Star Wars: Civil War

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 19 comments
United States
California
Sk8er913
8 days ago I began development of a dogfighting simulator. I am planning on a development release this weekend for a public test and it may have some online features. Would anyone like to join me?

Here's how it looked 2 days into development:

Heres 4 days:

If you want to see 10, you can join me in an online battle on Sunday or Monday. :)

I don't know anything about making games, but if you did that yourself then well done.

Be prepared for Disney to come barging down your door with cease and desist notices.
I emailed them about licensing stuff, they haven't replied yet...

Edit: well it is thanksgiving week, maybe they all took a week off. :lol:

Last edited:
MAJOR UPDATE: Online play is confirmed working! ...Why did it take PD 3 years to figure out online lobbies?

Because consoles are harder to code for than PCs.
In some respects, in this case with centralized services in Xbox Live and PSN though I can't imagine it is nearly as hard for a 1st party developer to come up with a solution that worked.

In some respects, in this case with centralized services in Xbox Live and PSN though I can't imagine it is nearly as hard for a 1st party developer to come up with a solution that worked.
Without betas and stress tests, it's impossible to know if the network services for a game are going to function properly. That's not possible unless you let users all over the world test the servers. That was the issue with GT5 and GT6. The way the online was handled wasn't the same in both games and it shows. 5 ran better than 6, but they were both severely flawed in their own ways that made it near impossible to play online for people in many situations.

Try servicing several million users from all over the world at once, without lag, then try again. Scale is what makes this difficult. You're comparing a bicycle to an Airbus 380.
That was a joke... and btw it doesn't matter how many users you have, it works the same way the only difference is that you need a faster server, which Im sure sony provided for them. ^

Because consoles are harder to code for than PCs.

What if I told you the code for an iphone, android, mac, PS3, PS4, 360 and Xb1 were all almost exactly the same? O.o

That was a joke... and btw it doesn't matter how many users you have, it works the same way the only difference is that you need a faster server, which Im sure sony provided for them. ^

What if I told you the code for an iphone, android, mac, PS3, PS4, 360 and Xb1 were all almost exactly the same? O.o
Then I'd believe you're very inexperienced at what you're doing to make general statements like that.

Then I'd believe you're very inexperienced at what you're doing to make general statements like that.
But its all the same programming languages. Only the toolsets are different. And usually they are similar too. I could build this project on to any device and it would work.

But its all the same programming languages. Only the toolsets are different. And usually they are similar too. I could build this project on to any device and it would work.

Because you're using Unity or some other cross-platform engine, right? There is practically no similarity between a PS3's Cell, PS4/Xbox One/PC/Mac's x86 and the IPhone/Android ARM architectures - some are von Neumann, some Harvard, some a bit of both. The instruction sets are different, they use different RAMs, different internal structures... And that's just the hardware differences. That you can compile a high level language into assembly or machine code that any of the platforms you mentioned can run is purely a result of Unity (or whatever other multiplatform engine you're using) supporting those platforms as an interpreter and the fact that it doesn't rely on proprietary APIs like DirectX (because if it did there's no way you'd be able to run it natively on Mac OS, for instance). If you wrote your program for PC in a low level language there's no chance it would run on a PS3.

I mean, any IDE where you code in, say, C, Python, Perl or other high-level languages (i.e. programming languages that are human-friendly but nonsense when entered directly as machine code) has to translate what you've written into something the machine can understand, which at the lowest possible level is literally a long string of binary. That means if you write a program in C then compile or interpret it for x86 and Power (which is what the PS3 uses), the machine code you get out will be different and not cross-compatible.

That said, congratulations on making your own game, how long did it take and how hard has it been? Did you have any prior software experience? What was your process? I'm interested in developing my own game because I've had an idea in mind for a few years now and I think I want to try and make something for myself.

Last edited:
Because you're using Unity or some other cross-platform engine, right? There is practically no similarity between a PS3's Cell, PS4/Xbox One/PC/Mac's x86 and the IPhone/Android ARM architectures - some are von Neumann, some Harvard, some a bit of both. The instruction sets are different, they use different RAMs, different internal structures... And that's just the hardware differences. That you can compile a high level language into assembly or machine code that any of the platforms you mentioned can run is purely a result of Unity (or whatever other multiplatform engine you're using) supporting those platforms as an interpreter and the fact that it doesn't rely on proprietary APIs like DirectX (because if it did there's no way you'd be able to run it natively on Mac OS, for instance). If you wrote your program for PC in a low level language there's no chance it would run on a PS3.

I mean, any IDE where you code in, say, C, Python, Perl or other high-level languages (i.e. programming languages that are human-friendly but nonsense when entered directly as machine code) has to translate what you've written into something the machine can understand, which at the lowest possible level is literally a long string of binary. That means if you write a program in C then compile or interpret it for x86 and Power (which is what the PS3 uses), the machine code you get out will be different and not cross-compatible.

That said, congratulations on making your own game, how long did it take and how hard has it been? Did you have any prior software experience? What was your process? I'm interested in developing my own game because I've had an idea in mind for a few years now and I think I want to try and make something for myself.
I still have a lot of things to fix. Mostly network related at the moment, ive only been working on it for a week and a half. I estimate it will take about 2 or 3 months at the rate that I'm currently at. And yeah, you are right about the programming things you said. I'm never going to be good at programming. It takes too much patience. :P

Welp... Disney said that a space combat simulator "Wasn't Star Wars enough." So looks like I'm going to have to drop the Star Wars name.

Welp... Disney said that a space combat simulator "Wasn't Star Wars enough." So looks like I'm going to have to drop the Star Wars name.
In other words, you are not a big enough company to give the rights to make this kind of game. It's a shame but not a surprise. That said. Keep at the game man. Space sims are on the up tick at the moment. You could grab light on steam pretty quick if you make a quality game.

In other words, you are not a big enough company to give the rights to make this kind of game. It's a shame but not a surprise. That said. Keep at the game man. Space sims are on the up tick at the moment. You could grab light on steam pretty quick if you make a quality game.
I have got a reply from the musician from the short film tie fighter short and he has agreed to adding the song from the tie fighter short film as well as possibly making something new.

This is my theme song now, great film too if you haven't seen it yet.

Here is the current state of the game.

Last edited:
Back