SS Route 11 - Enduro - The Write-up

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 25 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
Special Stage Route 11 – Endurance race - The write-up

I ran the Pagani Zonda Race car. The car was stock with some slight tweaking of the settings, and with Medium tires. After a three qualifying laps, I landed the pole with a 1’51.151, 2.347 seconds ahead of the GT-one Race car. Figuring that I would need to stop every 4 laps for a tire change, I was unsure of securing a win. To know more, I’d have to determine the pit schedule of the competitors, and the time each pit would take. I can guess that my average lap would be about 1’50.000 seconds, knowing that I had a few incidents with walls and AI on my qualifier.

But, I’m not going to waste time with any more qualifying and testing, just going to set the Pagani Racer up with Super slicks and race it, settings as they are.

Settings:
Spring Rate: 16.4/14.8
Ride Height: 55/55
Shock Bound/Rebound: 5/6 7/8
Camber: 3.5/1.7
Toe: 0.0/ -1.0
Stabilizers: 5/5
Brakes: 19/16
LSD: 10/18/16
Auto Set gearing: Level 37
Final Drive: 4.300
Down force: 1.00/1.25
ASM = 0; TCS = 0

Pit schedule:
Me: 17 and 35
GT-One Race Car: every 8 laps
Viper Team Oreca: every 6 laps
Zonda Race car: every 5 laps
GT40 Race Car: laps 23 and 46
XJ 220: 23 and 46

Results:
GT-One Race Car: + 1’32.675
Zonda Race car: + 1 lap
Viper Team Oreca: + 1 lap
GT40 Race car: + 2 laps
XJ 220: + 3 laps

Best lap: 1’50.564
Total Time: 96’34.957
Average lap: 1’55.899

Thoughts:
I gained the lead at the end of the 8th lap when the GT-One pitted. I could tell he was preparing to, as I took 6 seconds off his lead in that one lap. The GT-one and I were very similar in set-up, keeping very close lap times. I was faster through the back section, he was faster on the front (straighter) section.

I hit lap traffic on lap 16, when I caught up to the XJ220, he went back on the lead lap, when I pitted on lap 17, only to have me catch and pass him on lap 19. I lapped the GT40 on lap 24. The Viper went a lap down on lap 27, and within seconds, the XJ220 was there for me to lap a second time. The Pagani Zonda Race car went one lap down, and the GT40 went a second lap down on lap 42. Lap 43 the XJ220 went one more lap down. As a final note, I blew the very last corner, and added 12 seconds to my time.

After racing this far, I’m under the impression that different tire types hold different traction levels at the same heat. i.e. When my Super softs are warmed up, they offer far more traction than when my Super slicks are warmed up.

Note of inconsequence: Replay Save complete Lap 35

So I net 500,000cr and the APEX MR-S SuperAutoBacs.

A brief write-up for me...

AO

I'm dreading this race more than anything. I despise that track.

I love hitting the apex right on on that second turn :) but thats all i like can someone tell me how many laps this race is? thanks :)

There are a few turns and sections on this race that I really enjoy. Once you've got braking points figured out, they're great turns. But overall, I rank this one only slightly higher than my feelings towards Seattle.

If I recall correctly, The race is a total of 50 laps.

AO

Wow man, I would have never used the Zonda Race Car for this track. Those things ride like a big sled and a tight, twisty track in that car would have been torture for me. I really enjoy running this track, but only in the right car for the job... so naturally I ran the enduro with an F090/S. I know...

To add a note, Dolbytone, have you tried the Pagani Zonda Race car?

The Zonda C12 and C12s both are notorious for being bad cornering machines, but the Race car is considerably better. In fact it drives like a completely different car. I would rate it as being comparable to the Nissan R390 race car.

Although it does become oversteer happy when you throw al the HP mods at it.

I ran it in stock form, with only an oil change and Super slicks.

AO

I will be using the R390 GT1 Race Car. Does anyone see anything wrong with that? I think I will secure the win with that car and maybe T3's?

Tell me what you think.....

In another recent race (see new write-up) I ran the Pagani Zonda Race car against the R390 in ten laps, and didn't have much of a problem. If you attempt this race in the R390, you shouldn't. My margin of win was 4+ seconds over the R390, who was 11 1/2 seconds up on the GT-One.

So, running stock (With the oil change) on T3's you'll run about a 10 lap pit strategy, and take the win. Smooth and clean are the two important keys in this track.

Good luck, and If you're inclined, add your write-up to this one.

AO

For a while when running a championship I would always skip R11, I hated that track, I could never memorize the turns and it just didn't work. Well after completing the r11 enduro I have a new respect for this map, it really develops higher end skill.

Originally posted by neon_duke
I'm dreading this race more than anything. I despise that track.

when i first saw that it was back in the game i thought the same thing, but after doing a few races there i realised that they cleaned up the track a lot.

i quite enjoy the track now.

hey der alta.. isn't it kinda obvious that super softs will have more grip @ the same temperature than Super slicks @ the same temperature?
cuz one is soft and one is slick, or, soft and hard
the soft one will grip alot more because it has more surface area than the hard one, but it will wear out alot faster since there more friction on it...

oops.. i think i went ot.... heh..

Yes, but the Endurance race when done with a car that has basically the same stats as the other it is.

the soft one will grip alot more because it has more surface area than the hard one, but it will wear out alot faster since there more friction on it...

Softer tires don’t have more “surface area” they are a softer compound. Like rubbing a hockey puck versus a pencil eraser on the ground, both are rubber but the harder one slides easier. So yes they grip more and wear out much faster at any temp. The rubber on soft tires literally rolls off of the tire.

ack ...... no not what i meant..'
when something is soft, it tends to "sag" down more, hence, the more surface area...
why you think hummers can deflate their fires hm!!! hm!?!?! to get more surface area.. :P

Actually, though, that's only true on drag race rubber. Typically draggers run their tires with minimal inflation - 15 to 25 psi - because heat buildup isn't a problem in a 12-second 1/4 mile run.

That doesn't work in a 30 minute Showroom Stock road race, though. R-compound racing tires are very soft in comparison to street tires. Ultimate tread life on a set of R1s is <3000 miles, and their useful life as a competitive tire is measured in double or maybe triple digits.

But they don't 'sag' at all, because they are typically inflated to 40-50 psi in order to keep the sidewalls stiff. They don't 'gain surface area' for traction in that way, because heat buildup would kill the tire inside a few laps.

So VdrSain is correct in this instance.

aw... :( lol
But its good to know more.. :D

and after that lesson, i'm guessing now that the Super Softs grip because theyre soft?
Because the only reason that i think something can grip more is surface area.... :confused:

Yep, and tire pressure is very criticle in road racing. They actually use whats called a pyrometer to measure the heat of the tread after hot laps. They measure the outside edges and the center. High outside temps = to low pressure, higher center = to high pressure, so they look for nice even temps across the tread surface and keep meticulous records. Pressure is measured to the tenth of a PSI.

Hm... Special Stage 11... I like that track nowadays. I didn't in the past because I didn't like long tracks. Actually it's just difficult enough to drive. Tight corners, only few fast corners etc.

Think of two pencil erasers. One is a nice fresh soft one that you just bought. The other is an old hard one that's been in the back of your desk all year.

Which one has more traction on the paper, and lifts the marks off better?

Back