Special Stage X: Why it is where it is and has the landscape it does.

United States
Fresno, CA, USA
SnakeEyes427
This track seems to be a grouping of landmarks from the Southern California area. Hyundai has their test track there in California City. Likely the base for the track. Edwards Air Force Base and the Mojave Space Port are not far. Large solar steam plants are out that way too. The Port of Los Angeles is the ships and windmills from Plam Springs. Just the few I have picked up on.
Screenshot_20230328_232852_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20230328_232941_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20230328_233034_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230328_233445_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230328_233600_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230328_234117_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230328_233445_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230328_233445_Chrome.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Also the name Route X mirrors the real Interstate 10 which in its Californian section runs past wind farms (there are even Scapes about them) and below highway ramps very similar in style to those seen on the front straight, as well as through tunnels that again are very similar in style to the one on the back straight.

I live in southern California, and I'm still very confused about it. Maybe the tunnels are wormholes that take you to different parts of the state.

Part of the problem is that they changed the direction of the sun but didn't rotate the map to maintain the north-up orientation. So now when you're on the front straight, you're going NW, and SE on the back. I guess?

They should have revamped the whole thing and set it in Dubai.

I live in southern California, and I'm still very confused about it. Maybe the tunnels are wormholes that take you to different parts of the state.

Part of the problem is that they changed the direction of the sun but didn't rotate the map to maintain the north-up orientation. So now when you're on the front straight, you're going NW, and SE on the back. I guess?

They should have revamped the whole thing and set it in Dubai.
I grew up in Southern California and now live in Central California. I have no earthly idea where the tunnels come from.
Maybe,
But I would place more money on it being the LAX tunnel(s)

I feel lile this track got placed in California as an afterthought. The landscape gives off a polar circle vibe.

The windmills come from very nearby Tehachapi. I know, because my parents live close to there. As far as the Hyundai test track and Edwards, I see both from the mountains I frequently top while riding dirt bikes. Totally agree on the LAX tunnels btw.

Being that PD has a studio in theNorth Hollywood area, it’s no wonder they’ve gone such a good job with their California references 😎

Last edited:
It's a fantasy track . Northern isle speedway was also moved to a location that makes no sense considering in GT sport you could see the northern lights.

I feel lile this track got placed in California as an afterthought. The landscape gives off a polar circle vibe.
From what I recall, in the PS3 era it was set off the Japanese coast somewhere. I thought that was a much better fit for it, I really preferred the greener vegetation too.

Back