Steep (PS4/XOne/PC)

Canada
Ottawa
Pyano1132

Looks like an interesting game from Ubisoft, an open world skiing/snowboarding/wingsuiting/parachuting/hiking adventure set in the French Alps. It's an extreme sports game with a much greater emphasis on the open-ended world than most games of this type. A guilty pleasure of mine was actually a hidden gem in the Wii called We Ski and Snowboard by Bandai Namco, and this looks like the same sort of idea without the motion controls and hyper-HD graphics, so that got me pretty interested in the game.

I played a couple snow games in my youth on PS1, Cool Boarders 2 and Sled Storm. I'm quite looking forward to the opportunity to immerse myself in a winter wonder land once again.

I placed my pre-order on this today which comes out December 2nd. I'm hoping it will have lasting entertainment value.

If the beta is anything to go by it will get old fast. Lacks any real structure, riddled with issues and just wasn't actually much fun. Which disappointed me as I was also looking forward to this.

If the beta is anything to go by it will get old fast. Lacks any real structure, riddled with issues and just wasn't actually much fun. Which disappointed me as I was also looking forward to this.

That's usually how betas go. Not much content, no real progression, and the bugs are in the beta so they can get fixed before launch. But hey, one of my favourite games, Skyrim was a bugfest that never got fixed.

That's usually how betas go. Not much content, no real progression, and the bugs are in the beta so they can get fixed before launch. But hey, one of my favourite games, Skyrim was a bugfest that never got fixed.
This is Ubisoft though, I'm willing to bet nothing gets touched from the Beta. :lol:

The beta was the full game in beta form so the progression and content, in theory, is what the final release will be. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of events, loads of accessories and costumes to unlock but nothing binds it other than some slightly irritating voiceovers from people who never show themselves throwing massive events at you that you don't feel you've earned. Perhaps it will get fixed but it's concerning that the beta ended just over a week before it's release.

I consider buying this, but I think, I am going to wait till the season is over and this game gets a (hopefully) massive price cut.

...or I can't hold myself back and get it right away. :D

I like the fantasy of this game and wish, it will deliver good gameplay, if all you want to do is boarding or skiing in a large, open area. I don't care if the events are repetitiv or badly presented. I am more interested in just throwing myself into the snow.
The beta reactions were mixed. Most people who didn't like it, didn't like the controls..or the lack of it, compared to games like SSX.

I enjoyed SSX3 quite a lot, but now i want a more sim like game, which could be Steep.

Let's hope the best!

I can't believe, that Ubi is going to change anything from the beta to release, but they may support this game in a longer term, taking the TheCrew approach. Who doesn't want to check out a huge steep patch in july!? :D

Last edited:
Has anyone else gotten this and been playing it? Graphically the game is beautiful, the gameplay is smooth and challenging if you want the gold times. One thing I don't really like, whether it's realistic or not, is that you can't repetitively take G's through large jumps or small hits. If you graze a tree then hit a few bumps in the snow at speed you will wipe out.
The only bug I think I've encountered is that when I logged in to play it the second time, none of my character customisation had saved, all the apparel was on the default. See what happens on the third time next time I play it.

I've played it for 3-4 hours so far on PS4. I'm not sure about longevity but so far I'm definitely having a blast and can't wait to play again in an hour.
The Alps are absolutely huge and beautiful - and supposedly there's free Alaska DLC coming later - and if I'll find longevity it will almost certainly be in simply finding my own paths down the mountains, whether it's for insane speed and jumps down the steepest sides, or a more leisurely cruise in the lower parts.

Controls seemed to be the main issue of complaint for many people during the beta but for me they feel just fine (it's been more than 25 years since I was last on a pair of real skis, so I'm just treating it as a game and not concerning myself with whether it might be a sim or not).
Just like in past winter sports games (SSX etc.) I'm also partial to not spending most time focused on fancy jump tricks (though I certainly do them, but not paying particular attention to the types of flips and graps and whatever I happen to do) but rather on speed and weaving closely in and out between obstacles.

I haven't run into any obvious bugs yet, only rare minor annoyances like getting stuck on rocks.

I wish you could turn off all or parts of the crowded UI, but that's happened before in other Ubisoft games so perhaps there's hope here too.

I definitely seems to be a glitch where every time I turn the game on my character customisation has defaulted.👎 But otherwise I'm quite enjoying the game.👍

I got it and like it so far.
I can only talk for skis, as I never stood on a board myself, but I think they nailed the experience.
The looks, the behaviour of the skis and the sound make you nearly smell the alps.

There is only one point, that annoys me to the point where I want to eat my controller. The jump mechanics are aweful.
We built ramps ourself, back in the day and I can't remember a single moment, when anyone missed the takeoff of a jump....EVER!
Taking off of the ramp and going into your trick never was the hard part, landing was.
In steep, landing your trick is pretty forgiving, which is fine in a video game...but taking off and doing any trick besides grips requires such a perfect timing, that it becomes stressfull and therfore just lacks fun.
It is much harder than in real life, which is ridicoulous.

There is a small delay between releasing the jump button and taking off, which may wants to simulate the time you need to straighten your legs in the jumping process but it just doesn't work out gameplay wise, resulting in countless missed jumps.
The next thing is, to perform a spin. After succesfully jumping (yeeaaahhrrr), you have a tiny time frame to do your input for the spin/ flip. It uses the same controls as riding your skis and doesn't respond at all, if you even have the smallest steering angle, while taking off. So, when heading towards a jump, you have to release the analog stick completely and smash it in one direction just after relesing the jump button....miss the timing of any of these steps and your jump is screwed.

SSX blocked the steering while holding the jump button, allowing you to hold the stick in the direction you want to perform your spin/ flip while heading towards the jump. That worked much better, but you couldn't steer while holding the jump button.

I think, the SSX method would be a massive upgrade in usability, but it would be even better if the system would work as follows:

Taking off: Just holding the jump button while going over a ramp lets your rider take off automatically. You may want to give a little buff in jumping height, when releasing the jump button just in time, so the pros can feel pro.

Spinning/ flipping: You can still steer while you rider is in jumping position (holding the jump button), but as soon as you leave the ground, still holding the button or just having released it, your rider spins in the direction, you press. You sholdn't be forced to bring your analog stick in zero position right before the jump just to slam it back in postion after taking off. You could also give a little buff to spinning speed, when timed good for the pros.

All this is not meant to get easy golds in the freestyle events, it is meant to make the gameplay fluent and fun, when freeriding.

Evetything else on skis is really, really good and I have a total blast, to just go the lines I want, trying to not put my face in the snow while doing so. Being on skis in this game, is absolutely lovely. If they fix the jumping, it is as perfect as the game can be, imho.

I got it and like it so far.
I can only talk for skis, as I never stood on a board myself, but I think they nailed the experience.
The looks, the behaviour of the skis and the sound make you nearly smell the alps.

There is only one point, that annoys me to the point where I want to eat my controller. The jump mechanics are aweful.
We built ramps ourself, back in the day and I can't remember a single moment, when anyone missed the takeoff of a jump....EVER!
Taking off of the ramp and going into your trick never was the hard part, landing was.
In steep, landing your trick is pretty forgiving, which is fine in a video game...but taking off and doing any trick besides grips requires such a perfect timing, that it becomes stressfull and therfore just lacks fun.
It is much harder than in real life, which is ridicoulous.

There is a small delay between releasing the jump button and taking off, which may wants to simulate the time you need to straighten your legs in the jumping process but it just doesn't work out gameplay wise, resulting in countless missed jumps.
The next thing is, to perform a spin. After succesfully jumping (yeeaaahhrrr), you have a tiny time frame to do your input for the spin/ flip. It uses the same controls as riding your skis and doesn't respond at all, if you even have the smallest steering angle, while taking off. So, when heading towards a jump, you have to release the analog stick completely and smash it in one direction just after relesing the jump button....miss the timing of any of these steps and your jump is screwed.

SSX blocked the steering while holding the jump button, allowing you to hold the stick in the direction you want to perform your spin/ flip while heading towards the jump. That worked much better, but you couldn't steer while holding the jump button.

I think, the SSX method would be a massive upgrade in usability, but it would be even better if the system would work as follows:

Taking off: Just holding the jump button while going over a ramp lets your rider take off automatically. You may want to give a little buff in jumping height, when releasing the jump button just in time, so the pros can feel pro.

Spinning/ flipping: You can still steer while you rider is in jumping position (holding the jump button), but as soon as you leave the ground, still holding the button or just having released it, your rider spins in the direction, you press. You sholdn't be forced to bring your analog stick in zero position right before the jump just to slam it back in postion after taking off. You could also give a little buff to spinning speed, when timed good for the pros.

All this is not meant to get easy golds in the freestyle events, it is meant to make the gameplay fluent and fun, when freeriding.

Evetything else on skis is really, really good and I have a total blast, to just go the lines I want, trying to not put my face in the snow while doing so. Being on skis in this game, is absolutely lovely. If they fix the jumping, it is as perfect as the game can be, imho.
It sounds a bit over-dramatic, but the jump lag is what made me cancel my pre-order. I couldn't deal with just how long in advance you have to plan for the jumps to pull off simple moves. I'm obviously not expecting SSX but like you say, more emphasis on the landing would be better. It's easier to land in Steep than any other winter sport game I've played but actually getting in the air is a trial in itself.

I'm not finding the jump timing to be any issue what so ever? Sure, occasionally I'll mistime one, but it's rare and doesn't impact my gameplay. I actually like all the controls, including the ability to turn while holding the jump button. I'm quite enjoying this game, it's quite relaxing and fun while at the same time providing enough of a challenge chasing gold medals to keep it interesting.

I'm not really having frequent issues with jump timing either. Though whether or not pulling off specific tricks is predictable I can't really say for sure, since the freestyle trick aspect of the game is the one I have least interest in and I have so far skipped a lot of those events except for the beginner and some medium ones.
I'm having a lot more fun with breakneck speeds on skis down a rocky and treacherous high altitude mountain side.

This looks cool but no way in hell am I paying $90 for it. Will pick it up when it's at least 50% off.

This is a perfect type of game to play over the xmas period but i too dont want to pay full price for it,as it has obvious niggles that need sorting out.

I haven't encountered any niggles, game runs very smooth.

I mean the negative points all the reviews have pointed out....probably things that wont bother me anyway - but im still not paying £48 for it hehe!

Despite a few horrid camera & control issues,i LOVE this game,it has a certain 'charm' about it - its the perfect chilled out,pick up and play game. Skiing downhill for 10 minutes solid in the sunset is so tranquil,or you can try some death defying squirrel suit falls through a ravine. Most of the graphics & lighting is done really well and i love the freedom you have where you can do what you want. The landscape is more detailed tha i thought it would be,with various landmarks you have to reach - again,most of this game is just so relaxed and chilled out. 7/10 is about right imo.

Just thought I would quick bring this up but Steep is considered free for the weekend.
While it's still not the "free" game that they announced but it's 50% off if you want to buy it.

Back