Sound in the Moon

• Thread starter marxlien
  • 21 comments
Das-marxlien
I don't know if anyone noticed this yet, or if i'm wrong with this...

But when you are in the moon with the rover, you can hear the sound of the car and the sound of the "earth" being moved by the wheels... but as far as i know there is no atmosphere in the moon, so there should be no sound!

:lol:

PS:sry for my basic english.

Yep, that's very true. Hard to believe and imagine, but true.

"Sound needs something to travel through to get from one place to another. On the Moon, since there is no air, sound cannot travel above the surface. So, there are no sounds on the surface of the Moon. When the Apollo astronauts were out on the Moon’s surface, they could only talk to each other, and to mission control, by using the radios in their air filled helmets. Even when the astronaut hit a metal tube into the ground with a hammer, no sound was made." ~ Quoted from MoonZoo.org

But then again it's a game and having sound in space is common on any medium. Look at movies, sounds in space. If you complain about sound being on the moon you might as well complain about cones on the moon and boundaries. You KNOW if there were no sound in the game on the moon that we'd have a 100 page topic with people complaining about it. :D

Of course there would be no sound, except for being felt through the rover. Dual shock could convey that a little, but with zero sound it would feel even more sterile. I think they added just the right amount of audio for the lunar sections, unfortunately these same sound samples are used to represent the V8's back on earth?
Also, the atmospheric conditions and 1/6th gravity of our moon have also somehow made it to the earth side of the physics simulations in GT6, look at all the cars hovering on their noses under braking. Its hard to tell the difference between Willow Springs at night and the lunar surface?

Last edited:
We've been through this many times. Sound cannot travel through the air on the Moon (because there is none, duh) but it does travel through the rover and the driver's body and suit into the driver's ears. I don't know whether it would sound the same as it does in GT6, but you would hear something.

Yep, that's very true. Hard to believe and imagine, but true.

"Sound needs something to travel through to get from one place to another. On the Moon, since there is no air, sound cannot travel above the surface. So, there are no sounds on the surface of the Moon. When the Apollo astronauts were out on the Moon’s surface, they could only talk to each other, and to mission control, by using the radios in their air filled helmets. Even when the astronaut hit a metal tube into the ground with a hammer, no sound was made." ~ Quoted from MoonZoo.org

Another article at MoonZoo.org would like to disagree.

Right, so basically, it could be said that outside of a space suit, whilst on the moon, there is no sound. BUT, sounds we may expect to hear can be transmitted by vibrations through the space suit, to the air (atmosphere) contained in the suit and create the noise we'd expect.

It's fascinating to a certain degree, but then again, I've almost lost interest in the time it took to type this...

Being in a Level A Hazmat suit comes to mind. All you hear in suits like that or a space suit is your breathing and or the crumpling noises the suit makes.

When you hit something in a real car (like a traffic cone), very little of what you hear is sound traveling through the outside air. Most of it is the shock that goes through the car and into the cabin air. The same would happen with your spacesuit, although maybe more muffled than it sounds in GT6. I think that article probably means other astronauts could not hear someone else nearby hammering a spike into the ground. If the guy doing it heard nothing whatsoever, I'd be very surprised.

Heh, when I first got GT6, my brother in law was over (he studies quantum physics etc) first thing he said on that race was there shouldn't be any sound if you're on the moon. I guess they either didn't think, or just added sound to make it less boring.

But then again it's a game and having sound in space is common on any medium. Look at movies, sounds in space. If you complain about sound being on the moon you might as well complain about cones on the moon and boundaries. You KNOW if there were no sound in the game on the moon that we'd have a 100 page topic with people complaining about it. :D

One or 2 movie got it right in the past, The Moon ( Sam Rockwell ) and 2001 : A Space Odyssey ( Stanley Kubrick ), oh and Robot JOX :D

Actually, the moon does have a thin, albeit non-sound-conducting, atmosphere: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html#.UsG1xNJDtqA.

I'm a mechanical engineer (and somewhat interested in the topic as you might have guessed from my profile picture) and my opinion is 1. Outside the vehicle, there would be no sound propagation at all. 2. Sound from the vehicle WOULD be conducted into the suit via vibration and would be re-emitted by your body as a dampened version of the original sound. 3. The sounds in the game are unrealistic in that breath sounds would still dominate, but wouldn't that be irritating to listen to?

I justiy the third-person sounds by assuming the rover is throwing rocks at the camera.

Personally, I think it's a case of reality being sacrificed for the sake of entertainment. J.J. Abrams did the same thing with Star Trek, that being to dampen the sound in space to remind you that, yes, sound doesn't work in a vacuum, but to not completely mute it, as a bit of sound is necessary to keep things from feeling wrong.

Has anyone thought that the sound could travel through the rover? :)
Actually, the moon does have a thin, albeit non-sound-conducting, atmosphere: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html#.UsG1xNJDtqA.

I'm a mechanical engineer (and somewhat interested in the topic as you might have guessed from my profile picture) and my opinion is 1. Outside the vehicle, there would be no sound propagation at all. 2. Sound from the vehicle WOULD be conducted into the suit via vibration and would be re-emitted by your body as a dampened version of the original sound. 3. The sounds in the game are unrealistic in that breath sounds would still dominate, but wouldn't that be irritating to listen to?

That's pretty much what I was going to write. There would be some conduction through the suit but that's most likely going to be overpowered by the sound of one's own breathing and, presumably, the sound of the communication channels.

Back