SSR5 issues

• Thread starter 2thDr
  • 13 comments
United States
Clarksville, TN
I seem to have found a pattern in the game and am not sure whether it is my racing line and style or what. When I qualify at SSR5 I usually get first by 5-8 seconds. Then, I place 2nd or 3rd in the race pretty consistently. Anybody esle ever have this issue. Usually if I can be within 3 seconds of the 5th place qualifier it means I can win the race. I blow the pack away in qualify and can not win the race . Any suggestions or comments?

I don't remember this happening specifically in GT1, but this happens a lot in GT4. I'll blow the pack away in qualifying by anywhere from 1 to 4 seconds, but when I start racing, they're on to me like hounds chasing a rabbit. It happens not just at SSR5, but at most tracks. Probably 75% of the time I'll be tempted to lower my power, even though I know I shouldn't.

My only suggestion is you qualify normally (blow them away) but then you add power before you start the race, if you can, that is.

Last edited:
I remember this for CR5ii in the Hard-Tuned Series, specifically, but don't recall it at any SSR5 races.

AI qualifying is done by randomizing about a particular value. For the above event, someone clearly entered an inappropriately slow value in the table. (Conversely, at the other courses, the poor little Civic manages a ridiculously fast qualifying time).

Which specific SSR5 race are you talking about? Not Arcade, obviously, as it has no qualifying. I don't have online qualifying records, so can't easily check.

Do you perhaps mean SSR5ii in the 4WD Series? I remember that being a little tough. But not "lose even with 8 second superiority" tough.

How do your race times compare to your qualifying time, BTW?
Is there a particular part of the course the AI seem to beat you at?

My bad, it is the clubman not ssr5, the 3rd event in the hard-tuned series. I have numerous records of #1 qulas and 2nd or 3rd place finishes. I seem to get passed at the first sharp turn, on the skinny S stretch, and gain before the tunnel and thru the finish line, it's like the first half of the race I am being dominated and I can repass later in the lap. Just thought it was weird that I could sweep more if I could win that race. Times are comparable by the way.

My bad, it is the clubman not ssr5, the 3rd event in the hard-tuned series. I have numerous records of #1 qulas and 2nd or 3rd place finishes. I seem to get passed at the first sharp turn, on the skinny S stretch, and gain before the tunnel and thru the finish line, it's like the first half of the race I am being dominated and I can repass later in the lap. Just thought it was weird that I could sweep more if I could win that race. Times are comparable by the way.

YES! that 3rd Clubman race at the Hard Tuned series stumped me for ages. I always assumed it was because I didn't know the course very well...

Last edited:
As I say, the AI qualifying times are just plain too slow there.

Cavalier driving can help at that track. Go sideways quickly at the first corner, and let the wall, um, catch you if need be. But whatchagotter do watch the lane marker on the RHS. That warns you when the corner comes up. Turn early, aim properly, let the car drift properly, and you might not even need to touch the wall.

And the AI have problems on this course. In the final tunnel, they tend to nick the wall on exit, and lose lots of time. That's why different AI tend to do well on this course compared to other courses. Which is what causes them to trade points. Which is what allows you to sometimes win this series with less than 37 points.

I remember finding this particular race (Tuned/CR5ii) difficult the first few times. And the qualifying surprise didn't help me. But later it became easier. And I didn't slide the wall all that much. Honest. I.e. eventually in most it became just about the same difficulty as the other races in the series. (Except it was good for an unearned Cr10,000 for first place qualifying).

GT1 quali is misleading sometimes, the AI times can be totally different in quali and in the race itself. So never judge how the competition's going to be just by quali results. The above race you mentioned is one such example. The AI quali times are very slow, then in the race they seem to find an instant "boost button" or something. One of the toughest race in GT1, but if you can get first place by the second corner and maintain it for 2 laps after that your chance of winning is almost 100% (if you don't make any mistakes later on that is). Because the AI is much faster at the start than near the end.

As I've said before, I found in PSX memory a table of obvious qualifying times for each series....
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-26.html

I'm reasonably sure no emulated driving is done for qualifying, and the game just randomizes some results based on the figures in the table. For example, when I used codes to race races at different courses, the AI qualifying times remained the same even if they were ludicrously fast or slow.

I'd noticed you really have to slaughter the AI in qualifying to get any sort of indication about how fast they'd be in the race. Usually if I had pole by 3-5 seconds, you had a good chance of a close race (except in the Hard-Tuned series...I needed 10+ second gaps there).

Close qualifying usually meant I'd lose the race.

I'd noticed you really have to slaughter the AI in qualifying to get any sort of indication about how fast they'd be in the race. Usually if I had pole by 3-5 seconds, you had a good chance of a close race (except in the Hard-Tuned series...I needed 10+ second gaps there).

Close qualifying usually meant I'd lose the race.
I have had the opposite problem with SSR5 on Gran Turismo 1. I suck in qualifying, usually 5 or 6 seconds of, and then slaughter the AI during the race. And it's not like I drive any differently in qualifying. I just drive as fast as I can while tying to not hit any walls. I always break late and hard aswell, and then get back on the throttle early. However, sometimes this can have my car making love to the armco barrier! :rolleyes: Still, this happens rarely!

I had raced with the '94 180SX, Impreza '95 Wagon, MR2, MA70, Evo4, TRD3000GT with very similar results. 1st in qual and 2nd or 3rd racing, until my last car thru HT series, the Galant VR4, one of my all time favorite cars, even though it is a cheat, almost like the FTO. The VR4 won in sweep fashion. So, maybe if I start racing high-end cars, like some of my previously rm'ed cars from before I started going from sunday to megaspeed. Maybe the NSX's, Skylines, etc will be able to sweep or win on SSR5 of HT. I got 2nd in my TRD, yet it just could have been a bad race or I could have spun out. We'll just have to see if that pattern holds for other cars, it could be me, the cars, whatever.

I hate it when that happens!
Its like there is a catch-up function on a driving simulator!!!

Yup, this is also a problem with recent NFS games (Underground 1 upwards, not that you can blame them, NFS isn't exactly a simulator), unrealistic catch-up function. But it makes for a closer racing, so I guess I can't really complain...

Last edited:
The problem with Clubman R5 Reverse (in the Hard-Tuned Series; it's not the full SSR5 in that series) is that the time for that track in the internal table of qualifying times is too slow. So you can easily qualify first, but, since the AI times are essentially just randomized around the table time, when they really drive in the race, they go a lot faster than their qualifying times would suggest. (Except for the Civic).

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-26.html

Latest Posts

Back