Steering, braking, and throttle too sensitive on controller?

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 27 comments

Do you find the throttle/braking and steering to be too sensitive?

• Yes, I use the triggers and find inputs too sensitive.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Yes, I use the analog sticks and find inputs to sensitive.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, I use the triggers and find the inputs to be fine.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • No, use the analog sticks and find the inputs to be fine.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Buy a wheel, all will be well.

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
United States
Portland, Oregon
I can't be the only one who has trouble with every RWD car in the game because the controls are too sensitive, right? Please say 'yes'. GT5 had very touchy controls, but they could be mastered by using the triggers, which is what I do, or the right analog stick for throttle and braking. Sure, driving cars like the F40 or McLaren F1 on comfort tires was hard, but as long as you were smooth, it was possible. But in GT6, that just doesn't seem possible, when using the triggers, there's basically 20 percent throttle, and 100 percent. Just like GT5, braking isn't nearly as bad, but trail braking is now much, much more difficult, and try as I might, I just can't get the hang of it.

Something that I found fine in GT5 though was steering, there aren't any complaints I had with it, but in this game, again, it's too sensitive, every car has crazy fast turn-in even on -2 sensitivity. Normally fast turn in is great, but it's too quick, and I can't make any smooth inputs, which, as many of us know, is key to being fast. It's so bad for me, that I still haven't beat the KTM XBow hill climb thing. The forced SRF on that race doesn't help either.

TL;DR: I think inputs in this game are too sensitive and it sucks.

So, are others out there struggling with the sensitivity too, or am I just loony?
Probably the latter.

I started using thumbsticks about half a year into GT5, I was using X and square for throttle and braking and arrows for steering. Thumbsticks are definitely better than that and I've got used to them and have no problems with them being too sensitive.

I started using thumbsticks about half a year into GT5, I was using X and square for throttle and braking and arrows for steering. Thumbsticks are definitely better than that and I've got used to them and have no problems with them being too sensitive.
I find L2&R2 help big time.

I use ABS-1 and nothing else. Steering sensitivity set to +7, R2 throttle L2 brake, and I only have trouble with supercars like the ZR-1, CTS-V, Shelby Mustang etc. Massive oversteer at corner exit unless my thumb is nowhere near the left analog stick, or if I upshift early so the rpm's are too low to break traction (but I lose time that way.)

I have a feeling they would be just as hard to handle with a wheel. Cars like those demand extremely precise throttle control.

Last edited:
Anyone using DS3, in fact even a wheel, try the Motor Sport Elise 99:ill:

How can PD turn one of the best handling cars in the world into a forklift truck?

I'll try the Motorsport Elise tomorrow, but in the meantime I did put the '98 Lotus Elise Sport 190 through its paces. On Sport Hard tires, bone stock otherwise, it ran a 2:19.787 at Suzuka Circuit. It's extremely fragile and delicate due to the MR layout with 190 horsepower, weighing just 1,477 lbs. I won't lie, it had me breaking a sweat trying to be perfect with the controller. With a wheel it's probably possible to shave off a second, maybe more.

I'm somewhat surprised to see that many people have no problems at all. Huh, I think my controller may be beyond its peak, I was talking to someone about the Simbin racing games, and I found them (and rFactor) too sensitive as well, to the point of being unplayable, while they said they were touchy, but not unplayable. The problem with that theory is that I tried two controllers today, both felt the same.

Man, I really want a wheel, but I need about 100 dollars more for a G27 plus stand. I'd get a Fanatec, but I have 100 dollars in Amazon cards and the don't sell them on there. Phooey.

Man, I really want a wheel, but I need about 100 dollars more for a G27 plus stand. I'd get a Fanatec, but I have 100 dollars in Amazon cards and the don't sell them on there. Phooey.

Why not DFGT? its a great wheel and a few home mods can make the pedals better.

Why not DFGT? its a great wheel and a few home mods can make the pedals better.
I'd have to spend another 30 bucks on decent paddles for the paddle shifter and it doesn't have a clutch pedal. I did consider it though, as it's much cheaper, the price on the G27 has gone up 40 dollars since the last time I checked. Maybe I can get someone to buy my Amazon cards so I can get a Fanatec...

The ds3 will always have these issues. you can try using kontrol freeks and that help alot.
I tried that, but my freakish mutant tiny hands find them uncomfortable, and the speed freeks were pretty uncomfortable. I also tried the HKS controller, it didn't help either.

I can't be the only one who has trouble with every RWD car in the game because the controls are too sensitive, right? Please say 'yes'. GT5 had very touchy controls, but they could be mastered by using the triggers, which is what I do, or the right analog stick for throttle and braking. Sure, driving cars like the F40 or McLaren F1 on comfort tires was hard, but as long as you were smooth, it was possible. But in GT6, that just doesn't seem possible, when using the triggers, there's basically 20 percent throttle, and 100 percent. Just like GT5, braking isn't nearly as bad, but trail braking is now much, much more difficult, and try as I might, I just can't get the hang of it.

Something that I found fine in GT5 though was steering, there aren't any complaints I had with it, but in this game, again, it's too sensitive, every car has crazy fast turn-in even on -2 sensitivity. Normally fast turn in is great, but it's too quick, and I can't make any smooth inputs, which, as many of us know, is key to being fast. It's so bad for me, that I still haven't beat the KTM XBow hill climb thing. The forced SRF on that race doesn't help either.

So, are others out there struggling with the sensitivity too, or am I just loony?
Probably the latter.

Use original DS2 stick from PS2 with USB Adapter, you'll be jumping in happiness :) With DS2 you can lift/pull up the analog stick a little bit, it has an extension, it gives a bit more resistance and range of movement. DS2 face buttons alone requires 3 times more pressure to register full input than DS3, that means no need for shoulder buttons or right analog for gas and brake. Use the cross and square instead - like me, I can give 10% to 100% input precisely without issue.

This is done with DS2 + cheap USB adapter, cross for gas and square for brake.

600HP Diablo GT, stock, wing removed, comfort medium, no abs or other aids, high brake balance.

I never use my DS3 in GT5 and GT6 or any other racing games, NASCAR and Ferrari The Race Experience also gets the benefits, played both without any aids - no ABS, TC etc and can accurately gas and brake + steer without issue. Only use DS2 :D

Recently I bought 2 new DS2 stick for spare.

Yes, I only got a PS3 a few days ago (came free with my broadband) the last console I had was the 360 years ago, and on Forza 2 I could control the throttle / brake as good as a wheel with the triggers, not sure if it's the PS3 pad, or GT6, but the triggers feel very digital, it's almost impossible to use throttle control out of an apex as I can't seem to get around the 3/4 full mark.
Low throttle works quite well but there's a big deadzone on "full" to low with not much in between.
I can't remember what the right stick is like for accel / brake but I'm sure it's got more range in between, it's a shame about the sticks as it's quite a game breaker when you drive without TCS etc of which you had amazing control on the 360 Forza games.

Hope it can be fixed... I was tempted to try a 360 to PS3 converter so I can use the 360 controller but apparently it introduces some latency, or try a 3rd party controller that's similar to 360's, but now I'm not sure if it's the pad or GT6.

Yes, I only got a PS3 a few days ago (came free with my broadband) the last console I had was the 360 years ago, and on Forza 2 I could control the throttle / brake as good as a wheel with the triggers, not sure if it's the PS3 pad, or GT6, but the triggers feel very digital, it's almost impossible to use throttle control out of an apex as I can't seem to get around the 3/4 full mark.
Low throttle works quite well but there's a big deadzone on "full" to low with not much in between.
I can't remember what the right stick is like for accel / brake but I'm sure it's got more range in between, it's a shame about the sticks as it's quite a game breaker when you drive without TCS etc of which you had amazing control on the 360 Forza games.

Hope it can be fixed... I was tempted to try a 360 to PS3 converter so I can use the 360 controller but apparently it introduces some latency, or try a 3rd party controller that's similar to 360's, but now I'm not sure if it's the pad or GT6.
I wouldn't suggest using a 360 controller, as I said above, the other controller I tried had no effect, leading me to believe that it's the game.

Ah, well that sounds promising then if it can be possibly fixed with an update :)

TBH as it is core gameplay, it should be a high priority (not everyone has the cash / room for a wheel)

I wouldn't suggest using a 360 controller, as I said above, the other controller I tried had no effect, leading me to believe that it's the game.

Read my post above, DS2 stick works well with USB Adapter, and I can guarantee it's a lot better than DS3 when it comes to pressure sensitive face buttons, you can gas and brake accurately, even no ABS becomes fun.

The game is fine, the controller is the culprit.

I'm not entirely convinced that the game is totally fine. I can do no ABS in GT5, but using the same controller in GT6 without ABS results in locking my brakes all the time. That video you posted is making me think otherwise though.

It's the DS3 - it's bad for racing game, real bad. The face buttons are analog but the pressure range are very limited, totally the opposite to DS2 ( PS2 stick ) which has 3 times more range, which means I have to press quite deep and hard to brake or gas fully ( I can dial in small increments up to 100%, 80% gas or brake - right on :D )

If there's old DS2 stick laying around from PS2 gaming days, there's nothing to lose, use it + get a cheap USB Adapter from computer shop, should be cheap ( got mine for less than 5 bucks )

No ABS in GT6 is much better and more realistic due to the new tire and suspension physics.

I'll hunt around the house for a DS2, but I think I got rid of them when we sold our PS2 for a fatty PS3 (R.I.P.). If I find one, I'll take your advice and snag an adapter, if not, I'll continue saving up for a wheel. About 100 dollars to go.

Probably the latter.
Maybe you're not as good as you thought you were. As far as sensitivity goes, I haven't noticed a change. I use a ds3.

Maybe you're not as good as you thought you were. As far as sensitivity goes, I haven't noticed a change. I use a ds3.
Oh, bringing it to that, are we? Personally, I don't think that someone who can drive a McLaren F1 on comfort tires without much difficulty in GT5 would have much of a struggle in GT6 when driving any RWD car with over 250 horsepower on sports hard tires. Yes, the physics are different, but I highly doubt that a new suspension and tire model alone is enough to have such a huge effect.

Wait, why would a Diablo be on Comfort Mediums? There are only a handful of cars that come stock with those tires, and they have like 50 horsepower.

Wait, why would a Diablo be on Comfort Mediums? There are only a handful of cars that come stock with those tires, and they have like 50 horsepower.

Try it and you'll see how much grip it has, if you look at cornering speed, would you think it represent a decent summer street tire ? I fitted comfort medium as I wanted to have the car handle like it has ordinary mid range performance street tire. With comfort medium, traction around low/medium speed corners also quite close to a real life car on street tire, and it eats the 1st Mt Panorama corner at around 87-90 kmh. I would say that is around the speed of a street tire would do on such car. Want more grip, fit comfort soft, or sports tire ( semi slick IRL ) - it's all preference.

Check this out :

RE070 also fitted on Nissan GTR in IRL as stock tire and GT5 is not the same as GT6 - the tire grip are vastly different, now comfort tires are grippier than in GT5, and it should be comfort soft in GT6.

Here are just my rough estimation :

Similar to RE070 and below - passenger car tires -comfort in GT6:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

michelin-pilot-sport-ps2_lg.jpg

Direzza DZ101

dunlop_direzza_dz101_lg.jpg

Potenza RE50

bridgestone_potenza_re050a_lg.jpg

Advan Neova Sport V105

yokohama-salone-di-ginevra-2013-01.jpg

TOYO Proxes 4 Plus :

Toyo-Proxes4Plus_lg.jpg

NITTO Neo Gen
nitto_neoGen_lg.jpg

Advan S drive :

yokohama_sdrive_lg.jpg

This might be similar to comfort medium :

Michelin Pilot Sport AS2 - comparable tires : Potenza RE960 and EAGLE F1 All Season
michelin-pilot-sport-as3_lg.jpg

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

goodyear-EagleF1-Asymmetric2_lg.jpg

Comfort Hard equivalent, similar fitted to stock GT86 and variety of hatcback and sedan :

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring
goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring_lg.jpg

Sports Hard would be : ( semi slick style street legal tires )

Michelin P Zero Sliver

pirelli-PZERO-Silver_LG.jpg

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

dunlop_direzza_z1_lg.jpg

Neova AD07

t_yhad07.gif

Maybe Sports Medium / Soft :

Michelin Super Sport

Michelin-PilotSuperSport_lg.jpg

Potenza RE11

Bridgestone_Potenza_RE-11_lg.jpg

Neova AD08R Time Attack ( probably sports soft - designed for track use but can be used on the street ? )

Neova-AD08R-Tsk-TA-05.jpg

Dunlop Direzza ZII

dunlop-DirezzaZ2_lg.jpg

I drove many tuned/ high power car in GT6 on comfort medium and soft, and their cornering speed and traction seems to be realistic.

And here is a post with the replay of a race done with Cizeta V16T, comfort medium, rain at Bathurst, 100% weather, 30% water ( I think ), no ABS or other aids, 2 laps race. You'll see that comfort tires in GT6 represent street tire pretty well, vastly different than in GT5 level of grip both in traction and lateral limit. Done with a DS2 stick.

Got a dropbox account made, here is a link to the replay : 2 lap arcade race, AI on Pro (10), Cizeta V16T, stock, CM tire, no aids, grip real, rain - weather 100%, water on track 30%. Be sure to try view the replay inside ( cockpit/interior view 2 ), lots of bumper to bumper and passes :D

RIDOX2JZGTE-Replay-Cizeta

Some shots :

Steering wise, I use -1 to +3 steering sensitivity, depend on the car, tire used and track ;)

Anyone using DS3, in fact even a wheel, try the Motor Sport Elise 99:ill:

How can PD turn one of the best handling cars in the world into a forklift truck?
It's a joy to drive...Thanks for suggesting it.

My controller feels like a two stage trigger only registering half and full throttle. I know it has full range but everything between half and full is a hair width of motion.

Though I do have a good wheel, I prefer to relax with the controller quite frequently.

I've been playing with it (using L2 and R2) and it is possible to get some control if you try _really_ hard, there's just no range on the important bit at ~50-75% if anyone has played Forza on the 360 they will know what I mean: http://imagebin.org/284538
Not sure if it's the game or the DS3 as I only have GT6 to go by.

Back