Spinning Lug Stud

• Thread starter JrDarknes
  • 3 comments
United States
Indianapolis,IN
JrDarknes
So I got a flat on my driver side front tire, however I cannot take off the wheel due to one lugnut because the lug stud keeps spinning.

Do any experts on here have any ideas on how to stop the lug stud from spinning. I tried to drill a hole, tap it and put in a screw with red loctite but I cannot get the tap to thread at all for some odd reason. I know I used the right drill size.

23EF268C-56AF-4C1E-8D24-AA92EE3DA8EB.jpeg

My last resort is to break the lug nut but idk how since it’s the tuner ones that are inside the wheel hole.

You may be able to tap it by holding the tap still with a wrench and spinning the nut from the other side. You would just need to make sure it's spinning the right way, and that the tap starts how it should.

Otherwise, your only other option might be drilling the stud out.

Soak the nut in WD-40, hammer a long and large enough Torx bit into the drilled hole and hope that the lug isn't seized on the thread. If it is, try to drill the head off so that you can remove the stud together with the nut.

Soak the nut in WD-40, hammer a long and large enough Torx bit into the drilled hole and hope that the lug isn't seized on the thread. If it is, try to drill the head off so that you can remove the stud together with the nut.

I will try that out and see what happens. I did not think about that. Smart idea.

You may be able to tap it by holding the tap still with a wrench and spinning the nut from the other side. You would just need to make sure it's spinning the right way, .

I tried doing that but could not get it to tap which is so weird. I do not know why.

Back