Sportsmanship Rating

• Thread starter shadow0460
  • 13 comments
United States
United States
I think I know the basics on this, race clean, don't go off track, avoid hitting other cars at all costs, etc. but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
What does it take to go up or down a rank? Will a few track limit penalties cause it? What happens if I drive through a car that's ghosted or it drives through me? If I simply slide off the track without affecting anyone else does that count against me? Is there a number of clean races required to raise it?
I've been rated a solid B since I started online. My DR just increased from D to C. I rarely get clean races but I will avoid collisions with other cars, ghost or not, at all costs. Sometimes I slide off track or hit a wall. I know offline doesn't affect SR directly, but I race the same now offline in hopes I'll get better at sharing the track.
Are there specific things I need to do or is getting the clean race bonus/recognition a good indicator where my SR is headed?

I think I know the basics on this, race clean, don't go off track, avoid hitting other cars at all costs, etc. but it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
What does it take to go up or down a rank? Will a few track limit penalties cause it? What happens if I drive through a car that's ghosted or it drives through me? If I simply slide off the track without affecting anyone else does that count against me? Is there a number of clean races required to raise it?
I've been rated a solid B since I started online. My DR just increased from D to C. I rarely get clean races but I will avoid collisions with other cars, ghost or not, at all costs. Sometimes I slide off track or hit a wall. I know offline doesn't affect SR directly, but I race the same now offline in hopes I'll get better at sharing the track.
Are there specific things I need to do or is getting the clean race bonus/recognition a good indicator where my SR is headed?
I have a poor SR mainly through going off track or receiving track limit penalties, pretty much the exact same story as yours. Also just moved up to c DR.

If only we still had an indicator telling us for each sector (or even better in real time) if our SR is going up or down.
Why did PD remove it? Maybe because dirty drivers would exploit it?

Last edited:
You shouldn't focus on winning the numbers game and instead should focus on racing better. Doing the latter will make the former better. This line of logic is putting the cart before the horse. Plus SR doesn't even matter until you're in A lobbies as anything less than DR A is all lumped in together since almost no one races online.

Last edited:
If only we still had an indicator telling us for each sector (or even better in real time) if our SR is going up or down.

I have a slightly wild theory that Sport mode framework was built upon n older version of GTS and that's why we didn't have all the features, things like the chat choices etc. upon launch and still well into the lifespan of the game we don't have everything back. It's likely forgotten.

I still feel dirty drivers exploit the game cuz the penalty system it self is a joke. You can literally spin ppl out every corner with a tap of the rear and not get a penalty for it. I see it a lot.

Last edited:
Just practice cleaner driving techniques.
Dont overshoot corners, dont draft other cars near braking zones or turns.(even more so in lower ranked lobbies).

I myself am S rated for SR but C rated for DR.
My DR could be higher but I have not played online in a while

Easy, you get clean sectors, get plus points, not a clean sector, get minus points, after the race you will have a points total (that can be positive or negative) to add up to you total. This SR points translate on the ranking levels.

PD never informed the exact points plus or minus, but it's pretty easy to get a plus total after each race. Leaving the track limits in situations where there isn't an obvious advantage doesn't take you significant points, with the situations that take you to a penalty being the worst. Also, having a DNF is a major hit on SR points.
It's not that hard to get to SR S level (except if you keep getting DNFs, even if they are due to poor connection).

Also, be aware that Daily Race A, for almost half a year now, doesn't affect SR or DR, so no matter how many races you do in race A, you will get no evolution on your levels.

I don't get how people can have a low SR rating, as it's entirely within your control.

Keep it on the tarmac and don't hit things - it is literally the core of racing...

Start doing those 2 things and you'll find you will generally drive faster, so the DR will increase also.

As for the "all players are bunched together below DR-A" - that's wrong. 99% of the players I face are SR A and most are DR B - same as I am currently.

I don't get how people can have a low SR rating, as it's entirely within your control.

Keep it on the tarmac and don't hit things - it is literally the core of racing...

Start doing those 2 things and you'll find you will generally drive faster, so the DR will increase also.

As for the "all players are bunched together below DR-A" - that's wrong. 99% of the players I face are SR A and most are DR B - same as I am currently.
It depends where you sit in B. If you're on the lower half of B you're basically in a group that consists of DR D to DR B. If you would like I could record several races to prove this. There just aren't enough people playing online (gee I wonder why). SR is even worse. There is almost always a 4 tier gap in SR in my races even though I have maintained SR S since I started. I am also DR B atm. I'm trying to get up to the upper half of it, or A if I can because that's the only place this system actually works.

Gone back up to S now after 3 races at sazuka
SR only matters if you get your DR up because your minimum SR has to be the same as your DR. So being DR C with an S SR doesn't matter because everyone you're racing with will be able to have an SR of C or D (if you're mixed in with DR D, and you will be). The system obviously tries to split people up by SR, but when you have like 20 people playing across three DRs (D to low B), it doesn't really mean much. If there were A LOT more people playing online, it would matter a lot more. The only thing any of us can do is try to get our DR as high as possible to not get put into the mess that is low B to low D DR split. Optimally you want to be in very high B or A to get into splits where people are actually required to have better SR.

Don’t race daily A. There is a reason it doesn’t affect your driver rating or safety rating. Race A is a “for fun” race.
From another thread, and it explains why my ratings weren't changing.
I do try to keep it on the road and avoid other cars both online and off... unless you're E Brown in the Sunday Cup because I know once that baby hits 88MPH I'm gonna see some serious stuff.

Back