Sport Mode Is Flawed For Measuring Skill

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
You need to run the assists to be competitive. Against the AI I only use ABS weak and on very few cars like the LeFerrari traction control. Online in Sport Mode, you're basically forced to use the assists, so you can aggressively chuck a car around a corner and not wipe out. Where is the skill in that? No need for smooth throttle, brake and steering application.

There should be "hardcore" races in Sport Mode. Only way to have a "hardcore" race is in private lobbies.

Edit: I'm OK with ABS and traction control, as they are realistic aids employed in a lot of race cars. But novice stuff such as spin recovery, counter steering, visual aids, etc. should not be allowed in Sport Mode imo. Those are crutches.

Last edited:
There are racing sanctions that allow for tcs and abs in real life now. No need to hate those that take advantage of technology. If you can post a better lap time without, applause and glory to you.
But what about spin recovery and counter steering, along with the visual driving aids.
Sport mode should only allow traction control and ABS, as those are realistic aids. Everything else should not be allowed.

Sport mode should only allow traction control and ABS, as those are realistic aids. Everything else should not be allowed.

One of the earliest bits of marketing about the game was the whole "for ages 7–77" aspect. I imagine that's why you see more driving aids allowed.

Give people a competitive gaming platform, and they will find any aspect they can to gain an advantage. We've seen it before in GT even: GT Academy has had issues in the past with exploits.

The game isn't about recreating real-world motorsports. It's Polyphony's vision for the next step. Going into it expecting, say, a Blancpain simulator (not saying you are, simply using it as an example), isn't going to go well, IMO.

And it’s ok. The more “nannies” they enable, the less skill and knowledge they possess. Those types will never move on to real life glory. Unlike those of us who taste glory daily with our elitist talent. Take heed my man! The internet is fictitious. The real life is glory. As my sig says:

And it’s ok. The more “nannies” they enable, the less skill and knowledge they possess. Those types will never move on to real life glory. Unlike those of us who taste glory daily with our elitist talent. Take heed my man! The internet is fictitious. The real life is glory. As my sig says:
Unfortunately I can't afford a car in real life that will go really fast.
That's why God invented the liter bike :cheers:

^ as a liter bike owner, you understand the abs safety then. MotoGP has abs, right?
In the early years of abs, non-abs was faster, allowing the driver to get deep into the pedal. Today’s systems are so advanced you’d be hard pressed to out perform it.

^ as a liter bike owner, you understand the abs safety then. MotoGP has abs, right?
In the early years of abs, non-abs was faster, allowing the driver to get deep into the pedal. Today’s systems are so advanced you’d be hard pressed to out perform it.
The two strokes didn't. Most liter bikes pre 2010 didn't as well, including my 2006 zx10r. Most bikes in the 2000s had zero aids. And power has barely increased since the mid 2000s.

Anyway, I'm OK with ABS and traction control. Just not the other noob stuff in Sport Mode. Also don't like how it automatically places your car back on track when you screw up.

Last edited:
I've won 9 out of 11 of the online Sport races I've entered thus far, and in every single one I raced with assists off, though I left ABS on 'default'.

I don't think such a mode is necessary. At the end of the day, if a particular vehicle is giving you issues with traction, either put TCS on or simply choose a more stable car. If however you can control most vehicles with TCS off, usually there's a speed and turning advantage. To counter that, with TCS off, you just have to learn to more often than not be easy or gradual on the throttle/turning, even under pressure. It's a risk reward type situation.

I've won 9 out of 11 of the online Sport races I've entered thus far, and in every single one I raced with assists off, though I left ABS on 'default'.

I don't think such a mode is necessary. At the end of the day, if a particular vehicle is giving you issues with traction, either put TCS on or simply choose a more stable car. If however you can control most vehicles with TCS off, usually there's a speed and turning advantage. To counter that, with TCS off, you just have to learn to more often than not be easy or gradual on the throttle/turning, even under pressure. It's a risk reward type situation.
Some tracks like Dragon Seaside all aids off (except ABS weak) will not make you any slower. They will only help you if you screw up. Or if someone rams you and you lose control.

In my experience running too much traction control neuters your drive off of corners so I don't think running a bunch of it makes you competitive and I agree that it makes you faster to modulate your own throttle. At the same time, I think running some, especially if you are playing with a controller, is reasonable. It's just another thing to tune, and as some have said, it does have a relation to real racing.

Personally, I try to distinguish between aids that are realistic and those that don't have a corollary in real cars - those are the crutches. If sport mode banned the crutches I would be cool with that, and if people want to make hardcore lobbies, I'm cool with that too, but sport mode doesn't need to be "hardcore" to be fun and competitive.

In my experience running too much traction control neuters your drive off of corners so I don't think running a bunch of it makes you competitive and I agree that it makes you faster to modulate your own throttle. At the same time, I think running some, especially if you are playing with a controller, is reasonable. It's just another thing to tune, and as some have said, it does have a relation to real racing.

Personally, I try to distinguish between aids that are realistic and those that don't have a corollary in real cars - those are the crutches. If sport mode banned the crutches I would be cool with that, and if people want to make hardcore lobbies, I'm cool with that too, but sport mode doesn't need to be "hardcore" to be fun and competitive.
They should make seperate playlists that are "hardcore" then. I think the player base is large enough on the console for that we don't have to worry about fragmenting a small player base.

Based on your edited OP, I think we are on the same page. Make sport mode reasonably realistic without banning aids that have corollaries in real race cars. When you start banning those, that's the point that I would call it "hardcore" and I don't think sport mode really needs that, but i wouldn't be against more options/races to choose from.

They should make seperate playlists that are "hardcore" then. I think the player base is large enough on the console for that we don't have to worry about fragmenting a small player base.
There are "separate playlists"

It's called Sportsmanship Rating.

Based on your edited OP, I think we are on the same page. Make sport mode reasonably realistic without banning aids that have corollaries in real race cars. When you start banning those, that's the point that I would call it "hardcore" and I don't think sport mode really needs that, but i wouldn't be against more options/races to choose from.
Cheers

Latest Posts

Back