SR is ruining this game for me

• Thread starter HGHTCH
  • 11 comments
Canada
ontario, canada
otakunorth
The last 3 weeks of daily race B have taken me from a B/S ranking to a C/D. I do everything I can to avoid contact, I don't overtake on turns, I slow down early, move to let others pass, get off the race line when I'm slow. But I still get 1-3 contact penalties every race, often from getting punted off the track, I forfeit lap times on the majority of my races just trying to stay clean and yet they still somehow get ruined by dirty drivers who are content with their ranking, it's infuriating and really ruining this game for me. Sport mode is the only fun to be had, and I had hoped to be in GT1 for the upcoming cup, now I'll be lucky in be in GT2 :/

Last edited:
I'll be frank with you, slowing early, letting cars past, trying to stay clean, that's arguably where you're going wrong. People who are racing aren't going to expect someone to slow down early or move over to let them past. I come across this occasionally and it's just as frustrating for the person who goes for the overtake only to find a slow car "trying" to get out of the way.

Your races aren't always being ruined by dirty drivers, they may well do occasionally, but that's true for literally everyone who is racing. Your races are being ruined because you're worrying too much about trying not to hit anyone and ending up just getting tripped over, potentially ruining someone else's clean race.

Take the shackles off, go racing, you'll probably find you'll end up improving your SR again.

You made a lot of assumptions, I've adjusted my driving to do those things to avoid penalties. I guess I should have elaborated more, but as I said the penalties are from others making contact with me, I'm not being a pushover, I'm getting rammed by people who know how to game the system.
IE. If I'm catching up to someone before a braking zone, I will break early not to hit them but they will break extra hard often to a stop so I will get 3-5 sec penalty and they don't have to worry about me, today someone, went off wide with e in order to force contact. Others will ram me when I go wide from the inside, also giving me a penalty. The system is jank AF they know how to game it

Last edited:
So of course, after I get knocked down to DR C and immediately win every race and am back to B/B
I wish we had a system that actually punished dirty drivers, and not just tried to guess and get it wrong half the time

If I've read right, I believe you may have misunderstood the point Magpie was trying to make a little. It's that the overthinking you end up doing changes your driving into an unnatural state to what you would normally do, which will in turn cost you more DR as well and make climbing back up harder.

Whenever I've lost an SR rank or two, I've found the most efficient way to bring it back up is to run at the back in a race I haven't set a qualifying time in, that way all lap 1 drama is avoided, and if I'm lucky, I may end up being able to pick my way through the field decently to not take a DR hit. This only really works if you don't regularly do all three races weekly of course though.

If you really like the B races though (I usually do too) and you find the same people causing the same problems often, taking a break for a race cycle or two will usually shuffle them out of the same split I've noticed. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Monza is notorious for losing SR. Here's an old chart with combos to avoid if you value your SR
MMZf11l.jpg
All the races marked in red, on average lost SR to anyone that dared enter.

How much SR you can earn depends on the length of the race and usually there is very little to gain at race A and race B. On race C it only took me 4 races to go from SR E to SR S at Mount Panorama. Race C is where the SR gains are, usually 3 to 5 times as much SR to gain there compared to race A and B.

To avoid penalties, always brake out of slipstream. Position your car to the side of their car usually makes them brake later as well, expecting a dive bomb. Double win, no dirty air to weaken your braking and good chance the other car goes wide. But beware of people swerving in the braking zone to block catch you. Always have an out, better a track limit or wall penalty, which don't cost SR, over a contact penalty.

Race C is chaos this week. Yet if you don't qualify, start at the back and let the mayhem proceed out in front, you will still pick up places from quitters, penalty servers and people crashing.

Great advice here and I agree. 1.) stay away from Monza. 2.) don't set a qualifying lap and start at the back. I don't know if your SR goes up even if you're near the back but making up positions, but I've found that's the best way to race on the tracks with assholes.

It's always other peoples fault with these things. There was a time in GTS where the penalty system was so bad that you could be reset with it not 100% being your fault, but even that took a few races of very bad luck. I've never been reset with it not being maybe 70-80% my fault. Use your head man and play the system.

I would say, Stop over thinking it.
Just drive like you normally would.
Use the radar on the MFD, if their is a car next to you, give them room, if you're approaching a corner and close to the ass of the guy in front, move aside incase they brake earlier.
Memorize the track and if you do go off, pay attention to how you get back on track.

Most contacts are not deliberate and to go online racing with confidence and enjoyment you must first accept it's a contact sport, regardless of what the etiquette videos might try to tell us.

This is for all racing games.

Most players , even good racers, aren't in full control of their cars at all times it's just that simple.

You made a lot of assumptions, I've adjusted my driving to do those things to avoid penalties. I guess I should have elaborated more, but as I said the penalties are from others making contact with me, I'm not being a pushover, I'm getting rammed by people who know how to game the system.
IE. If I'm catching up to someone before a braking zone, I will break early not to hit them but they will break extra hard often to a stop so I will get 3-5 sec penalty and they don't have to worry about me, today someone, went off wide with e in order to force contact. Others will ram me when I go wide from the inside, also giving me a penalty. The system is jank AF they know how to game it

If you reread your first post it sounds like you're being a push over, not overtaking in turns, moving to let others pass, slowing early, all those things invite unnecessary contact. Yes the penalty system is rubbish, but you're not helping yourself. If people are slowing to a stop or inviting contact, stop trying to go wide and let then past, race your race, don't gift them the chance. If you were in B/S then you're clearly not a slow driver, dropping to C/D implies there's not only been 'some' contact, but consistent unnecessary contact AND slow driving.

Seriously, stop overthinking it, overthinking it will just ruin your enjoyment, and clearly already is.

The last 3 weeks of daily race B have taken me from a B/S ranking to a C/D. I do everything I can to avoid contact, I don't overtake on turns, I slow down early, move to let others pass, get off the race line when I'm slow. But I still get 1-3 contact penalties every race, often from getting punted off the track, I forfeit lap times on the majority of my races just trying to stay clean and yet they still somehow get ruined by dirty drivers who are content with their ranking, it's infuriating and really ruining this game for me. Sport mode is the only fun to be had, and I had hoped to be in GT1 for the upcoming cup, now I'll be lucky in be in GT2 :/
No as C DR you'll be down in GT3 with the rest of us wallowing wanderers

Back