Sound Off! Long Tracks, Long Races, and Critical Moments

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 23 comments
  • 1,029 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
Ever since the announcement of Nurburgring Nordschliefe, I wanted to come up with a topic like this to discuss a special situation in which a Gran Turismo game player comes across a long track or a highly stressing situation of getting each part of a long track just right. Take it from your boy, John. I can recall racing a TVR Griffith in GT1 around Grand Valley and Special Stage Route 11 for the International A-Grade License. I can recall doing that GT3 time trial with the Ruf RGT around Complex String. I never got the gold (hell, how CAN you?), but I endured the 5 minutes. My favorite race track in the world is Le Mans. Le Mans will outdo any race in America except Petit Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring. But if I raced the Le Mans 24, I know I'd want to say a prayer and keep my focus from the beginning to the end. Playing Le Mans in games, I usually stumble at Tetre Rouge and especially Arnage. And I am horribly inexperienced at Nurburgring Nordschliefe, so I have a HUGE learning curve when I set any hot wheels on Germany's answer to Le Mans. GTPlanet, this topic isn't about if you want to see more long tracks, long races, and critical moments. Instead, this topic concerns such moments like these. State your concerns or comments in this thread. I'll begin.

You know what's the biggest challenge of a long track? The biggest challenge is trying to keep up your momentum and try to climb through the pack. On tracks like Grand Valley, you must remember your braking points as well as how to take each turn, all the while, putting down fast laps. I don't know about you, but this can be stressing to some GT players. Imagine if you put down a wonderful lap at Special Stage Route 11, all for you to throw it away at the turn after crossing the bridge. You throw away your entire lap time, and you'll have to work over again to score a better lap. And if you're doing a license test, you'll have to be on your A-game to get gold. In terms of critical moments, having raced a Toyota GT-One around Monaco for the Super License p*ssed me off when I can't even make it to at least bronze after like... what? Trying 25 times?

GTPlanet, how do you feel about long races, long tracks, and critical moments in the upcoming GT4? Sound off, as I say. So sound off already!
 
in a race, who cares. theres more laps to make it up. consistency is the key. minor gaffes can be overlooked in a long race.

in a license test then maybe, but if you already know you biffed a crucial part, just quit and restart.
 
long races would be cool... if this time they get tire wear right, same goes for gas consumption (this would make even slower cars dangerous vs fast cars in endurance races).
but if that's not included in the game... then i'm skiping the long races for sure.
well, i know it will be included, but in GT3 it was very poorly implemented (tire wear)
 
Long races would be better with more that 6 cars and not as much pit stops.
 
JohnBM01, I think you think too much :D

And I say that because I also overthink a lot!

Racing is all about concentration.

It happens to me very frequently, in tracks where you have a long straight or a long sector easy to drive: you start to think "outside" the race. Suddenly, you recall that next turn is very difficult, you glance at the timer and you see that you're in a very good lap, then you think, "hey, let's make sure that we don't spoil that lap", and then, when the turn comes, you run wide or you crash the barrier... :banghead:

with my chair and my DFP (to arrive next tuesday), I plan to race GT3 enduros, as it was too stressing for my fingers to drive 2 hrs straightaway...
 
Long races would be better with more that 6 cars and not as much pit stops.

i agree. endurance races on the nurburgring will be CRAP unless PD make sure the AI drivers are competitive. 6 cars to a 13 mile track is hopeless if one car dominates the race. if there were 20 or so cars, it would be ace. maybe even different classes. hell maybe PD have implemented these, after all, only 50% has been revealed to the public, so we have alot to see.

i also agree with the amount of pits stop taken. there were too many in gt3, and i think tire wear was just a sore little feature that'd didn't work as well as it cud of. fuel will become a very important part of the race aswell (as the heavier the car, the decrease in performance, but can go longer). suppose PD should think about increasing the thought that has to eb put into the race strategy before racing.
 
I can't wait to see what kind of license test or time trial they involve the Nürburgring in...
 
Sven
I can't wait to see what kind of license test or time trial they involve the Nürburgring in...
They'll probably brake up the track in small sections like in PGR2. Imagine a Nurburgring endurance race. It'll probably like about 15 laps. :sly:
 
i also agree on longer tracks with more competition. for instance... monaco with 49 other drivers, all in different classes. it would be beautiful!!!!!
 
It takes a lot of concentration to complete a 30 laps endurance without major errors , but tire wear feature really makes things a lot worse , especially when you're going first on the lap before the last and the opponent car that has just left the pit is catching you !
I suppose most hardcore racers remember the right braking points in a track , but when tires gradually wear , breaking needs to be earlier and earlier.
 
crimson_menace
i also agree on longer tracks with more competition. for instance... monaco with 49 other drivers, all in different classes. it would be beautiful!!!!!
That would be tight. :drool:
 
I do agree. Racing a Nurburgring or Le Mans for an endurance race with only 5 opponents isn't really much fun. As of now, my copy of Sports Car GT has a Le Mans track download is a bit funner than even probably playing it on GT4.

What I feel GT4 needs is the ability to practice with the oppenents. That's what I love doing on Sports Car GT.
 
So you also have Sports Car GT, McLaren_F1GTR? Not enough space on my PC, and I HAD the Le Mans track as a download, but my computer would be too slow to put on at least a match race (one-on-one race). One time, I had a downloaded track of Sepang from F1 1999. I attempted to put 24 JGTC race cars on the track (courtesy of the SCGT patch), and you could put on the 24 racers. I had to do mine in low-res. But it was done. I made a topic in the past about trying to get more cars on the track. Do a search on it.

Usually if all the turns are tough, you learn to attack them one at a time. Thing is, when you race a track, you'll be introduced to each turn, usually at mid to high speeds. Take Tokyo R246 for example. And Tokyo is different. Usually, the tougher turns come later in the track, but Tokyo has some of its toughest turns early. Look at Turn 1. The first turn is a tight, 90-degree, right turn. If you do well there, you have to contend with Turn Two. Don't lose your momentum early because if successful, you'll have a mostly high-speed run for almost the rest of the track until the next few technical turns. Or let's say you do Complex String. Let's say you went through all the different sections with an A or B performance, all to throw it away at Corkscrew Alley, the sector in the IA-License test "Undulating Corners." Of course, I created this thread with your concerns and views in mind. No matter what, I think at least one GT player will have this sort of thing in mind. Of course, this topic is not about long races and long tracks in general. Instead, it's about concerns in these events and situations. I don't have the answers to everything, but I can always try to generate such a discussion on this. So if you want to discuss critical moments like these, feel free to SOUND OFF! Fair enough? Good. Reply away.
 
JohnBM01
Ever since the announcement of Nurburgring Nordschliefe, I wanted to come up with a topic like this to discuss a special situation in which a Gran Turismo game player comes across a long track or a highly stressing situation of getting each part of a long track just right. Take it from your boy, John. I can recall racing a TVR Griffith in GT1 around Grand Valley and Special Stage Route 11 for the International A-Grade License. I can recall doing that GT3 time trial with the Ruf RGT around Complex String. I never got the gold (hell, how CAN you?), but I endured the 5 minutes. My favorite race track in the world is Le Mans. Le Mans will outdo any race in America except Petit Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring. But if I raced the Le Mans 24, I know I'd want to say a prayer and keep my focus from the beginning to the end. Playing Le Mans in games, I usually stumble at Tetre Rouge and especially Arnage. And I am horribly inexperienced at Nurburgring Nordschliefe, so I have a HUGE learning curve when I set any hot wheels on Germany's answer to Le Mans. GTPlanet, this topic isn't about if you want to see more long tracks, long races, and critical moments. Instead, this topic concerns such moments like these. State your concerns or comments in this thread. I'll begin.

You know what's the biggest challenge of a long track? The biggest challenge is trying to keep up your momentum and try to climb through the pack. On tracks like Grand Valley, you must remember your braking points as well as how to take each turn, all the while, putting down fast laps. I don't know about you, but this can be stressing to some GT players. Imagine if you put down a wonderful lap at Special Stage Route 11, all for you to throw it away at the turn after crossing the bridge. You throw away your entire lap time, and you'll have to work over again to score a better lap. And if you're doing a license test, you'll have to be on your A-game to get gold. In terms of critical moments, having raced a Toyota GT-One around Monaco for the Super License p*ssed me off when I can't even make it to at least bronze after like... what? Trying 25 times?

GTPlanet, how do you feel about long races, long tracks, and critical moments in the upcoming GT4? Sound off, as I say. So sound off already!

to make a long story short, u suck and u dont have the patience to learn the game. u cant get the hang of gt games when u first get it. me, it took me about 2 months before i was good and started to get good lap times and get gold liscences, so be patient and try to learn the game before u give up
 
to make a long story short, u suck and u dont have the patience to learn the game. u cant get the hang of gt games when u first get it. me, it took me about 2 months before i was good and started to get good lap times and get gold liscences, so be patient and try to learn the game before u give up

erm, aint that a bit harsh? the guy only wants to discuss this topic :)
 
crimson_menace
i also agree on longer tracks with more competition. for instance... monaco with 49 other drivers, all in different classes. it would be beautiful!!!!!


It would be a cluster**** in my opinion. A fun cluster**** though!
 
my fav would be a 5 lap race on the nurb with 30 Cooper S's. now thats what i call a cool race :)
 
squeek
my fav would be a 5 lap race on the nurb with 30 Cooper S's. now thats what i call a cool race :)

Nah, illd rather be on the edge, in fast cars, where mistakes can send you into the wall no problem, lets say 30 McLaren F1's. Or 30 F1 cars!
 
I just wanted to discuss special situations like these, and I get attacked for it? Let me re-quote:

"to make a long story short, u suck and u dont have the patience to learn the game. u cant get the hang of gt games when u first get it. me, it took me about 2 months before i was good and started to get good lap times and get gold liscences, so be patient and try to learn the game before u give up" -d_dogg: September 19, 2004

I don't tell people to do this, but first off, use proper English replacing "u" with "you." Another thing, I have played Gran Turismos 1, 2, and 3. So I know what the hell I'm talking about. Where in my introduction or posts do I mention not having patience, not getting the hang of games and their levels, or anything like that? Bad call to attack me like you did. No one is perfect, or as one person said on GTPlanet, "even monkeys fall from trees." My intent was to talk about going through with these challenges in the upcoming GT4. And keep in mind, I don't have Prologue of any kind. I've never played Gran Turismo 4 ANYWHERE except as videos on DVD. GT4 is going to include some long tracks, long races, and even some critical moments whereas you have to make decisive moves to win races. It took me about maybe 2 or 3 weeks to master each GT game, while mastering it took anywhere from 1 month to maybe 3 or more months. Being perfect will definitetely take more than 3 months. I normally do some school work, watch some TV and stuff, but when I played GT games, I take as much time as I need to get into the rhythm of each game. And since I'm a racing game veteran having played racing games since the early 1990s with Excitebike, before going all-out with my first PS1 game, Gran Turismo. So don't you, or anyone else tell me I lack patience. I've won more races and got my ass kicked all in an effort to redeem myself. And damn it to hell, I did. I did the 2hr45min race with Tokyo R246. I won that son of a b**** in a Gillet Vertigo around 2hr42min.

In other words... if you just want to make attacks, this is not your topic. Don't waste your time. For everyone else, proceed.
 
I hope they sort of skip the full lap time trials. I always get annoyed when I'm on a good lap and one mistake ruins it.
I think with license tests, they should keep in mind what happens in races. Running a curve too wide and going onto the grass/gravel is quite normal. Cutting a chicane however, isn't.
I can't help thinking when doing those lincense tests that I would've made it in a real race.
 
I have no problem with long races personally. I am very consistent when it comes to racing games, admittedly after about 50% of the race i can notice my lap times slipping a little but then i just change my focus. When racing i dont usually worry about beating the opponents, i race myself trying to better my lap time every lap.

Nurburgring will be a little nasty at first but after a while you wont have to have the corners memorised they will just come to you as they appear, like your building the track in your head as you go along, as the machine does :)

Licence tests can get irritating when its a long course. You try your best the whole way but you can throw it away at any time. But the point of this is to teach you to stay on your game during a entire lap. To get gold you must drive perfectly, which takes practice.
 
very wise words there Brocky mate, all true. :) all this talk of gt4 endurances on the nurb with f1's and a gt force pro wheel is getting me hot lol! :):):)
 
more cars in the field would be a big step. endurance races aren't fun at all unless you seriously restrict yourself to a wimpy car. i ran Rome 2hr endurance race w/ a practivally bone stock Integra R and destroyed the computer. So if I could make one request to Polyphony, it would definately be to have a larger field to battle against in endurance races...also better and more realistic tire wear would be good too. I don't care so much if they put fuel consumption in or not, just more cars and better tire wear. i mean even the super softs should last longer than 2 laps.
 
Back