Spa Francorchamps JTC GT500 racing! Now with Pictures!!

• Thread starter Bigbazz
  • 2 comments

What is your favourite Super GT car model?

• Nissan Fairlady Z

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nissan GTR

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Toyota Supra

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Honda NSX

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Wales
Wales
Earlier tonight I did a 12 lap race with a bunch of guys, limited to 552bhp and 1050kg minimum, FR cars with no driving aids and slipstream set to weak. With damage, penalties and tyre/fuel depletion on. Was running on Racing Softs (which isn't my prefered but it worked out alright).

I drove in the Yellowhat YMS Supra 05 (552bhp, 1090kg, 608pp), there were a load of different types of Nissan R35 GTR racing cars, with some driving in NSX's. Was an awesome race. I started in 4th, had a fairly shoddy start but kept it clean into T1, lots of bumping about (hard but relatively fair) saw me lose control for a short moment and my car went into a waggly tail moment alongside a GT-R Stealth who also did the same, I ended up down in 9th place (of 13) after all the T1 fuss.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_7.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_11.jpg

A little bit of drama behind with one of the GT-R Stealths at the start, othewise very clean so far into T1. The Yellowhat GT-R had an even worse start than me, going from 3rd to 13th!

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_8.jpg

My car and another GT-R gets a loose back end, perhaps the result of a bump from behind? Not sure, but we were both able to quickly recover, though I fell down to 9th place, he down to 10th place at this point.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_16.jpg

Things start to clean up, the front of the pack is already over Eau Rouge at this point, the blue Epson NSX that started on pole got away clean from T1 and is in the lead. The eventual winner driving the Xanavi GT-R came out good here, passing quite a few cars in the mix.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_20.jpg

Two of the three GT-R Stealth cars that were ahead of me get into a bit of offroad action, I didnt see how it happened but it allowed me to move forward!

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_23.jpg

I was able to take T17 (Blanchimont) considerably faster, perhaps due to the close pack racing up infront, getting me alongside some cars on the inside for the Bus Stop Chicane. All was well until I slightly out braked myself, the 2 cars I passed got a better line through the chicane and re passed me, I joined in behind the train going towards the finish line of Lap 1.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_24.jpg

The NSX out infront gets loose going into T1 (La Source) allowing a few cars to pass while he recovered, I take my slow in approach and get on the throttle much earlier allowing me to pass the final car of this group (GT-R Stealth) down the straight towards Eau Rouge.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_25.jpg

In 3rd place now, 3-4 of those places down to driver error but the crazy phase of the race is over, the 2nd place GT-R Stealth is in sight.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_26.jpg

Some close but clean racing behind, the Xanavi GT-R is about to take 4th place from the Stealth GT-R into T4 (Les Combes).

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_28.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_29.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_30.jpg

The pack has reeled in the 2nd position GT-R Stealth (he was only just ahead) coming into T8 Rivage, I get a better run out of T7 allowing me to get alongside him up the inside, I brake slightly later and take the position into 2nd place.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_31.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_32.jpg

Coming into T14 I make a mistake, my wheels (or one of them) is slightly on the grass as I brake into the corner, my back end goes into a power slide drift, luckily it is on course for the apex and with some countersteer and a lot of luck I was able to catch and hold it without losing much time or speed, my position maintained though my tyres have taken some beating at this point.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_35.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_36.jpg

My slow in fast out approach for T1 has let me down here, I didnt realise how close the car was behind (no mirror) and he goes faster and deeper into T1 up my inside, hitting me out of the way on the way in. It was slightly dirty and while I was annoyed I knew I could probably retake the position into T5 (les combes). I moved in behind him to take advantage of the slipstream (set to weak). I'm in 3rd again.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_37.jpg

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_38.jpg

I got a better run through Eau Rouge and the extra speed had allowed me to pass him at the top, I got the position back earlier than I had expected, now it was time to knuckle down and set some fast laptimes, I needed to get out infront to have any hope of a win. First place car the Xanavi GT-R driver is around 10 seconds ahead.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_40.jpg

Lap 6-7 were the pitstop laps, I had pulled a decent lead by my pitstop (end of lap 6) and found myself in 4th after the pits, the original GT-R Stealth I passed for 2nd had stayed out to pit in lap 7 and so was in 3rd place (he must have made a mistake to be this far back), his tyres were shot and I easily passed him again at T8 (Rivage) reclaiming 3rd, at the end of lap 7 I passed the 2nd place car Xanavi GT-R as he was in the pits. The picture below is around lap 8 or 9, I've put in some strong laptimes and have started to reel in 1st position car.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_3.jpg

Lap 12 - I can just see the 1st position car ahead, after the pitstop my laps were fast and consistant but this was the last lap.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_41.jpg

The finish line of lap 12, 1st place and winning car Xanavi GT-R crosses the line, I finish 4 seconds behind.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_42.jpg

Overall I'm not sure if I ever had a chance to win, the guy infront was genuinely fast, but had the race been longer I would have given it a good go. Laptimes were between 2:10-2:14 on average for the field. Race lasted about 27mins dead. I highly recommend this format, not all the cars are equal (NSX seems to have an advantage with a good tune, but it is very unstable through Eau Rouge online, making it an easy car to wreck in, which we saw during the race). I don't think the Supra is the fastest car, but it is solid enough to win and the cars are fairly well balanced. Down at the 600pp races i've seen, NSX seems more dominant. I do tend to prefer the above format for that reason, It pulls the cars a little closer in the experiences i've had.

Last edited:
Updated with pictures and descriptions, a little less boring as a result! Discuss your races at Spa, especially if its in the JTC GT500 cars.

Latest Posts

Back