Started playing yesterday and have a few Q’s, please?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Dusted off the old PS4 Pro over the weekend, and decided to give GTS a try, having been on a bit of a mission this year to just play the hell out of the entire GT series.

First question is about the in game credits - so I’m still obviously in the beginner league, working my way through the Sunday Cup and FF Challenge. I won the same race twice (it was an unfamiliar track that i quite enjoyed so felt like doing it again in a different car), but I seemed to only win any credits the first time unless I’m somehow mistaken? It was one of the Sunday Cup races. Is that how it is throughout the single player campaign? You only win credits the first time you win, therefore meaning that there’s a limit to the amount of prize money you can win in SP mode?

I noticed that there’s an option to buy cars from the showrooms with real money as well as with in game credits. So if the answer to my previous question is ‘yes’ (you can’t earn money by repeatedly winning races against the AI) - isn’t that a bit bloody scandalous?

Next question is about the online Daily Races. When i looked at this, none of the cars in my garage were eligible for the 3 events that were available. Fair enough I’ve only just started playing, i’m sure once I’ve built up a bit of a collection in a week or so i’ll be able to enter something. However i looked at the calendar for the next few days and it was empty? Are Daily Races not actually daily, or is the calendar feature just broken?

Finally about the AI - I was most recently playing GT6, obviously the AI in that game are so slow it’s kinda hilarious. GTS seems to be an improvement in that regard, but how does it work? Are they rubber banding? I seem to be able to get from the back up to the front quickly enough (in typical GT fashion lol), but as soon as I’m in a podium place the leading few AI cars seem to sharpen right up - a lot faster and better at cornering all of a sudden and they even get quite aggressive and not very sportsman-like, ramming me from behind and the sides. Although I also seem to have noticed they don’t seem to go through this change in every race, only 80 or 90% of the time? Or am i just imagining all of this?

All in all a fun game so far though don’t get me wrong!

Thanks!

1. Yes, in the GT League you only earn money the first time you do an event. However, this doesn’t apply to the Driving School, Circuit Experiences and Mission Challenges.
2. You can turn that off in the settings
3. The calendar is for the GT World Series, not Daily Races. Also, because GT7 is now the main game and not many people are playing GTS anymore, Daily Races are actually monthly now
4. Yeah the AI is pretty dumb. I found most of the time they were painfully slow, but I’ve never noticed any rubber banding

Hey thanks for the reply. That’s cool, the driving school may be a pretty good way for making quick easy money in that case, then. Good to know. Although probably would get pretty boring pretty quick grinding like that.

I might use this thread as a bit of a progress blog, I dunno. Although GTS isn’t the biggest GT game in terms of car count (I do actually miss the obscure Japanese tuners and what have you), I think I’m having a lot more fun with this one than GT5 & 6 so far.

I did my first online races today, that was cool. Spinning Toyota Tundras around Mount Panorama. Not a car (truck) that’s my kinda style, but at least the game lent me one for the event so I didn’t have to buy one to enter. I think there were only a few of the other players taking it seriously, and I kinda got stuck behind two idiots trying to knock each other off the track for a while, and kept trying to attack me when I was attempting to get by. Not the easiest track to overtake on at the best of times which didn’t help. Still came 4th though in the end. First and second place were waaay ahead though.

Then I won a McLaren gr.4 car as a daily workout prize a bit later so I was able to enter it in that race, that was really eye opening at how fast other players were so didn’t do very well there. However it was literally the first time I was driving the car and I didn’t know the track either, in my defence, and still placed like 10th out of 17 I think.

Also completed the beginner driving school events, and won a Ferrari F50 (nice!). But in white though. However I did Google the HSV code for Rosso Corsa and repainted it. Don’t know for sure how accurate it is, but it looks good enough for me.

All in all, a good day and a great game so far. Still haven’t finished the Sunday Cup or FF challenge yet though! I’ll get back on with them tomorrow I suppose.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have more questions if anyone is still reading at this point - I was unable to use the H shifter on my Logitech for the online racing, only the paddles. Does anyone know how come? Is that the same for all online races? And does this ‘rule’ (or whatever) carry over to GT7’s online racing? That was partly to blame for me not doing better, having to switch how I like to drive, I kept getting confused from force of habit and messing up my gear changes!

Last edited:
Sport mode is a mess nowdays. There are no contact penalties anymore so dirty driving is common and without consequences, you will get rammed off the track frequently. From my experience it's mostly idiots who just want to ruin the race for everyone or unskilled trophy hunters who are desperate for wins at any cost.

Frustrating at first, but if you decide to stick with playing online regularly you will learn to recognize and deal with those players, it can be quite satisfying. It's a good idea to really learn the track and set a good qualifying time so you have more space to get away from the rammers.

However, you will at times also get rooms where most people drive clean, and races are intense and fun. This is where GTS truly shines and if you're really into proper racing the single player doesn't even compare (obviously). An intense 5 lap battle for 4th place against a good player is far more rewarding than any victory against braindead AI could ever be.

Now, AI is not as insulting as GT6 (as you noticed) but not much better either. The actual on-track experience in single player has been pretty much useless in GT since GT4 IMO due to uncompetitive AI. I wonder if you'll find it more or less enjoyable compared to the multiplayer.

Back