Spoiler!!!!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter KiwiBoy
  • 24 comments
  • 1,483 views
Messages
311
I have seen the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Super Rally Car, and i noticed that the spoiler is not on the end of the trunk like other cars. It has the spoiler near the rear windows of the car. Why is that??? :indiff:

(btw, anyone know if you can change the wing at GT Auto?)
 
Don't blame PD. That's the way Mitsubishi built it. It's supposed to be better for aerodynamics that way.
 
Yeah. I believe it is supposed to make less excessive downforce on the rear wheels and make the downforce more on the center of the car. Supposed to increase rotatability (<-funny word). Meawhile, in real life, the car loses every rally event it enters. :dunce:
 
Hey, didn't that car win a couple of SS's?... which is like best the evos have done since um.. Mäkinen?

;)
 
Toronado
Yeah. I believe it is supposed to make less excessive downforce on the rear wheels and make the downforce more on the center of the car. Supposed to increase rotatability (<-funny word). Meawhile, in real life, the car loses every rally event it enters. :dunce:

I didn't even know that it sucks that much, even with all the modifications from the street Evo's, it still SUCKS!?! Looks like Triple Diamond is getting worse at Rallying. 👎
 
by movin tha wing up, it t0tally gives tha car more horsepower and pWnS the compatishun!
 
toke81
by movin tha wing up, it t0tally gives tha car more horsepower and pWnS the compatishun!

with talk like that, i just can't help but like ya...
 
Ezz777
with talk like that, i just can't help but like ya...

ahh gt, bringing together two people who disagree on soccer, what a wonderful game this is
 
I guess it's to do with the way the air separates and generates lift when it flows over the rear window, it could take advantage of an aerodynamic flow feature in this area.

The aero balance rotatability bit mentioned by toronado sounds good too, any forces/masses nearer the CoG will improve "flickability". Nice.

Also with a wing of that sort of size it's got to be good for another 50 bhp and 25mph on the top end. Like red stripes on the side of your car, it makes it fasterer.



Kurtis
 
I think actually that the little wing on top of the roof above the rear window is to help guide the air flow better to the rear trunk spoiler, thus making the trunk spoiler more effective. I think they first did it on the old BMW 3.0 CSL.
 
interesting, havent seenthis car yet.... i'll have to look
 
I believe that it has posted a few fasted stage times in the hands of Gigi Galli, but I think that mainly down to the driver being a nutter than the car!

17012005_Especif_Lancer_WRC05.jpg
 
daan
How do they open the boot?

From this angle it looks like that wing would lock the boot down, and you'd have to remove it to open it up.

:confused:
 
ferrari_chris
How do they open the boot?

From this angle it looks like that wing would lock the boot down, and you'd have to remove it to open it up.

:confused:


Good Point and i also wondered this, i can only imagine that the boot opens up inside the spoiler. so the spoiler is actually mounted to the rear wings. If this isnt the case well we can all just point and laugh when you see somebody trying to open the boot on one :lol:
 
Just what goes in the boot of a rally car anyway?

It's not as if we're going to see someone going for a few Tesco carrier bags and a 6 bottle wine carrier are we! Although that would be fun to see the aftermath of an off road trip to Tescos!
 
MadduckUK
Golf Clubs and Illigal Immigrants, fool :p


Lol :) I actually think they have to have their spare tyres in there... So it has to come open somehow.
 
The spare wheel is in the boot of a rally car, the boot opens conventionally bt the wing isn't attached to it, the boot opens inside the win and the wing doesn't move..
 
I've moved this discussion to the 'Cars In General' thread since we're not really talking about GT4...

To answer your question about changing the wing in GT Auto, I'd be very surprised if you can change it.
 
No you can't the wing in the GT auto.
 
Ske
Hey, didn't that car win a couple of SS's?... which is like best the evos have done since um.. Mäkinen?

;)
I was just curious to know where you are from, Ske. (Most English-talking people write it Makinen.)
 
I knew it was a bi-plaane wing, I thought it wasn't attached to the boot, then I should've realised the boot couldn't open inside it withit being a bi-plane type wing :dunce:.
 
Greycap
I was just curious to know where you are from, Ske. (Most English-talking people write it Makinen.)

Norway, we like to 'keep it real' here ;)
 
Back