Sport mode placing me with slower drivers?

• Thread starter Schluney
  • 22 comments
United States
United States
Last night I set a lap time of 2:10 at Suzuka for the GR4 race. I raced 5 races setting pole on all of them with the closest second place at a 2:13? One race the person in second had a qualifying time of 2:17? I won 5 races in a row before becoming bored. I’m not a all star driver I had one win prior to last night... I think of those 5 races the closest one was 3 seconds and I spun. The largest gap was over 11? Anyone else having this problem?

No. What DR and SR are you? I have the opposite problem. I’m always in rooms with A/S and S/S drivers making up the first 4-6 spots. It‘s all I can do sometimes just to make up 1-2 spots. Usually Q mid pack.

Are you using a Megane?

Last night I set a lap time of 2:10 at Suzuka for the GR4 race. I raced 5 races setting pole on all of them with the closest second place at a 2:13? One race the person in second had a qualifying time of 2:17? I won 5 races in a row before becoming bored. I’m not a all star driver I had one win prior to last night... I think of those 5 races the closest one was 3 seconds and I spun. The largest gap was over 11? Anyone else having this problem?
Many racers are currently avoiding the GR4 basically one make Megane races at the moment. Suzuka is even worse than normal with 2 long straights instead of 1.

Matchmaking is weird. Yesterday I went from DR.D to DR.B. While in DR.D I would get match with B, A and even S for no chance at winning. Then when I entered C it started to get more consistent, less A drivers. Then in B pretty much all B drivers and many pole positions with a 2.09.5 lap. Maybe when I get to A I'll be matched with D again....

Also is it my imagination or are the top A drivers always laggy? 3 bars at most.

I started out with the Dodge Viper then switched to the Megane after getting passed consistently by Meganes. I did another qualifying lap and shaved off half a second on the opt time for the Viper on the first lap...

No. What DR and SR are you? I have the opposite problem. I’m always in rooms with A/S and S/S drivers making up the first 4-6 spots. It‘s all I can do sometimes just to make up 1-2 spots. Usually Q mid pack.

Are you using a Megane?

I’m a DR C and SR B I used the Megane for qualifying and first race won by 11 seconds and switched to the M4, and GTR. I was able to win by as much as 8 seconds with those.

This needs to be answered and sent to PD if affirmative

:banghead:

Used the megane for qualifying and first race when I won by 11 seconds I switched to the M4 then the GTR. Races weren’t much closer as I won by as much as 8 seconds with those.

Lol, wouldn't see many people complaining about that :lol:

Haha true but I felt almost guilty knowing I was beating people who are most likely better racers than me. I would pull ahead in the first sector and then the race was over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a DR C and SR B I used the Megane for qualifying and first race won by 11 seconds and switched to the M4, and GTR. I was able to win by as much as 8 seconds with those.
That pretty much explains it. Once you move up in DR, the competition will be much faster.

Setting your Q time with the fastest GR4 car and then using another car shouldn’t be allowed. The Q times should be car specific.

Matchmaking is weird. Yesterday I went from DR.D to DR.B. While in DR.D I would get match with B, A and even S for no chance at winning. Then when I entered C it started to get more consistent, less A drivers. Then in B pretty much all B drivers and many pole positions with a 2.09.5 lap. Maybe when I get to A I'll be matched with D again....

Also is it my imagination or are the top A drivers always laggy? 3 bars at most.

I started out with the Dodge Viper then switched to the Megane after getting passed consistently by Meganes. I did another qualifying lap and shaved off half a second on the opt time for the Viper on the first lap...

I started using my usual WRX at Suzuka yesterday and while you can just about keep up with the meganes in it, you have no chance in hell of actually passing one. You can annihilate them in the turns only to get passed as if you're not moving on the straights.
So after two races like that I switched to the Scirocco. Knocked over a second off my quali lap at the first attempt. Finished 2nd in my next two races (behind a Megane both times).
Went to bed after that, disappointed with the current state of Gr4.

So to all the people who who start threads daily about losing their ratings after one or two races should just switch to the Megane to artificially get it back to where it was. Should be in the manual!

That pretty much explains it. Once you move up in DR, the competition will be much faster.

Setting your Q time with the fastest GR4 car and then using another car shouldn’t be allowed. The Q times should be car specific.

Good to know! I thought switching to a slower car would help.

I feel that you should have to race the car you qualify with and if you change cars you should have to qualify again with that car to be able to race it.

In the scenario that you just gave using the OP car gave you pole position in a field that was not very competitive to your racing times. When you switched to a slower car you were still given the pole position advantage from using a faster car. As many times pole can get away at the start and just hot lap around a clear track the racers in 2nd on back are in battles for position which will slow them down.

If you had of needed to qualify the slower cars you may not have had the pole and would have had to battle for position which may have netted you different results and much better races.

Not your fault or doing as it is how the game currently works but something I think the game needs to address for fairness across the board.

I started using my usual WRX at Suzuka yesterday and while you can just about keep up with the meganes in it, you have no chance in hell of actually passing one. You can annihilate them in the turns only to get passed as if you're not moving on the straights.
So after two races like that I switched to the Scirocco. Knocked over a second off my quali lap at the first attempt. Finished 2nd in my next two races (behind a Megane both times).
Went to bed after that, disappointed with the current state of Gr4.

I personally don’t think it’s the straighline acceleration of the megane. I think the corner exit speeds are higher because you can apply the power often before the apex. Even with TCS off it won’t slip and hardly understeers. But I will admit I’m no authority on the subject. I’ve never been a avid GT player. I’ve had every game since GT3 but not sure I’ve ever finished all the races.

I did the 10 lap race the other day in the Megane and it placed me with a field of E rank drivers. I'm DR:B. Basically racing against the clock for 10 laps.

Most of the time I'm placed upper mid-pack when ranked with drivers at my own level - if I improve my Q time, the competition it puts me against just seems to get harder by the same amount and I see no real reward for the effort, which can be a little disheartening.

I personally don’t think it’s the straighline acceleration of the megane. I think the corner exit speeds are higher because you can apply the power often before the apex. Even with TCS off it won’t slip and hardly understeers.

Have to disagree, the WRX let's you get on the power way earlier than the megane or scirocco. And they still pass you easy on the straights. They're just too damn fast.

Edit: To be fair I actually haven't driven the megane before only the scirocco, so you may be correct in the case of the megane. But defo not the scirocco.

I feel that you should have to race the car you qualify with and if you change cars you should have to qualify again with that car to be able to race it.

In the scenario that you just gave using the OP car gave you pole position in a field that was not very competitive to your racing times. When you switched to a slower car you were still given the pole position advantage from using a faster car. As many times pole can get away at the start and just hot lap around a clear track the racers in 2nd on back are in battles for position which will slow them down.

If you had of needed to qualify the slower cars you may not have had the pole and would have had to battle for position which may have netted you different results and much better races.

Not your fault or doing as it is how the game currently works but something I think the game needs to address for fairness across the board.

I’m glad I posted here. That’s not how I wish to win races! I will say my qualifying time with the M4 was 2:12.XX wich was still a few seconds faster than the competitor.

As already said, not many people running the gr. 4 races at this moment, specially those who don't want to use the Megane or the Scirocco. So not so many players available as usual.
Also, those who are using the Megane lately are having their DR rating pumped up, contrary of those who drive the RWD cars.
So, you have people with high driver rating which aren't such as good I'm afraid. And, when some driver who is "correctly" ranked puts some time with the same Megane, they are smashed.
Edit: Also, some people aren't giving their maximum attack to qualify the best they can, as the word around is that is better to your ranking to gain positions through the race.

I'm experiencing the opposite behaviour - I'm constantly being put with faster drivers, (DRB/SRS) - if I'm able to set a really good qualifying time - ~ 1 second behind top 10 I'm expecting to get at least 1 pole in 5 races (having in mind I'm DR B) but I'm not - I always get 4-5-6th and many times, if there are not enough players in B matching my skills, I get matched with A ranked drivers, even played the top 10 guys a few times. At that point I'm stuck at B for probably 60 races up until now without a win - probably around 15 podiums or more. I'm mid B and not able to go either up or down resulting in staying in the same level of the progress bar and I don't want to artificially lower my rank to C.

You need to raise your safety level, you'll get matched against some quicker guys then.

This makes a huge difference! You will find much faster drivers at SR A and even faster at SR S.

As already said, not many people running the gr. 4 races at this moment, specially those who don't want to use the Megane or the Scirocco. So not so many players available as usual.
Also, those who are using the Megane lately are having their DR rating pumped up, contrary of those who drive the RWD cars.
So, you have people with high driver rating which aren't such as good I'm afraid. And, when some driver who is "correctly" ranked puts some time with the same Megane, they are smashed.

You make a point I haven't thought of. I personally know I don't race Gr.4 anymore. I'm sure others don't for the same reason. Never thought about how it would affect matchmaking.

I'm experiencing the opposite behaviour - I'm constantly being put with faster drivers, (DRB/SRS) - if I'm able to set a really good qualifying time - ~ 1 second behind top 10 I'm expecting to get at least 1 pole in 5 races (having in mind I'm DR B) but I'm not - I always get 4-5-6th and many times, if there are not enough players in B matching my skills, I get matched with A ranked drivers, even played the top 10 guys a few times. At that point I'm stuck at B for probably 60 races up until now without a win - probably around 15 podiums or more. I'm mid B and not able to go either up or down resulting in staying in the same level of the progress bar and I don't want to artificially lower my rank to C.
that's nothing :D A/S and with the same time as you said I usually start 10th or worse :D I don't know how I am supposed to accomplish that victory trophy :banghead:

Back