Sound Off! Sponsorship

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 15 comments
  • 1,162 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
I've gone 8 1/2 months without a locked thread (until my "Rate Game! Lovely Ladies (Round 1)" thread in The Rumble Strip), so I hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate. Anyhow, sponsorship. It's been mentioned before, but no topic has been seriously devoted to sponsorship. After searches came up negative for an entire thread on sponsorship, I decided I'd come up with this topic so that we can have a centralized thread about sponsorship. This thread... say whatever you want. Sponsorship. How can we implement this? How can we make it interesting? Do we NEED sponsorship? It's been mentioned in several places before, so let me take a chance and make a thread out of this so that we have a place to discuss all of this.

Having said that, reply now if you have something to contribute to sponsorship. Let's try to make this thread a centralized and complete discussion of sponsorship so that we have a topic really devoted to sponsorship.
 
It would be nice if PD advertised car's and or car makers or even the real life tracks durin the loading sequences instead of just a swirling thing.
 
Nice to see another "Sounds Off!" thread 👍

One of the main reason sponsorship would be good for GT4 is that it would create a solid online community. Therefore more people would go online to race others to get better to the get sponsered.

As mentioned in those other threads, sponsorship would be sweet since you could get paid for hundreds of hours wasted on a video game :) Sponsorphip would also:
Bring more people to the GT community, attract more people to buy the game, attract diffrent companies to "online racing", boost sales of Sony products $$$ .
 
Sponsorship.....difficult thing for me to put into words. In the Gran Turismo, I've always thought that the way they've been doin it is fine. You buy your first set of wheels, build up some cash, upgrade that ride until you've got the skills and money to handle a car from the next class up. Sound simple right? Well, that path of upgrading that first car, whatever it may be, is a long and difficult one. With little money at the start, A person buys his car. If there's extra cash left, a driver would most likely fit some rims onto his car and go race. Or, a more resourceful driver might opt for buying maybe a sports exhaust, or rom chip. There might even be the conservaitve one, shoocing to run the car as is, and save what little money is left for upgrades later on, and possibly maintenance. So many parts, so little money. Sponsorships can be a good and bad thing to add in GT4. The good part is that here or there you get paid, and sometimes the parts wiwll become free. But It might get to be too much, being sponsored so much that you'd get LOADS of cash, for doin nothing. I don't think I deserve a new car and a boatload of money for finishing in last, even though I finished. IT just dependd on how they do things.
 
Everything in a GT game needs to be as real as possible . If PD guys make sponsorships available , we might see Hondas with Nismo labels or Toyotas with RalliArt.
 
Hey I have seen that in real life :)

Seen a Toyota with a ralliart sticker, and a Holden with a EVO lancer wing etc... So stupid.
 
I wouldn't mind.. If it's anything like the Kaido Battle Sponsor system, great!
 
QUOTE=nasanu]Hey I have seen that in real life :)

Seen a Toyota with a ralliart sticker, and a Holden with a EVO lancer wing etc... So stupid.[/QUOTE]
Unbelievable mess.
 
Sponsorship is not a money tree. Sponsors do not just throw money at people. I think that the progression of a GT could be sustained while still implementing something like sponsorship.
But there are three huge catches on this one: 1.) Differences in the performance of different parts/liquids/whatever 2.) Auto makers being conservitive. and 3.) The plethora of after market parts makers.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, but I think that aftermarket companies (unless already implented) will not make a very strong appearance. However, close affiliates like Mugen will more than likely be well noticed I think.
Of course I have no idea what Polyphony is planning, so it is time for this post to end :P
 
MdnIte
I wouldn't mind.. If it's anything like the Kaido Battle Sponsor system, great!

And that goes a little something like this.

So you do a challenge, say the HKS challenge, which could be a time trial in the HKS Evo 8 and when you win you get say a set of HKS cams. You are also able to be sponsored by them so if you have their decal on your car you get a bonus for every time you win. Then at least the stickers are actually doing something. Although I doubt it will be like this because of all the different 3rd party tuning parts spec would have to be taken into account and show differing levels of performance etc.

Edit: Also what georgeymoney said.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

The only thing I can think about having sponsorship in GT4 is that it might have to be operated by wut car you use. Then, if you race good enough with it, then maybe the car's dealer would give you discount when you add new parts to it :odd: :O:O
 
Ladies (if there are any more than just McLaren'sAngel) and gentlemen, thanks for sounding off. No, I'm not closing the conversation, just want to quickly comment.

When my computer pretended to actually WORK when I played Sega GT, I noted that as I got a car, I could compete not only for special licenses (for example, going for bigger engine displacements and even reconfiguring drivetrains), but also compete for special race cars. When I looked up sponsorship, there were sponsors like McDonald's, Outlaw Performance Additives, Pennzoil, and that sort of thing. You could apparentely go for the 11 or 12 sponsors in the game. The PS2 game "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero" featured an option to put stickers on your car. While it was nothing compared to TXR3's system, each car had a sort of pre-determined sticker layout. Whether your ride was an AE86, an MKIV Toyota Supra, or White Charisma's awesome Mazda, each car had a sticker system to it. So the kit included some stickers on the sides, maybe on the rear and front, and a big sun visor decal (you know, like "BMW Motorsport" on the windshields of the Nurburgring 24h-winning BMW M3 GTRs).

You all include all sorts of ideas for sponsorship. And I think you'll have to "unlock" sponsorship by coming up with sponsor deals. And let's say you can have a maximum of 20 or 10 sponsors. So let's use the Fina McLaren F1 in my avatar as an example. Let's say I did about... 10 or 15 races in the amateur and pro leauges. If I'm brining in money, I can take part in oppurtunities to get more money by having sponsor involvement. And note one thing about sponsors. While getting money is always good, you also have to pay off sponsors, or they'll be p*ssed and may stop working you. If it were in the game and included a special GTPlanet.net edition with special GTPlanet decals and a secret track, you'd still have to keep the GTPlanet people happy.

Does anyone have any ideas to implement it so that no matter what you race or in what class, that everyone has an equal chance at sponsorship? Or if you want to go on the tuner car route, you can slap on "Mobil 1" or "HKS" decals on your set of hot wheels... Carry on, and SOUND OFF!!!
 
JohnBM01
You could apparentely go for the 11 or 12 sponsors in the game. The PS2 game "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero" featured an option to put stickers on your car. While it was nothing compared to TXR3's system, each car had a sort of pre-determined sticker layout. Whether your ride was an AE86, an MKIV Toyota Supra, or White Charisma's awesome Mazda, each car had a sticker system to it. So the kit included some stickers on the sides, maybe on the rear and front, and a big sun visor decal (you know, like "BMW Motorsport" on the windshields of the Nurburgring 24h-winning BMW M3 GTRs).

Same as Kaido battle, you only had certain spaces to put the stickers. Although you only got sponsor money for doing drift competitions and time trials. I just have cars that I do drift competitions in with as many decals as possible, but then my night time race cars are untouched by decals.

Is it me or did almost every damn car you raced against in the TXR series looks like crap. Maybe it was so you could laugh your rival to death.
 
Race Idiot, some of the cars were awesome. I didn't like TXR0's version of 12 Zodiacs member "Red Devil, and his R33 Skyline, but the TXR3 version had the nicer R34 Skyline. Speed King's Skyline GT-R was surely awesome. With the final engine modification to it, your car could hit 260 mph on the Wangan (granted you don't hit something hard while speedfreaking)! The machines were more unique than butt-ugly.
 
Well sponsorship IS a good idea, but I hope you can PICK which cars you want sponsors on. Even though you only get specific cars that get you money and discounts, I don't exactly want all of my cars to be rolling billboards :yuck: . ESPECIALLY, if not ONLY, my red Levin. :)
 
Back