Started to get knee pain on left leg with hard brake pedal

• Thread starter TheNormsk
  • 6 comments

TheNormsk

Premium
United States
Wisconsin
BritGuyInUSA
I have started to develop knee pain in my left leg and I believe this is related to pedal position and having recently increase the strength of my brake pedal. I'm looking for some advise on how I may change my pedal positions to alleviate this.

Some context:

I started out of this "sim" journey in December last year and quickly got a Playseat Challenge and Logitech G29 wheel/pedals. That I updated to a load cell but the pedals are in a fixed position and I never had any issues.

In July, I got the Fanatec DD GT Pro and the CSL Elite V2 pedals. I do not use the clutch and due to the way the Playseat "holds" pedals to get these to work I move each pedal to be over the frame of the Playseat to allow mounting. This felt weird at first but I soon got used to it and figured that both my left and right feet are now in similar (balanced) positions as opposed to my left leg constantly being in the center of the pedal box.

I did feel some initial knew twinges in hindsight but nothing to really be concerned about at the time. Then a couple weeks ago I changed out the elastomer stack on the brake to be S1 spring, 65/75/85 shore elastomers. This requires more force to achieve 100% braking. I like the additional control it gives me but since then I've noticed the knee pain increase with more sustained braking efforts. It is particularly apparent in the daily C races which are longer.

I've recently been strengthening my Playseat by bolting it to a board and I intended to build an angled pedal box so I can straighten my pedals. I'm hoping that'll give me more control and eliminate my knee pain (by being a better angle and also allowing me to place the brake in a different position).

IMG_7384.jpeg

The question is, what should I be looking for in leg position so as not to hurt my knees on longer racing sessions? Should I move the pedal more to the center again so it is not so outboard as that is what I am used to?

Thoughts?

I have started to develop knee pain in my left leg and I believe this is related to pedal position and having recently increase the strength of my brake pedal. I'm looking for some advise on how I may change my pedal positions to alleviate this.

Some context:

I started out of this "sim" journey in December last year and quickly got a Playseat Challenge and Logitech G29 wheel/pedals. That I updated to a load cell but the pedals are in a fixed position and I never had any issues.

In July, I got the Fanatec DD GT Pro and the CSL Elite V2 pedals. I do not use the clutch and due to the way the Playseat "holds" pedals to get these to work I move each pedal to be over the frame of the Playseat to allow mounting. This felt weird at first but I soon got used to it and figured that both my left and right feet are now in similar (balanced) positions as opposed to my left leg constantly being in the center of the pedal box.

I did feel some initial knew twinges in hindsight but nothing to really be concerned about at the time. Then a couple weeks ago I changed out the elastomer stack on the brake to be S1 spring, 65/75/85 shore elastomers. This requires more force to achieve 100% braking. I like the additional control it gives me but since then I've noticed the knee pain increase with more sustained braking efforts. It is particularly apparent in the daily C races which are longer.

I've recently been strengthening my Playseat by bolting it to a board and I intended to build an angled pedal box so I can straighten my pedals. I'm hoping that'll give me more control and eliminate my knee pain (by being a better angle and also allowing me to place the brake in a different position).

View attachment 1285049

The question is, what should I be looking for in leg position so as not to hurt my knees on longer racing sessions? Should I move the pedal more to the center again so it is not so outboard as that is what I am used to?

Thoughts?

When I used my Playseat the most comfortable position was to have the pedals raised and further away so my legs were a bit straighter.

Last edited:
Try to reduce the BRF, this will reduce the force you have to apply when braking.

I’d initially started with it at 25, down from the default 30, but have been gradually increasing it. I’m currently at 40 which I felt gave me more control for partial braking inputs. I can definitely try to reduce that again.

I had similar issues with my knee/hip after I changed my setup from the Fanatec Standard Pedals to the CSL Elite V2, but only after I also changed the seat on my rig.
I'm using the Next Level Racing F-GT rig and after upgrading the seat I had to change the position of the pedals from the Formula to GT position. And after a short while the pain appeared.

After some more adjustments and going back to the full Formula position of the rig, the pain was gone immediately.

I know the same change isn't possible with your Playseat, but unless reducing the brake force helps it might be something you'd want to consider; to get a different rig to improve the seat position

So far I’ve moved the pedals away from me a little bit and reduced the force needed for maximum brake down to 30 (from 40) and that has alleviated my pain for now in the left knee.

But now the gas pedal is a smidge too far and the back of my right leg digs into the seat s bit too much. I’m going to have to bring the pedals a bit closer again.

I think lifting the pedals up an inch or two will help as well.

I think lifting the pedals up an inch or two will help as well.
I think it would indeed help. That way you'd be pressing more away from you instead of the slightly downwards motion you have now. I'm glad the knee pain has already improved though, that's a plus. 👍

Back