Standing Starts (high powered cars, specifically Gr. 3)

• Thread starter barkohba
  • 4 comments
barkohba
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone cares to share advice about standing starts with Gr 3/4 cars, as some races, especially top 24 ones, have them.

I managet to get the best standing start WITH TC (set on 1) by keeping the throttle down untill 75% of the rpm indicator is filled, and then flooring it when the race starts, but I'm yet to manage a good standing start with TC off.

Best I managed is by keeping the throttle at 25% and modulating it, but it wasn't ideal - I know i've seen quite a few people online, especially in some youtube videos of top 24 stars races, doing them very well with 0 TC, but I've got no idea how.

Depends on, well.... about everything (car, BoP, tyres, tyre wear, track, etc). There's no secret, practice standing starts in a lobby before the race, until you find a procedure that is both effective and easy enough for you to repeat.

Also, since TC is available in FIA races, you can just as well, put TC 1 for the start and get it back to 0 right after.

Also, take a close look at the torque and power curves and your gearbox ratios. It gives hints to what to do and more important, what to not do on standing start.

I have found it effective to hold just enough throttle to sit under the red line without hitting the limiter before launch, Then as you launch lift off to about 25% throttle and practice a slow squeeze on throttle that doesnt overwhelm your grip. I tend to watch my tire indicators and lift off the throttle a bit if i see them starting to light up.

Back