standard vs professional physics?

Hello again,

I searched here and there and I couldn't find any information about what is actually different between these two modes. Are there any specific things that make them differ or is it just 'less realistic, easier' vs 'more realistic'?

I've seen that some people find professional physics easier. Why is that?

Thanks for your time answering this..

when i first started playing i used the default standard physics. i remember a lot more understeer. the transition from standard to pro was not all that difficult though. i much prefer a hint of oversteer rather than a ton of understeer.

The "standard" driving physics, is the same driving physics that was in GT3 and GT4. Due to the augmented processing poweer of the PS3's cell processor, Polyphony was able to introduce more physics calculation wihtout sacrificing the gameplay. The cell processor can deal with that more intense calculation, and still deliver on other thnings.

Professional physics actually gives a more "realistic" handleing of the car.

I'm pretty sure they left the "standard" physics as a choice to ease in the transition fro players who were use to it for almost 10 years (GT3 - GT4)

Professional physics is not "easier" than standard.. but it's more strict. ei: "In standard physics, you can take the #3 turn at Fuji at really high speed in a 4WD car, while keeping your foot on the gas... in professional... you can't do that" The force at witch you are intering the turn and the side force that the car is being sujected to will push the car off coruse (or even roll over)...

Try it in the GTR 34 -34, Audi, Evo etc...

To put it bluntly, professional makes sense. Cars drive more like one [who is experienced with real driving] would expect. Standard is pretty much a Need for Speed engine built into GT, it's like playing a different game.

As for what separates the two, I've barely played stnd, but from what I recall it seems as though the tires have traction squares instead of traction circles. In other words, they can use 100% traction in every direction, allowing one to do things like flooring a car through a corner in 1st gear. Cars also seemed to resist spinning out (which had me swerving all over as I anticipated the need to countersteer a bit at times).

It's not two different physics engines, the standard is still making a lot of accurate calculations but there are modifyers put in place so your tyres for example suddenly produce a certain % more grip. It's not the same physics engine as GT3 and GT4, that would be difficult anyway because GT4's wasn't the same engine as GT3's. It's still GT5:P's core physics engine, but as I said it's just running with modifyers to make it easier.

I didn't mean it literally. I was just pointing out that it acts very differently; different enough for me to consider it almost unrelated. I don't think you can apply lessons learned from one in the other.

I couldn't explain to you exactly what the differences are but I do know that I can set a faster time in standard than professional but I get more enjoyment from setting a clean lap in professional.

I'm certainly one of those people, and the main reason is the car's desire towards understeer which was also mentioned above at different points.

To further clarify, while it's not usually said this way, inducing oversteer (sliding the back wheels) in my virtual car corrects a whole raft of sins/errors/flaws in my driving style and gives me a lot more options for lines through corners. It's especially handy when I've missed my braking point by a bit and don't want to roll through the weeds for the next 10 seconds. Or in emergency situations where I need to pick a new line halfway through the corner

also, I recall the steering wheel's feedback system being a lot less delicate in standard mode. Meaning it was trying a lot harder to rip my arms off. it was capital sin that pro physics weren't allowed online in prologue from the start. it meant my wheel got to sit in the box for longer than it should have.

I'm not sure anybody could tell you the 'exact' differences between the two modes, as Polyphony Digital doesn't often mention how any of their physics work. Most of what we have to go on is what we've observed.

Last edited:
Back