Sport Mode has a major Matchmaking flaw

• Thread starter PsxMicha
  • 15 comments
Germany
Germany
Hey everyone!

I haven't played GT Sport on PS4 and I really enjoy the Sport Mode in GT 7.
Or I have to say: I would enjoy it if it wasn't for this mayor problem!

The Matchmaking in Sport Mode is not region based or ping based. It's based on your PSN account.

I live in Germany and my main PSN account is an US account. I only get matched with north and south americans! The ping is pretty bad because of that.

Imagine you are from australia, bought a PS3 in 2008, created your PSN account, moved to the UK and still use your PSN account.
It means you're now in the UK but you would only get matched with Australians!

This sucks a lot and Sport Mode is almost unplayable because of that :-\ ping ist just way to high!

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't be the only one with this problem.

I really wish PD would change the Matchmaking to be ping based/region based or give us the option to select our Sport Region where we wanna be matched.

Happens something similar to me, I bought my PS4 and created my account while in Japan. Now I'm back into my country in Spain and I'm forced to play Sport mode with Japanese people. Ping don't seem to be an issue, most of the time is pretty good, guess because I'm playing on night time for Japanese servers and there's not too many people.

They should change match making system so you get paired with people on your server side.

Just create an account for the region you are in. If you are in Germany with a US account, or Spain with a Japan account, create an account in your current country and you will be paired with people from your region. There are plenty of people with accounts in other regions. Some because of this and some just so that they can race people from/in other regions.

All you need is a valid email and physical address.

I have an Australian PSN account (that I started when I lived in Australia), but have since moved. Now I am in Canada and still use my original account because it has all of my games, trophies, friends etc on it. I never had a problem with ping in sport mode in GT Sport or GT7. But then I started a Canadian PSN account to participate in the FIA series (couldn't do the timeslots for AU - 0400 to 0800 Canadian time). Once I was in the same geographical region as my opponents, the lag and connection was terrible. I had more lag and disconnect issues in half a dozen FIA races in the 'right' region than I did in ~500 sport mode races in the 'wrong' region.

Isn't this the case for all PlayStation games rather than a GranTurismo specific problem?
I honestly don't know as I don't really play anything else online.

Isn't this the case for all PlayStation games rather than a GranTurismo specific problem?
I think it is GT specific because I played PUBG and Apex legends and they ping you to the server based on location

I race F1 online a lot in Canada and I get matched with people all over the world! Literally every continent. Would be nice if GT did that too.

That sounds like a Sony Problem more so than a GT7 problem...

SEN should let you update your country of living if you move :/
-I would assume they would need to put in some restrictions to stop people from changing regions all the time for nefarious purposes but should be an easy upgrade to the PSN

Yep, I was hoping that they’d change this with GT7 but they didn’t. I have to play with Asia-Pacific players while I’m on the east coast of the US.
That sounds like a Sony Problem more so than a GT7 problem...

SEN should let you update your country of living if you move :/
-I would assume they would need to put in some restrictions to stop people from changing regions all the time for nefarious purposes but should be an easy upgrade to the PSN
While that is indeed a Sony problem, it doesn't have to be a GT7 problem, many other racing titles just let you set your nationality freely. And GT Sport and GT7 are the only two games that do matchmaking based on account region among dozens of online games I've played in the last decade, it was common back in the early PS3 days but nowadays it's just outdated and weird.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I haven't played GT Sport on PS4 and I really enjoy the Sport Mode in GT 7.
Or I have to say: I would enjoy it if it wasn't for this mayor problem!

The Matchmaking in Sport Mode is not region based or ping based. It's based on your PSN account.

I live in Germany and my main PSN account is an US account. I only get matched with north and south americans! The ping is pretty bad because of that.

Imagine you are from australia, bought a PS3 in 2008, created your PSN account, moved to the UK and still use your PSN account.
It means you're now in the UK but you would only get matched with Australians!

This sucks a lot and Sport Mode is almost unplayable because of that :-\ ping ist just way to high!

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't be the only one with this problem.

I really wish PD would change the Matchmaking to be ping based/region based or give us the option to select our Sport Region where we wanna be matched.
You're only just figuring this out?

I'm in the UK & my main has been a US account since 2009. Mainly because I save tonnes of money by buying all my games out of the US digital store but also because I despise playing against Europeans because they're some of the biggest cheating, no sportsmanship players in every game.

I prefer playing against the US/Canada because at least they SOMEWHAT copy the UK concept of fair play, although not always... plus I just don't find them as skilled as the Europeans when it comes to racing games. All the top talent is in Europe, & to me it feels like the general level of skill is higher in the EU, so I'd rather play in the US where I can feel more competitive at the higher level, & not feel like I'm getting crushed in low A lobbies in EU or something.

Also ping based won't change this issue because I have a separate VPN router that I use for ping based games like Destiny 2, so that I can force myself with the US crowd.

It used to be cool being one of the only brits on US servers like 10 years ago, but these days more people have hopped on the bandwagon.

Anyway the ping isn't too high at all, I play literally all my games on US servers & my connection is great. If people send me replays from situations in the race neither of us are ever lagging.
I have a way more stable connection with US racers than the Brazilians do with US racers... They're the ones that are always laggy as hell.

The only way around the current system for you is just make a European account & race on that, & use the US account for buying games.

I have had a similar issue, but not really one that gives me server issues, since it's the region I would fall into anyway. My country was not supported by PSN when I initially made the account, and to this day it still isn't. It's a little annoying that I can't use a Jamaican flag online in GT, so strange that you can't at least change that.

As annoying as it seems to make a new account, it's probably your best bet. It's honestly not that bad. You don't have to pay for ps+ twice, as long as one account on the console has it the other accounts can use it.

Also, now that you can rent cars in sport mode you shouldn't have to really grind at all to get cars or anything. You just need to do the first few café races to unlock sport mode and you should be good to go on your second account.

Back