Sports Car GT - Playing on PC in 2019?

• Thread starter Falcon787B
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
Hello all!

So recently I came across Sports Car GT on PS1, and finally got to play a game I'd heard so much about for many years. And what d'ya know? It's pretty damn good. But I know the PC version is the one that has the legendary reputation, developed as it was by ISI who went on to make rFactor and such.

Trouble is, where do you even begin with getting a nearly 20-year-old game working on modern Windows 10 PCs?

Simple questions: has anyone done this, and what is the process for doing so?

Hi, I never played PS1 version but from what I have seen on the internet, the PC version is miles better in every regard possible. It's a great game that doesn't require powerful PC, and owns a great modding community that is no longer active, but lots of its content has been left on the internet if you're into that stuff.

I should recommend you try the demo first. I heard that many old games don't work well on W10, experienced two of them myself, but you won't know until you try. In my case SCGT run on Linux fairly well, had no trouble playing it except that I could not run it in full screen mode, but that's all I remember.

Hi, I never played PS1 version but from what I have seen on the internet, the PC version is miles better in every regard possible. It's a great game that doesn't require powerful PC, and owns a great modding community that is no longer active, but lots of its content has been left on the internet if you're into that stuff.

I should recommend you try the demo first. I heard that many old games don't work well on W10, experienced two of them myself, but you won't know until you try. In my case SCGT run on Linux fairly well, had no trouble playing it except that I could not run it in full screen mode, but that's all I remember.

Yeah, ironically the first exposure I had to Sports Car GT was from a modding community for NASCAR Heat who made an SCGT mod, including some of the fantasy tracks in that game and a fair amount of the cars. The PC version looks AMAZING - I'm having al ot of fun with the PS1 version, but the PC version I know will haev superior graphics and physics. I'll try the demo and see how it runs :)

EDIT: Just tried running the demo, and I'm getting an error message saying 'CUBE Error! Requested video mode not supported' and the game doesn't load up. Hmmm.

The PSX version, other than having a couple of exclusive cars, is absolute hot steaming garbage in comparison to the PC one. The difference is almost as dramatic as the PC and PSX version of NFS V. The game is essentially an American racing series equivalent to TOCA 2, but with a Gran Turismo game progression structure. That being said, it was a struggle to get running properly even on later Windows XP computers natively, and it wasn't even particularly friendly to hardware contemporary with the game; so what you want to use is nGlide or DGVoodoo to get it running in a graphics wrapper. Either Direct3D or 3DFX options are fine for the latter, since the game wasn't like NFS III and IV where there were graphics enhancements for glide mode.

First of all, I am pleased you were able to find this gem of a racing game and playing it on a modern PC. A key to me playing Sports Car GT was in finding a program called dgVoodoo. It's about the only way to play it more efficiently than trying to run everything the old fashioned way. My advice would be to look up "DgVoodoo" online. Drop it into your main Sports Car GT folder, adjust a number of settings, and you should be able to play this game fairly well. You will have to play around with a lot of the settings to find something that works best for your system.

I hope this helps. Now go win some races in SCGT already! ;) By the way... I have played both the PlayStation 1 and PC versions of SCGT. The PC version is MUCH better to me.

I have nothing to help you, but I hope you find a solution. This was one of the best PC racers; was a ton of fun and would love to see it remastered one day.

Facts, McLaren. I've logged a lot of miles/kilometers and laps in Sports Car GT across the in-game content and several mods. My only regret then is that I didn't have as powerful a PC to play SCGT at its fullest. I still had fun for the most part. The troublesome aspect today is that there aren't as many resources today in 2019 for if you want mods for SCGT. Not many resources would be around 10 years ago, and maybe a few more resources would still be online 15 years ago. I still say rFactor (also made by Image Space Incorporated) wouldn't have been possible without SCGT, especially the modding aspect of SCGT.

So be sure to ask around, Falcon787B. You might find the answers to your questions eventually.

Few months ago I added few vintage cars and 60's tire model to increase challenge. Lots of fun, you can basically tweak every portion of the game to suit your preferences.

You can also fairly easily dump the built-in cars and edit them to fit however you want the game structured. You're still limited to four classes, but you can completely change what cars show up in what class and how they all perform in that class.

Funny story, I have a Windows 7 box I've sort of put together precisely for this sort of thing. Wi give it a run, some of those mods look mighty interesting!!!

Latest Posts

Back