Sounds like a waste of time

  • Thread starter Thread starter MrSmith
  • 46 comments
  • 2,420 views
Le Mans and Nürburgring for 24 Hours = a waste of time?

Try saying that to names like Tom Kristensen, Hans Stück(correct spelling?), Jacky Ickx, Derek Bell, and people like that. I'm sure they'll tell you that it's a joy to race endlessly on these courses. After all, isn't racing about racing on the same track for some specific distance? Well, 24 hour racing is no different. It just means that you have a longer distance to cover. It's stupid saying that racing around a track for 24 hours with driver changes (especially in real life) is no fun. Le Mans and Nürburgring Nordschleife both carry legendary pedigree for their respective races. The more glamourous event is the Le Mans 24 Hours. Makes like Ferrari, Porsche, Chevrolet, Ford/Cosworth, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Matra, Bentley, Dodge, and even TVR have all competed in this legendary endurance race on the 24th weekend of the year. It's a long-running racing tradition since 1922. And here you are ruining its face saying that it's no fun racing the same track for 24 hours straight. What a slap in the face. If you look at it like wasting your life playing one game for endless time, then of course these endurances aren't going to be fun. The primary complaint about the 24 hour races has been the typical "I can't stand 24 hours of daylight." Still, 24 hours is 24 hours no matter if the conditions don't reflect this. Endurance races are supposed to be tests of how long you can run a race full wick against the pack for a designated number of laps or a designated time limit. Many of them are more like regular sprint races, while a few others are pure endurances. If you want a nice mix of road racing prowess and endurance racing skill, the Super GT (formerly the JGTC) series in Japan is the best model to use. If you just think about this as racing for a really long time and not challenging your abilities, then you won't enjoy it as much.

Something like this isn't a waste of time if the reward(s) is/are extremely promising. It's like telling the Sydney Swans of Australian Rules Football that the players are wasting their time competing the sport since there's nothing to win. But if I remember, didn't the Swans win the title last year? It is NOT a waste of time. If it was, it wouldn't be in GT games. You do have B-Spec to use if you can't do the endurances in A-Spec. Use the game. Make it your friend. Take advantage of all the tools available for you to win races.

But please... don't call it a waste of time. Do you want to win races, or do you want to WIN races? By the way, I'd read Post #17 and take note if I were you. Good one, mate.

One last thing, if you think that you're being forced to race ANYTHING, then look at this GT5 thread I've started. You can sound off about this sort of thing in the GT5 forums at: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70881 . Read that before talking about being forced to race anything. Can you dig that?
 
There's a little-known game called Le Mans 24 Hours for the PS2 that features, well, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, among other tracks. :lol:

It's a seriously mediocre racing game, but it features day-night-day transitions and is pretty fun to play if you can stand the Dreamcast-port graphics and half-arcade half-hamfisted-monkey driving controls... :)
 
Thanx for the responses to the xbox price question guys!
Speaking of long races, i just beat the FGT and got me a Sauber :)
 
Wolfe2x7
There's a little-known game called Le Mans 24 Hours for the PS2 that features, well, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, among other tracks. :lol:

It's a seriously mediocre racing game, but it features day-night-day transitions and is pretty fun to play if you can stand the Dreamcast-port graphics and half-arcade half-hamfisted-monkey driving controls... :)

I have this game and your description couldn't be more accurate. Played for 2 hours now game is banished with WWR, Dakar Rally and the like that I don't play anymore.
 
Daddybird
You know what's a waste of time?

Painting cooked eggs.

Many proffesional Cooked Egg Painters will be offended by this post.
 
Daddybird
You know what's a waste of time?
Your posts lately? Try and keep your posts on topic and worthwhile. Thanks.
 
Daddybird
Many GTP'ers will be offended by this thread.


Let me say this then. Im sorry to have offended any at all. It wasnt intended to go this far. JohnBM01 mentioned racing done by professional racers. I agree totally, especially if you can switch drivers. In real life Id love doing that. Im a driver by nature. Thats why I like GT and other driving games. But the thought of sitting in front of my TV for 24 hours didnt sound good. I know I can switch to B-Spec but See, I have nobody to brag to that I completed a 24 hour race. most my friend play sports and not gt. so to have bragging rights of completing a 24 hour race on a playstation is not very cool to many. Im sorry to have offened. I have every Gran Turismo Game. Im nuts about it. It was My Very first PS game and I was playing it just before logging on. In fact Ive just completed all 24 hour races.

So lets not fight anymore. k?:indiff:
 
Wait a minute... "Le Mans 24 Hours" is mediocre? Only things mediocre about the game is the sounds and music. Other than that, it is a perfectly-fine racing game. In fact, I've used LM24H for some of my GT arguments about time cycles. That was a great game. The game may be old, but it still looks and plays good. Reconsider your bashing of "Le Mans 24 Hours."

Mr. Smith, you don't have to do all 24 hours in A-Spec if you don't want to. You know, realize something. It's perfectly fine to do all those hours with B-Spec if you feel you cannot win with A-Spec. I've basically given up on trying to be better than everyone else in GT games. For example, there was a thread on the fastest speed we have gone. I talked about running 273 mph on Test Course by using a Pescarolo Courage from 2004. Many others have put up 300+ mph. Besides, you have nothing to prove on GTPlanet. If you play the game and love racing with it, you've proven yourself very well. No need to go to extremes if you don't want to.

Alright? So cheer up, kid. 👍
 
JohnBM01
Alright? So cheer up, kid. 👍


Um Cool.

I need to find out something. I Did the search but couldnt find the answer. I was playing Two player last night and the second player couldnt use nitro. I looked in the options area and it wouldnt let me choose nitro {special key or Ghost} for the second player. Is that something that needs to be unlocked??
 
Nope. It's something which needs to be forcefed into the programmer's mouths, I'm afraid.
 
bah. 24 hour races are there because they're legendary races, just like Laguna Seca is a legendary track and (insert car here) is a legendary car. that's why they're in the game.

and those who think that Xbox+ forza is better deal, it's your personal opinion. you don't need to rub it into others faces. it'll just cause flame wars.
 
Master_Yoda
link didn't work, and i don't belive you took my sarcasm seriously but, "IMO" take your Foraza coment to the xbox area, cause here we like GT4 aand not Forza, there both good games, but GT4 got me addicted before Forza. so "IMO" GT4 is better.

there is no way that link doesnt work, we are one of the biggest forza sites in the world !!!
 
JohnBM01
Wait a minute... "Le Mans 24 Hours" is mediocre? Only things mediocre about the game is the sounds and music. Other than that, it is a perfectly-fine racing game. In fact, I've used LM24H for some of my GT arguments about time cycles. That was a great game. The game may be old, but it still looks and plays good. Reconsider your bashing of "Le Mans 24 Hours."

Bashing? I said it was fun to play if you can stand the poor controls, and commended it for its day-night-day transitions.
 
Wolfe2x7
Bashing? I said it was fun to play if you can stand the poor controls, and commended it for its day-night-day transitions.


I wish we could play some of the X-Box games on PS2. They got some of ours. They should make a Gotham racing for PS. and some of there Shooters also
 
It's a real killer in the Asian version not being able to change to AI driver during the races. I really killed myself with the 24 hour races, though it did help me to be a machine around Nords.
 
Back