don't know not to ride your quarter panels into turns... just because you can see me doesn't mean I can see you...
 
I've been getting into a habit of getting into corner wide if I am way off the pace of the dude coming to pass me. But it'll be nice to be able to use somekind of vitrual mirror or something even in cockpit view. Or offer mirror in hood/roof view...
 
Not a bad idea, and it would be particularly handy for NASCAR racing IMO.

Just to note that you can look sideways to see how close someone is, but you need to manually reconfigure your controller to activate the option to look sideways.

Would be nice if head tracking worked in all modes. I believe I saw somewhere that it only works in arcade. I never race arcade and I don't do much online. Why introduce things to GT5 if they are not going to do it across the board.
 
Surround sound is all you need and you will know exactly where the cars are at. :sly:

I have this, and it's very handy. Can be pretty tense too when you hear that engine roar get closer and closer to the RL speaker. :nervous:
 
In My opinion, sorry if it offends anyone, but

1. Do you have any sort of indicator in real life racing??..... No.

2. If wearing a crash helmet whilst racing, is it easy to check your blind spot at 150mph+??... Not really.

3. Do Polyphony Digital tend to make GT games as realistic as possible?.... Yes

I think they should leave it as it is. I like not knowing where an opponent is, it adds to the great feel of online racing.
 
I think its a good idea. Of course you dont have it in real life but you're not sat in front of a screen then. You are much more aware of your surroundings, you can hear cars and its much easier to glance to the side or at your mirrors but still keep an eye on where you're going.

A proximity indicator and an overlap indicator would be great. Proximity for knowing where an opponent is so you can defend and the overlap indicator to let you know when you didn't defend enough and need to concede the position.

Of course the option to disable it should be a given.
 
In My opinion, sorry if it offends anyone, but

1. Do you have any sort of indicator in real life racing??..... No.


You have peripheral vision in real life and also side mirrors you can see with barely moving your head.
 
good idea! Unfortunately, most of us cannot buy 3 monitors to allow for our excellent human peripheral vision ability to help!

Also, it is a myth that helmets block peripheral vision (maybe, but too a very small extent). Try on some helmets and you should see the eyeports are quite good.

:)
 
You have peripheral vision in real life and also side mirrors you can see with barely moving your head.

...that is partially blocked by your helmet.

When I am on track I can barely hear myself let alone another car near by to my car - mirrors and if I am slower "holding the line" as the faster car finds a way around me - or the blue flag point at me or if I am faster then I expect the slower car to hold its line while I , the faster car find my way past.

That is how real lilfe track traffic works. No need for icons and doodads or even a spotter on anything except an oval track.

:)
 
Of course the option to disable it should be a given.

I agree, everyone has different opinions and ways to play games.

There should always be an option to disable as with the HUD option on 1.05 update.
 
In My opinion, sorry if it offends anyone, but

1. Do you have any sort of indicator in real life racing??..... No.

Yes I do. It's called mirrors that cover most the area around my car and the ability to quickly swivel my head to check my blind spot.

2. If wearing a crash helmet whilst racing, is it easy to check your blind spot at 150mph+??... Not really.

True, but you also can have mirrors that cover more of your surrounding including potential blind spot (wider or concave mirrors) and in real life doing 150 at a track you almost certainly are driving with people who respect your blind spot as their life well depends on it.

3. Do Polyphony Digital tend to make GT games as realistic as possible?.... Yes

No, realistic as reasonable with some leeway for useability and playability. Do you have to sit in your car as the turbo cools down? Do you have to load your car into a truck and drive it to your next race? In real life do you buy tires once and have an unlimited supply of them forever? In real life do you race profeesional racing events for money with invincible cars? Do you have access to current standings and exactly location of other racers way across the track and out of view from you in real life? The list goes on and on...

People always pull out the "it's realistic" card to rationalize something you might not like forgetting that despite how realistic SOME portions of the game are, others are completely unrealistic.

I think they should leave it as it is. I like not knowing where an opponent is, it adds to the great feel of online racing.

This reminds me of a discussion I had on a camera forum once... it was the difference between cameras that have the swivel out screen so you can hold it way over your head or at awkward angles and still frame the shot vs ones with a built in screen that you can only see from straight behind.

One guy said he prefered the no swivel screen becuase he liked the excitement of taking a blind shot and seeing what he got...

To each their own... I have no idea how that logic works for you, but if it does... ok :scared:
 
...that is partially blocked by your helmet.

When I am on track I can barely hear myself let alone another car near by to my car - mirrors and if I am slower "holding the line" as the faster car finds a way around me - or the blue flag point at me or if I am faster then I expect the slower car to hold its line while I , the faster car find my way past.

That is how real lilfe track traffic works. No need for icons and doodads or even a spotter on anything except an oval track.

:)

100% agree :cheers:
 
Too arcade, I like the concept, but when you have mirrors and frankly I have never seen that happen in real life :lol:

It could be useful to DS3 & SA users who aren't using a wheel because they don't have that feeling of the road the wheel users get.

I'm fine without it on the whole though.
 
Yes I do. It's called mirrors that cover most the area around my car and the ability to quickly swivel my head to check my blind spot.

People always pull out the "it's realistic" card to rationalize something you might not like forgetting that despite how realistic SOME portions of the game are, others are completely unrealistic.

To each their own... I have no idea how that logic works for you, but if it does... ok :scared:

I'm sorry for voicing my own opinion.:bowdown:

In future i will keep my mouth shut if this is the response i get.
 
...that is partially blocked by your helmet.

When I am on track I can barely hear myself let alone another car near by to my car - mirrors and if I am slower "holding the line" as the faster car finds a way around me - or the blue flag point at me or if I am faster then I expect the slower car to hold its line while I , the faster car find my way past.

That is how real lilfe track traffic works. No need for icons and doodads or even a spotter on anything except an oval track.

:)

You you mean partially blocked you should also say very little or irrelevant. I use a helmet for riding my motorcycle and you lose almost nothing on peripheral vision.
:)
 
Back