Starting sim racing.

• Thread starter alhamton
  • 8 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
Lately, I've been wanting to get into sim racing, I don't have very much knowledge on cars or racing but I'm still interested in starting. Currently, the only gear I have is a H.O.T.A.S. So if I want to start playing with a controller, I'd need to buy a new controller, or if I wanted to start playing with a wheel, I'd need to buy a new wheel. And that's where I'm a bit stuck... I'm not sure if I should get a controller or a wheel to play. I've tried playing Assetto Corsa and Dirt3 on the Logitech G920 with the shifter and I really enjoyed it, haven't tried with a controller though. A few of my friends (that play on controller) are strongly advising that I don't start off with a wheel and should go with a controller instead. However, from what I've seen online, I've been getting mixed reviews on sim racing with a controller. I've also been seeing videos on Youtube suggesting I should start off with a wheel. Any advice?

If you can afford it definitely get a wheel. Using a controller has nothing to do with sim racing. It is not only more realistic but gives you far more control and thanks to the FFB you can actually feel what the car is doing.

Well put it this way... If your writing for advice as what to do in this forum, It would appear that you seriuosly would like to consider sim racing, NOT gaming.. you would use a controller imo for gaming.

So what plaform are you on PS4 your weapon of choice i would say is the thrustmaster t300 and up or the fanatec csl xbox has something similar and of course you have the logitecs too, and for PC your pretty much ok with any wheelbase. Start with a wheel stand or some thing like the Playseat Challenge Then progress from there,

You'll find and meet guys n gals that have the like minded love for sim racing as you do through this forum and many others do your homework and have the most immense fun... btw check out ebay for wheel bases rather than buy new for a first wheel peddle combo ...jmo

If you have the funds for it then buy a wheel of course. I use a controller myself, because I'm poor and I play other games not just sim racing titles.

Lately, I've been wanting to get into sim racing, I don't have very much knowledge on cars or racing but I'm still interested in starting. Currently, the only gear I have is a H.O.T.A.S. So if I want to start playing with a controller, I'd need to buy a new controller, or if I wanted to start playing with a wheel, I'd need to buy a new wheel. And that's where I'm a bit stuck... I'm not sure if I should get a controller or a wheel to play. I've tried playing Assetto Corsa and Dirt3 on the Logitech G920 with the shifter and I really enjoyed it, haven't tried with a controller though. A few of my friends (that play on controller) are strongly advising that I don't start off with a wheel and should go with a controller instead. However, from what I've seen online, I've been getting mixed reviews on sim racing with a controller. I've also been seeing videos on Youtube suggesting I should start off with a wheel. Any advice?
You do not need a wheel to start and discover if SIM or Racing Game are for you or not, any controller will do, we all started with a controller. Once you find out that SIM racing more than racing games are interesting to you and you feel you might spend a good chunk of you gaming time driving and Racing in a SIM, then it will be time to purchase a wheel and pedals, as they are a key element to truly appreciate a SIM.

You do not need a wheel to start and discover if SIM or Racing Game are for you or not, any controller will do, we all started with a controller. Once you find out that SIM racing more than racing games are interesting to you and you feel you might spend a good chunk of you gaming time driving and Racing in a SIM, then it will be time to purchase a wheel and pedals, as they are a key element to truly appreciate a SIM.
Yes, I definitely would not start off with a wheel if you're not sure if sim racing is for you or not.

Wheel, definitely.

I suppose you play flight sims? Well how would you feel playing a flight sim with a controller instead of your H.O.T.A.S?
With sim racing it is the same.

Back