Spring is in The Air Once More in Latest Forza Horizon 4 Seasonal Events

I finally managed to get the spring barn find, I was on holiday the last time round so I finally completed the collection :D I'm not a big fan of the fact you need an Eagle Speedster for one of the championships though, they cost quite a bit and I don't have much money left over from buying Bamburgh Castle. Would it be so hard to let you borrow one for those races? :indiff:

After a week of sedans and trucks, It was exciting bringing the vintage bugatti out for first time on a nice clear country road. Seeing the suspension travel and transmission struggle. Good times.

I finally managed to get the spring barn find, I was on holiday the last time round so I finally completed the collection :D I'm not a big fan of the fact you need an Eagle Speedster for one of the championships though, they cost quite a bit and I don't have much money left over from buying Bamburgh Castle. Would it be so hard to let you borrow one for those races? :indiff:

To be fair, money is ridiculously easy to get in this game.

Well.... Yes and no. I have something around 8 full days of time registered in the hub thingy, and still don't have a castle, and only have half the cars.

I have 9m saved, 260 cars. So I need 16m cash for castles and another 200+ cars. So it's looking around 300+ hours of game time to have everything without VIP.

Yeah...No, it isn't. After you do all the achievments and sinle player stuff, it stops. I've been stuck at around 40 M for a long time now. Weekly challenges take a day to complete, so there's 6 days of no content. And no, I don't like to be used as a brake online.

By the way, why is this week's Forzathon shop Hoonicorn Mustang different from the one that was already in the game and what's different?

Yeah...No, it isn't. After you do all the achievments and sinle player stuff, it stops. I've been stuck at around 40 M for a long time now. Weekly challenges take a day to complete, so there's 6 days of no content.

I can't say I share your experience. I don't have a "one and done" approach towards this game. Even though I've completed everything, I focus on racing in different cars, I have the perks unlocked on many of them, and I do a lap around Goliath from time to time. This has led me to having 45 million credits and 460 unique cars (most of which are from wheelspins) and it's at the point where I'm getting at least a million credits every day.

Clearly, this is all down to playstyle which isn't surprising in a game as open as this one.

I can't say I share your experience. I don't have a "one and done" approach towards this game. Even though I've completed everything, I focus on racing in different cars, I have the perks unlocked on many of them, and I do a lap around Goliath from time to time. This has led me to having 45 million credits and 460 unique cars (most of which are from wheelspins) and it's at the point where I'm getting at least a million credits every day.

Clearly, this is all down to playstyle which isn't surprising in a game as open as this one.

It could also be down to how much time you have to play the game each day. I struggle to get cash as I can only play either on my lunch break or a little bit after work. I'm back up to a million after purchasing Bamburgh Castle but that's only because I've been spending my skill points on wheelspins and have got lucky. Outside of that I'm stuck with whatever the long events give me which isn't much at all, even with VIP. That's if I can even find the time to do them multiple times as they're generally quite lengthy.

It could also be down to how much time you have to play the game each day. I struggle to get cash as I can only play either on my lunch break or a little bit after work. I'm back up to a million after purchasing Bamburgh Castle but that's only because I've been spending my skill points on wheelspins and have got lucky. Outside of that I'm stuck with whatever the long events give me which isn't much at all, even with VIP. That's if I can even find the time to do them multiple times as they're generally quite lengthy.
One tip is to try to do as much Forzathon Lives as you can in the BMW M6 FE. That’s what I have been doing mostly after completing the singleplayer stuff. Buy super wheelspins from the surplus of FE points and burn the skillpoints from the chains in other cars to unlock cash and wheelspins. Sell the duplicate cars on the AH.

I played more hours than you but I now have all houses & castles, 450+ cars (all from prizes or rewards, except for 3 cars I bought for achievements or events) and over 50 mill credits in the bank. I only did Goliath for 4 laps (1 the first time and then 3 for the achievement). Never used any of the exploits or cheesy ways to get rediculous amounts of money since doing that that kinda killed the fun in FH3 for me.

One tip is to try to do as much Forzathon Lives as you can in the BMW M6 FE. That’s what I have been doing mostly after completing the singleplayer stuff. Buy super wheelspins from the surplus of FE points and burn the skillpoints from the chains in other cars to unlock cash and wheelspins. Sell the duplicate cars on the AH.

I played more hours than you but I now have all houses & castles, 450+ cars (all from prizes or rewards, except for 3 cars I bought for achievements or events) and over 50 mill credits in the bank. I only did Goliath for 4 laps (1 the first time and then 3 for the achievement). Never used any of the exploits or cheesy ways to get rediculous amounts of money since doing that that kinda killed the fun in FH3 for me.
Ok, so on a limited time budget, spend your limited time repeating forzathons over and over for money.

At what point do you play the game for fun then? Or is the whole thing just about grinding for credits so you can start having fun in a few weeks or months?

It seems like the anthem for these racing games anymore. Like hey, money is hard to get, so instead of playing the game, repeat a few particular extremely repetitive events instead.
You don't get to play, but hey, you have money while you drive back and forth through speed and drift zones.

On unlimited time it might be a different story.

Ok, so on a limited time budget, spend your limited time repeating forzathons over and over for money.

At what point do you play the game for fun then? Or is the whole thing just about grinding for credits so you can start having fun in a few weeks or months?

It seems like the anthem for these racing games anymore. Like hey, money is hard to get, so instead of playing the game, repeat a few particular extremely repetitive events instead.
You don't get to play, but hey, you have money while you drive back and forth through speed and drift zones.

On unlimited time it might be a different story.
It’s a good point. The same can be said about doing Goliath laps over and over for credits, surely that’s not exactly fun either since it’s the same track on repeat. Yet still people do it a lot and they want to know “what the best car is” (note: that’s not the most fun car they ask for). Personally I find Forzathon live more fun than Goliath but that’s because I can just goof around doing my skillchains, and I get to see some other players as well without having to do any effort of looking for a group.

In this day and age where progression and unlocking items seems to be big, you can indeed start to wonder if people play the game for fun, or just for the progression part? Take FPS multiplayer for example. Back in the days of Unreal Tournament then all weapons would be available at any given time,. Fast forward to battlefield 5 anno 2018, you now have a career rank to grind, a class rank to grind, a weapon rank to grind and soon a seasonal tides of war live service rank to grind. That is 4 times the grind. People applaud Battlefield V for its better progression over Battlefield 1 since it “has more depth and feels more rewarding”. But the core fun should just be playing the game, not unlocking stuff.

Forza Horizon 4 is not innocent either. There are player levels to “grind”, there are cars to grind, all the cosmetic/horns/chat lines/etc to get there are skill trees to grind per car, there are credits to grid and there are Forzathon points to grind. Also here the core fun should just be racing, not unlocking stuff. But that just happens to be where the gaming industry’s is heading.

But to come back to your question, a Forzathon is typically 5-15 minutes every hour. In between Forzathons I do other stuff like... grinding all 3 stars, getting all achievements, all bonus boards, and yes also some fun stuff which is the seasonal events and tuning some cars. I do some races again as well for the fun part but thinking about it, since I play a game like FH4 as a completionist, part of the fun for me is also completing the whole game.

TIL that if a #Forzathon challenge calls for a specific car you can't use the FE version you justs spent a ton of skill points upgrading... you have to go out and buy the original version instead.

It’s a good point. The same can be said about doing Goliath laps over and over for credits, surely that’s not exactly fun either since it’s the same track on repeat. Yet still people do it a lot and they want to know “what the best car is” (note: that’s not the most fun car they ask for). Personally I find Forzathon live more fun than Goliath but that’s because I can just goof around doing my skillchains, and I get to see some other players as well without having to do any effort of looking for a group.

In this day and age where progression and unlocking items seems to be big, you can indeed start to wonder if people play the game for fun, or just for the progression part? Take FPS multiplayer for example. Back in the days of Unreal Tournament then all weapons would be available at any given time,. Fast forward to battlefield 5 anno 2018, you now have a career rank to grind, a class rank to grind, a weapon rank to grind and soon a seasonal tides of war live service rank to grind. That is 4 times the grind. People applaud Battlefield V for its better progression over Battlefield 1 since it “has more depth and feels more rewarding”. But the core fun should just be playing the game, not unlocking stuff.

Forza Horizon 4 is not innocent either. There are player levels to “grind”, there are cars to grind, all the cosmetic/horns/chat lines/etc to get there are skill trees to grind per car, there are credits to grid and there are Forzathon points to grind. Also here the core fun should just be racing, not unlocking stuff. But that just happens to be where the gaming industry’s is heading.

But to come back to your question, a Forzathon is typically 5-15 minutes every hour. In between Forzathons I do other stuff like... grinding all 3 stars, getting all achievements, all bonus boards, and yes also some fun stuff which is the seasonal events and tuning some cars. I do some races again as well for the fun part but thinking about it, since I play a game like FH4 as a completionist, part of the fun for me is also completing the whole game.
You had me at unreal tournament.

I would say it's because knowledge has spread that people get addicted easily, and you can make more money off people if they see things that they don't have.
Basically, early apps showed the world you can make a terrible game, but people will obsess over getting everything regardless, because obsession and addiction do not adhere to logic or reasoning.

I think the grinding mentality isn’t something limited to recent racing games (or even recent games in general). Ever since GT released 20 years ago now almost every Racing game (excluding PC sims) have had an aspect of grinding.

Every GT & Forza has had prize cars you have to complete specific races to get, if you check the subforums for the earlier games I’m sure there’s threads for grinding methods and the fastest ways to get the best cars.

GT3 was really bad for this as you had to grind the same races over and over for credits and event repeat 10 or even 20 Race Championships to get certain cars. GT4 has B-Spec grinding where you don’t even have to play the game

Forza 2 was pretty bad as well as you needed to get a good bit into the career before you could own any race car. Best cars you could buy from the start were the likes of the Corvette Z06, NSX Type R and 911 Turbo, pretty much every S and R Class car had to be unlocked through races

Personally I feel like FH4 is pretty good in that regard. Just 1 lap of Goliath nets 120k and takes 15 minutes in a good S1 car (even better if you create a good high Speed Alternative) and that’s not even taking level ups and wheelspins into account, plus no cars are exclusively locked to grinding specific races.

Last edited:
I think the grinding mentality isn’t something limited to recent racing games (or even recent games in general). Ever since GT released 20 years ago now almost every Racing game (excluding PC sims) have had an aspect of grinding.

Not only that, but lets be honest: if we didn't have anything to shoot for, then what would be the point of playing through Horizon? So yeah, I don't think the grinding elements are that bad, certainly they are much more user friendly then some recent egregious examples.

TIL that if a #Forzathon challenge calls for a specific car you can't use the FE version you justs spent a ton of skill points upgrading... you have to go out and buy the original version instead.
I thought about it and I'm not sure I can be arsed to buy another Caterham. Guess I'm going to forgo the #Forzathon points this season.

Not only that, but lets be honest: if we didn't have anything to shoot for, then what would be the point of playing through Horizon? So yeah, I don't think the grinding elements are that bad, certainly they are much more user friendly then some recent egregious examples.
I'd be perfectly comfortable to aim for forzathons and enjoying different cars. As it is, the races have a bitter aftertaste of having to do it and repeat it, instead of just wanting to enjoy a bit of racing. FH3, I stopped enjoying long ago and still have not unlocked all the cars. I'm not against a little bit of grinding, if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the amount of grinding in today's games is way too much.

Back