Spec GTP: Weekly Fun Series (Preliminary Stage)

What pair of cars should be used for the October rounds?

• 2015 Mercedes-Benz #24 Tankpool24 Racing Truck & 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA Stradale

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 2011 Penhall The Cholla & 2014 Maserati #35 M.Calamia Swiss Team MC Trofeo

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS & 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (996)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
United States
Mill Creek, WA
HighSeasHoMastr
HighSeasHoMastr
We are now just under a month from Forza 7 releasing, and with the car list revealed, it's as good a time as any to get this started. This is an idea I've kicked around since we did the Formula Mazda series (shout to @SlipZtrEm for putting that on) in FM6, so I figured I would check the interest level.

My idea is to do a super casual series with only stock cars. Using the "Force Stock Upgrades and Tuning" option, you can force everyone into the same car and setup, and if the rental system returns this means that people won't even have to own the car to participate. It should maximize participation, and keeping it super casual will mean that if you miss a week here and there it's no big deal. The point of this series is racing.

My plan is to change the car every month and do 4 weekly races with each car. I want to do every month as a 2 car multiclass race, with the combo for next month being voted on in the current month. I really want to focus on oddball combos and cars that might not get much play, just because I think it will be more fun. Also, I plan to keep at least one car in each combo as a car from the base game, so no one ever needs DLC to participate.
That said, I have made a poll to vote for the first combo of cars. Please vote and we will go with the winner! The second place in voting each month will be carried to the next month, along with two new choices that I hope I can pick from suggestions made in the thread. I picked the current combos based on what I think will be fun and strange. If everyone hates them I will take suggestions for new options.

As for track rotation, I am planning to just do one track each week. I think for most combos we will be running shorter tracks with higher lap counts (I would like to keep each race 20-30 minutes) to keep the action mixed up, but if we do a faster pair we could do longer tracks as well. For the first round, I am thinking something like this:
Week 1 - Rio National
Week 2 - Lime Rock Park
Week 3 - Watkins Glen Short
Week 4 - Mugello Short
This is definitely not set in stone, and I am open to suggestions and changes based on what combo we land on.

Now, the big one: Schedule. For this, I am actually surprisingly open at the moment, so it is flexible. I was planning either Thursday or Friday evenings (I am in PST/GMT -8) between 6:00PM and 8:00PM or Saturdays around midday (12:00PM-2:00PM) but again, I am flexible. I will watch the thread for suggestions on this, but ultimately I will probably just pick a time and that will be it. With the more casual nature, I'm hoping people will just make the weeks they can and not stress if they miss a few. I may also run two different time slots if there is enough interest.

For scoring, I have two minds. One one hand, I think just not tracking it would be fine and contribute to the casual nature (or maybe just tracking wins) but I don't know how that would go over with everyone else. The other option is to establish a points board and keep points tally each week (if there are multiple sessions you would keep your better finish), then declare a winner each month. A variation of that would be to have a rolling "Lifetime Points" board that is updated with the best result each week.
Personally I don't care about this aspect (I care about the racing pretty exclusively here) so I am very open to suggestions. If we decide to keep points, there would be one drop result each month to keep the casual feel, but again I am open to other opinions.

So there you have it. A very early idea for some (hopefully) close and (hopefully) light-hearted and fun racing. What do you think?

I'll be down for this if I am off from life and able to be around my XBone when it is going on. I have an idea for a series as well, should I make another thread for that?

I would be interested in this depending on my availability, some casual racing once a week where relatively clean racing can be expected sounds good to me. Also gives a chance to get familiar with some of the cars I probably wouldn't drive much otherwise.

Hopefully interest for this kind of event will pick up closer to release.

Back