sport mode questions

• Thread starter cleanLX
  • 16 comments
United States
Phoenix Az.
HuddyBob
Raced online last night for the first time... Suzuka... raced 3 in a row.
Online name is huddybob...

Ran time trial or whatever, which I figured was qualification.
In every race I was placed at the back of the grid, yet, in race was clearly not the slowest qualifier... quicker and more consistent/controlled than those ahead of me.
So,
1. Is there a something I'm missing regarding qualifying?

Warmup lap... seems really odd, but having qualified last, during warm up, folks were running off the road, and, running one another off the road... then magically, when the race started, I was no longer in last place... got to start as high as 14th.
So,
2. Warm up, essentially, is a means to better your starting position by passing cars. Right? Seems so wrong.

In my first race I was having a great battle for 6th on the 9th lap... overcooked the chicanes leading onto the front straight in an attempt to get 6th, did not crash, but lost a lot of time... over the course of lap 10 I was able to reel 6th back in and was in the same position leading into the chicanes, I had visions of getting a great exit and making a run to the line... and the game quit... race over, have a nice day... never got to try and make a last run at 6th...
3. Is it typical that the game does not allow the back markers to finish the race?

Apology required;
I have some learning to do, and need to develop more patience, stuck my nose in on "whiteLUDE" and took 2nd on my last race, on lap 10.
From the cockpit during the race, it looked like he washed out a little, left an opening, and, I went for it... again, at the time it then appeared he tried to close the door and got us both in a mess, I recovered quicker and resumed in 2nd place... a couple corners later I noticed I had a 10sec. penalty, and thought "what the heck"... I slowed on the straight headed to that fast corner... (R-something?) and whiteLUDE caught me up right at the last chicanes and went by, but, this time he overcooked it... I went through neatly and got 2nd... Now, since watching the replay... where the "incident" occurred, he actually had a decent line... and, the curb pushed me a little wider than I anticipated... and, I guess he didn't see me go inside... with all that combined... it's pretty clear I made a very aggressive move...
Apology here;
Sorry "whiteLUDE".
Hope to see him online again, and show him more respect, and that I can finish a race clean.

Observation;
Racing people who are using a "controller" rather than a wheel is very difficult. They are dart-y and unpredictable, and, no way my car would stay on the road doing the "snap" maneuvers they get away with.

No gripes;
Got ran into, pushed off the road, and made some mistakes of my own... no gripes here, all the threads about being run over had prepared me, and, being new at this, admittedly I gave some too... tho was unintentional, sorry to those I bumped... never wrecked anyone, but did benefit from a bump here and there... to those that were racing clean and controlled, I let up and gave the spot back, to those that were erratic and all over the road, I carried on... but, in retrospect, could have been more patient.

Last edited:
1. Yes it wasn't working properly as there was an issue with the servers, it's apparently been sorted now and shouldn't happen again.

2. No, it's just a warm up and doesn't serve much purpose as people just mess about. The grid changes will have been due to the bug too, you cannot improve your grid position with the warm up (unless some people quit/get booted from the race before it starts).

3. Yes if you are too slow, there's a time limit which starts to count down once the winner has crossed the line.

Last edited:
1. In the last 3 days there are some issues with qualifying, the times of most of the players aren't registering, so they don't get a qualifying time. No idea how the game sorts starting order between the players without a time set.

2. Warm up only use is to warm up tires. If you don't do it, you'll get lousy grip on the beginning of the race. Could be you started 14th because 2 players left the race between qualifying and the start of the race?

I'll have to look at the replay, but there were several cars behind me... and I "qualified" dead last.

After matching you first see an unsorted(!) table with all competitors, which then changes to the one sorted by qualifying time.

Could be the reason why you were listed at the back first and then suddenly were 14th at the start.

This as well, at least most of the time, sometimes the first screen is listed correctly for some reason. The bug will have complicated things too in the OP's case.

I'll have to look at the replay, but there were several cars behind me... and I "qualified" dead last.

Are you sure you qualified last?
Because, in first place is shown a list of the players entering the race, with the times ahead, but not ordered by times. You could be last on this list, doesn't mean anything.
Only later is exhibited the starting order, by qualifying times.

ah... I'll have to go look...
Still, seems odd to start 14th, and have pace to race though the field and have 1st and 2nd in clear sight by race end.
Either way, was a lot of fun.
I'm now addicted.

Still, seems odd to start 14th, and have pace to race though the field and have 1st and 2nd in clear sight by race end.
I'm now addicted.

Yes it is a lot of fun, and that's why people should try it before just moaning that GTsport has no campaign. Sport Mode is very addictive and racing against AI after racing against real opponents just seems utterly pointless.

I'm now addicted.

Are you sure your lap time from practice was registered? Or there was no time at all on the lists?
As I said, in the last 3 days there have been some glitches on the servers and most of the players don't get their times registeres, for some reason. The races I entered, there were more players without a time set than players with a time, so highly probable that a 14th place is from a player with no time.

Yes it is a lot of fun, and that's why people should try it before just moaning that GTsport has no campaign. Sport Mode is very addictive and racing against AI after racing against real opponents just seems utterly pointless.
I agree. Sport Mode is very good. Certainly the best online racing I’ve experienced and at SR/S level is usually fairly clean, even if it does have its moments.

...a couple corners later I noticed I had a 10sec. penalty, and thought "what the heck"... I slowed on the straight headed to that fast corner... (R-something?) and whiteLUDE caught me up right at the last chicanes and went by, but, this time he overcooked it... I went through neatly and got 2nd...

If you get a penalty, do not slow down and wait for the timer to reach zero, you will lose a lot of time. Instead just continue racing and your penalty will be reduced over a few laps.

If you get a penalty, do not slow down and wait for the timer to reach zero, you will lose a lot of time. Instead just continue racing and your penalty will be reduced over a few laps.

Hopefully the penalties that really have little effect by being able to scrub them off in race will be fixed in the upcoming update and all penalties will be assessed post race in full so they have some meaning to the finish of the offenders.

Good on you...i always review tape and on more than a few occasions, saw that I overreacted or misintereted an event. I agree about controller users as well, at least the ones that dart around.

Back