Steam Deck, Valve's Answer to the Nintendo Switch; Now Set For February Release After Suffering a Delay

And it's HERE :D :D :D

(Im)patiently waiting for some games to install now, first impressions are really good though - it feels great in my hands, quality overall seems very good. Glad I went for the 512Gb version, not only for the storage but also the anti-glare screen.

Should keep me busy this evening!

I got my SD 2 weeks ago. Today I got te official dock. What a game changer this thing is. Forza Horizon on the go and on the couch.

1665608713694.png
1665608736103.png

1665608764117.png

1665608786535.png

Shame FH4 does not run that well. After sleep mode the framerates goes down and is very unstable. It's the only game in my lib that has this.

As there's a pretty good chance most of us here who have Decks will also have a PS4 or 5, I thought I should put this here: https://streetpea.github.io/chiaki4deck/

I had set Chiaki up ages ago but found it lacking in things like touchpad support, Chiaki4Deck is miles better. I do still have problems with the stream quality, same as I had with Chiaki, but I think that's down to my awful router being awful, I need to work out if I can set it to short preamble or whatever because, well, it looks like this more often than not:

PXL_20230227_140533475.jpg
Edit: forgot to note that if your router is awful like mine and doesn't allow you to split the SSID between 2.4 and 5GHz, nor switch off the 2.4GHz radio before the 5GHz (for some reason it will let you turn 2.4GHz off IF you turn 5GHz off first...), you can force your PS4 to only connect to 5GHz networks by pressing Options when you reach the network selection screen while setting up your network connection. It's also worth giving your console a static IP while you're at it.

Last edited:
I'm kinda torn on the OLED thing.

One the one hand, I have no problem with the LCD screen or relative lack of battery life my 256GB model have, but I know the OLED model is better. I can't afford it right now, but if I could sell my one for about £250, I would upgrade.

On the other hand, I paid for the whole Deck so I want to use the whole Deck - I want to keep it going until it can't go anymore. When the battery dies or screen breaks and I can't get another I'll put the main board in a 3D printed case and have a (very) SFF PC for emulation or something, even if I have another Deck by that point.

I'm curious about how competitive the SDLCD/SDOLED will remain in the next year or two, now it's more or less sure that there will not be a major APU/memory upgrade soon-ish. Newer games such as Starfield and Alan Wake 2 already make on the edge in terms of playability if I interpret all the conversations correctly? Also considering the interview with Valve engineers about releasing SteamOS for other handhelds being a priority?

That said, SD remains king in pick-up-and-play experience, no Windows handheld, Z1E/7840U or not, comes close. Windows, Modern Standby and handhelds are not friends.

@NLxAROSA in my opinion - and I may have read this in an interview, forgot and then internalised it as an original thought - the Deck has always been a Trojan horse for Valve, the product they were actually selling as part of the Deck SKU is actually SteamOS. After the Steam Machines disaster they had to find another approach to make SteamOS desirable and creating a whole new niche of affordable, usable handhelds was a smart way to achieve that, so it makes sense that they should now put the Deck on hold until there's an APU that makes for a compelling upgrade and work on SteamOS instead to help drive new installs on competing platforms.

Problem is, the overwhelming majority of PCs that people use to play games on Steam are desktops and laptops and SteamOS currently does nothing especially useful there, in fact it limits your options because you can't play VR games, can't play a lot of very popular games that use certain anti-cheat packages, it's harder to install games from other stores, harder to mod games, you can't stream or record gameplay... The list probably goes on.

It'll be interesting to see how they continue to chip away at this problem to completely undermine Windows. I think within the next decade we'll see them launch an x86 compatibility tool to run any game on ARM processors, the Deckard standalone VR headset that has limited processing power of its own but zero config pairing with a more powerful device and a desktop/settop console along with a vastly improved SteamOS desktop environment and a controller that does something super desirable with half-arsed Windows drivers to help push people to SteamOS.

I doubt they'll ever crack the anti-cheat problem as it exists today but I could see them coming up with something superior and then when new games implement that instead, the old games that don't work on SteamOS will start to die off (as players move on to new games) and it's problem solved.

@NLxAROSA in my opinion - and I may have read this in an interview, forgot and then internalised it as an original thought - the Deck has always been a Trojan horse for Valve, the product they were actually selling as part of the Deck SKU is actually SteamOS. After the Steam Machines disaster they had to find another approach to make SteamOS desirable and creating a whole new niche of affordable, usable handhelds was a smart way to achieve that, so it makes sense that they should now put the Deck on hold until there's an APU that makes for a compelling upgrade and work on SteamOS instead to help drive new installs on competing platforms.

Problem is, the overwhelming majority of PCs that people use to play games on Steam are desktops and laptops and SteamOS currently does nothing especially useful there, in fact it limits your options because you can't play VR games, can't play a lot of very popular games that use certain anti-cheat packages, it's harder to install games from other stores, harder to mod games, you can't stream or record gameplay... The list probably goes on.

It'll be interesting to see how they continue to chip away at this problem to completely undermine Windows. I think within the next decade we'll see them launch an x86 compatibility tool to run any game on ARM processors, the Deckard standalone VR headset that has limited processing power of its own but zero config pairing with a more powerful device and a desktop/settop console along with a vastly improved SteamOS desktop environment and a controller that does something super desirable with half-arsed Windows drivers to help push people to SteamOS.

I doubt they'll ever crack the anti-cheat problem as it exists today but I could see them coming up with something superior and then when new games implement that instead, the old games that don't work on SteamOS will start to die off (as players move on to new games) and it's problem solved.
Having just sold my OG 512 SD the other week and jumped on the Legion Go bandwagon, I can say that I do not regret selling my SD ....... and buying the new SD later this week. The Legion Go windows 11 handheld is just too painfull compared to the smooth experience SD offers. The LGO would not come out of sleep or hibernate in a good way 95% of the times. And if it did both WRC23 and ACC crash.

As for moddability. On the SD I used custom skins in AMS2. Desktop mode works pretty good for that.

Having just sold my OG 512 SD the other week and jumped on the Legion Go bandwagon, I can say that I do not regret selling my SD ....... and buying the new SD later this week. The Legion Go windows 11 handheld is just too painfull compared to the smooth experience SD offers. The LGO would not come out of sleep or hibernate in a good way 95% of the times. And if it did both WRC23 and ACC crash.

As for moddability. On the SD I used custom skins in AMS2. Desktop mode works pretty good for that.
LLGO has teething issues, mostly drivers that are beta/not great. Give it time. But yeah, having a single hardware config and a single OS helps a lot to keep things stable. Windows and handhelds means fiddling until you find your sweetspot. There's not a single one because folks prioritize different things when it comes to balancing battery duration, image quality, resolution and frame rate.

And even then I have different templates for different game types (e.g. racing 60FPS is a must, but single player RPG: 40 is fine really. Also: diminishing returns is a thing when it comes to TDP. For the Z1E/7840U it's around 20-25W. The Ayaneo Kun can go to 54W, so more than double the power, but you don't get double the performance, just a lot of heat/shorter battery duration. And last, but not least: drivers/BIOS/apps is a ******** with every new device from a vendor. Because there is no true handheld support, vendors need to resort to weird hacks to enable companion apps, such as disabling Memory Integrity and other security features you really don't want to disable. It's all pretty much in its infancy.

I hope MSFT gets their act together and make a handheld layer for Windows 11.

Thing is: Zen4/RDNA3 is already here and we havent really seen its true power due to Windows. (SteamOS is way better optimized for gaming, unlike Windows which is not a good combo with handhelds to put it mildly) But even with Windows bloat/overhead, it's already the difference between running Starfield at Ultra (performance mod not optional ;)) at 40-60FPS at 1080p or watching a slide show at 800p. Same for Alan Wake 2. If the SD is struggling with these games now, I think it won't be able to keep up with all the UE5 madness that is coming. I don't think Zen3/RDNA2 will last more than a year or so. BTW, UE5 is great for handhelds because of TSR.

That said: if you don't play the latest and greatest, the SD is still King when it comes to pick-up-and-play experience. And it's cheaper than Z1E, let alone 7840U (those extremely low Indiegogo prices are gone :P).

That said: if you don't play the latest and greatest, the SD is still King
I think that's it for me, I subscribed to the "patient gamer" thing years before the Deck was even announced, I always wait for patches and a sale. The fact that, say, Starfield doesn't run all that well on the Deck will remain irrelevant to me for years yet! That's not to say I don't want a better Deck, but I can wait for the next one I think.

Back