Steering Wheel Advice

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last week looking for every piece of information on steering wheels that I could find, both on this forum (including the "best steering wheel for GT5" thread) as well as other sources, and yet, I still can't decide.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1. new for $200 or less, if possible (any additional money would start taking a bit out of my stand/cockpit budget)
2. best force feedback/functionality with GT5
3. paddle shifters (an actual shifter is a nice bonus but not an absolute requirement)

I think I basically have 5 options (in order of current preference):
- Fanatec Porsche 911 Carerra - fits 1 and 3, with the optional paddle shifters, but I'm hearing varying reports about problems with Fanatec wheels and GT5 (I also have a Mac so updates would be a PITA)

- DFGT - fits requirements 1 and 2, since GT5 specifically programmed for it but not 3, since those buttons on the steering wheel are simply not good enough to count as "paddles"

- Fantatec GT3 V2 with standard pedals and no actual shifter - puts me overbudget, would have to wait a month to get it, and same issues as Carrera...but wow does it look good and I love alacantara!!!

- G27 - puts me way over the budget, hearing some issues with the clutch (I know its not my top priority but if I'm paying, I want it to work!) as well as some other issues, and for the price, the details don't seem to be as nice as the Fanatec.

- G25 - I can't find a new one for a decent price, so not really considering it at this time.

I'd really like to hear everyone one's experiences with these wheels. I realize much of the choice is personal preference, but since I've never even seen a Fanatec wheel, let alone used one, hearing from those more knowledgeable than myself is the best shot I have at getting the best steering wheel for me.

Thank you in advance to anyone who has taken time out of their day to help me out.

Can't say much to you as I've been using a wheel for 5 days now but I would go for the best you can afford. I wasn't sure how well I'd get on with a wheel, had my eye on a fanatec but went for a DFGT instead as a test run. After a few hours on it I knew I'd never go back to a pad and placed an order for a GT3 RS with clubsports and a Wheelstand!

If I were you I'd go for a Fanatec, maybe a Carrera would suit your budget best? And I'm not sure where you've read about issues with them on GT5, as far as I know the only one is you need a new dongle for their older Turbo wheel.

There were a couple of people reporting compatibility issues but it appears that they have found ways to resolve them (including the user who's thread is a few down from mine on this page) and as you mention, most people with problems are Turbo (non-S users) with a few GT3RS users sprinkled in.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Carerra (PWC) wheel but wouldn't mind hearing from a few more owners and their experiences with it.

Thanks again for your input!

I think the carrera wheel would suit you.

Although, alot of times you can find a logitech g27 on sale. I picked mine up for $220 shipped brand new. So that would not be too far over budget. But right now, with GT5 just released, they seem pretty scarce right now. And places that have them, are charging retail or over retail.

I was in the same boat a couple of months back. If I had to pay full price for a G27, I would have went with the carrera, or even the GT3 rs V2. But since I got it for only $50 more than the carrera(on sale of course), I jumped on the deal.

I think you will be happy with either. Although I have not tried any wheel other than a microsoft wheel. But general concensous says that both wheels are good. Especially for me coming from that microsoft wheel.

Do some research though. It seems both fanatec and logitech have issues and plus to them.

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last week looking for every piece of information on steering wheels that I could find, both on this forum (including the "best steering wheel for GT5" thread) as well as other sources, and yet, I still can't decide.
Ive had a Carrera for over a month so Ill give my view.
Here's what I'm looking for:
1. new for $200 or less, if possible (any additional money would start taking a bit out of my stand/cockpit budget)
2. best force feedback/functionality with GT5
3. paddle shifters (an actual shifter is a nice bonus but not an absolute requirement)
1. Carrera blows all wheels for value for money 159.95€ clutch, H-shifter 900°
2. It may not have the best force feedback but it is very good! To be honest, for under $200 your not going to get the best FFB wheel.
3. It comes with button shifters but if you want, you can do a 20€ upgrade for aluminium shifters (full size) or 40€ for carbon fibre ones.

I will advise you to go for the Carrera 100%

Last edited:
I would say the Carrera wheel is easily the best option in your budget range.

I've used every wheel you mention, and for the price the PWC wins hands down. You will not be disappointed.

900 degrees (fully adjustable)
tons of tuning options
upgradeable paddles ($20 for Aluminum, $40 for Carbon Fiber)
clutch
6-speed gated shifter

;)

Back