• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 12 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, typical qualifying procedures show that you have to enter, then qualify to make the show. For you sprint car racing fans, you may know about all the different qualifying procedures and all the features. The goal, of course, is to make the A-Main or A-Feature, whatever it's called. At the Indy 500, you must qualify at a certain speed in order for you to make it into the field of 33. To qualify for the [upcoming] 24 Hours of Le Mans, first of all, you have to be invited. When you make it to Le Circuit de la Sarthe, you have to do your best in qualifying. GTPlanet, would you like to participate in much different qualifying procedures? What ideas would work? Which circuits can benefit from varied qualifying rules?

Fire away! Until then, I'll try and get ready to see this year's Le Mans 24-hour race.

i think this would make GT5 alot more interesting.. instead of the normal go around do youre best lap... i picture a sort of career thing how you have to make your way to the top and get invited to run in the 24hr of lemans.. then qualify ect..

What about the 107% rule as used in F1? In order to make the grid, you have to qualify within 107% of the pole-sitter's time. So if the leader set a (hypothetical) time of 1 minute 40, you'd have to be no slower than 1 minute 47 to make last place on the grid. Of course, if you beat the 1:40, the 107% cut-pff would change. That way, there could be say 12 entrants in a race, and if you didn't make the 107% you went back to the Main Menu. Of course, if less than 5 other drivers made the cut-off, the game would automatically allow the next-fastest qualifiers in to fill up the six places.

It probably wouldn't work too well with A-Spec points though. You'd never make the 107% if it were a points-high race unless you put in a blinder of a lap.

That’s a great idea!
Not only the qualifying rules should be different for each type of racing, as the rules that limit the time or number of laps that you have.

Another aspect about making the big show is heat races and LCQ's (Last Chance Qualifier). How would you feel about these extra races just to make the big show? By the way, this is all set up so that qualifying is Required to compete in a certain championship, race, or endurance.

I am one that seldom if ever takes the time to qualify on series events. Although with the possiblity of 20 or more cars on the track in GT5, qualifying maybe an absolute must

They could do like Nascar where you start in the pits go around the track once to get speed up and get one or two laps( depending on track langth) to qualify. And I would like to see more cars on the track to give you an incentive to qualify.

EDit: The sprint car type qualifying is a very good idea too. It's very good for weeding out the less consistent drivers.

Great ideas... I think it'd be great to have a few races that were not part of the completion percentage, but extremely difficult to enter and nearly impossible to win. As mentioned before, just getting invited to the race(s) would be an accomplishment, but then add on a level of difficulty that would require you to drive at a high skill level.

greenlightning
I am one that seldom if ever takes the time to qualify on series events. Although with the possiblity of 20 or more cars on the track in GT5, qualifying maybe an absolute must
I don't think we'll ever get to see 20 cars on track, at least not in the near future. 10 cars maybe, but not 20. Not yet.

Granted 20 actually do make it to the track, let's say that only 20 make the show, but 50 cars (including yours) enters the race in order to qualify. It doesn't mean all of them on track at one time, but certain ones go out F1-style before the one-car-on-track qualifying rules. What then?

Latest Posts

Back