Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by MagpieRacer, Nov 16, 2019.

1. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

A9C3DA25-A088-4A4E-840F-254D18A9827E.jpeg

Launch trailer:

Kind of surprised there is no thread for this game. Launched yesterday, proper story based, 3rd person Star Wars adventure. Played over 3 hours last night and it is astonishingly good. From the visuals to the dynamics, the story down to the lightsaber customisations.

Plays like a cross between Uncharted/Tomb Raider and Dark Souls with a bit of Mass Effect sprinkled in.

Anyone else playing?

PzR Slim likes this.
  2. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Feared for it after hearing about a review embargo until after release but reviews are very positive.

3. MXH

MXH Premium

The general reception among gamers seems to be positive as well. I've been longing for a story driven, single-player Star Wars game with larger maps to explore for ages so this is a really nice surprise. I pretty much wrote it off after the E3 presentation but I can't really remember why though.

However, the performance on the XB1S is pretty pathetic (DF has a analysis videon on YouTube) and I fear for the PS4 as well. I'm waiting for the latter before hitting the purchase button. Anyone playing this on standard consoles?

4. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

This is the first full priced game I have bought in ages. Really enjoying it, even though I'm playing on the easiest difficulty because I'm a terrible button masher with games like this. :lol:

I will say I'm not a fan of the save system though. Found myself having to redo whole sections after dying in battle because I hadn't seen a save point for a while. Why can't we just pause and save anymore?

5. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Because Dark Souls

6. Flex0r

Flex0r Premium

I had the same experience, first played it on "normal" difficulty, but died a lot.
    Never played the souls games, so my parry timing isn't honed at all and that does not really help.
    Usually I mash the attack button repeatedly, but in this game not really all that helpful.

As the dying a lot started to become a bit frustrating and I only have limited time in the evening to play, I'd like it to be a fun/relaxing experience.
    So yesterday, I set the difficulty back a notch and had a nice session making quite a bit more progress than previous play sessions.

And it helps a lot that you do not lose health when you miss a rope or pipe you where supposed to grab or jump on.
    Might be that I was a bit tired yesterday, but plummeted into the abyss about 15 times or more during a icy slope decent with a rope and a few jumps in between.

Overall I like the game, nice set pieces and Star Wars atmosphere.

The Storm Trooper AI is pretty faithful to the franchise.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    MagpieRacer likes this.
  7. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

I just adore this game more and more, the more I play it. I agree with the combat but like others here I have never played a souls game or anything with that style combat so my parrying, particularly against the slightly more advanced troopers, was terrible. So I have also backed it off a touch and now it has a bit of an assassins creed feel to the combat with the slightly wider parry window.

It just delivers so much more than I ever expected it to. The exploration, the new lore and things you can find, creatures etc. It’s just awesome and really puts you in the universe. I also really like how it doesn’t make everything obvious when your doing the puzzles and then exploring. You actually have to think a bit about what you’re doing and how to approach things. I just absolutely adore this game.

SPhilli911 likes this.
  8. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

I agree with the above, I adore the game, too.

I am not a Star Wars fan (I like it, but I am not as into it as others tend to be) so this game was not on my radar at all. But I watched a review for the hell of it and was immediately interested. Games with a good sense of atmosphere, puzzles, exportation and platforming with a good combat system are my kinda games. Sprinkle in some interesting characters, great voice acting and gorgeous graphics, you got it all. I am really impressed. Figured the game was just a hack and slash, which would not interest me, but it isn’t.

In other words, I more into this game than I would have expected. Combat was tricky at first, but once you get the controls down, block often and don’t go in just swinging you’ll do fine. Shame there isn’t a photomode.

MagpieRacer likes this.
  9. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Picked this up the other day.

I'm a big Star Wars fan so I was keen to see what it offered in terms of new canon... It's fine in this respect, though I've got to say, I'm a little bored of the game play already.. it seems quite repetitive. Might just switch it to story mode and get through it as fast as possible. I don't often play games of this style, so perhaps I'm missing something.