Steering Wheel Help

• Thread starter Hobbes1301
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I am not new to GTS but have decided to finally go ahead a purchase a steering wheel. It is an absolute minefield as I read so many threads of people complaining about wheels, compatibility issues etc. etc.

To keep it short and simple, I'm running Gran Turismo Sport on a PS5 and hopefully F1 2021 when it comes out (don't know if it has released a list of compatible wheels) I don't have a silly budget to play with but also don't expect to get it for peanuts either. I guess the question is how much do I have to spend for a good experience? I'm a casual gamer at best, not looking to compete in eSports or anything....

I tried a cheap wheel round a friends house but it had a lot of slack movement in each direction before the game would respond.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did look.....

I have a G29 which does the biz for me but is towards the lower end of the market.

I tried a cheap wheel round a friends house but it had a lot of slack movement in each direction before the game would respond.
That is a dead zone you can set. So not all wheels of his type will act like that unless you set it as such.

Personally I'd stay far away from Logitech stuff, they're still gear operated wheels and not belt driven. I have a Thrustmaster T300RS I'm really happy with and even the T150 I had before was a lot better than the DFGT I had before that.
If you can spend more, get a Fanatech tho

I have a G29 and a Fanatec CSL, I prefer the G29 on GTS, PC World have G29 for £200, if I were looking for a new wheel now I'd wait for the new CSL DD to become PS compatible, or buy a G29.

I prefer the G29 on GTS
Can you explain why you prefer the G29 over the Fanatec CSL on GTS ?

If you specify GTS, does it means that on other sims, you prefer the Fanatec CSL ?

Last edited:
I prefer the direct feel of the G29 and I like the pedals, the CSL actually has a softer/smoother feel and better quality pedals, there's nothing between them lap time wise, when ACC comes to PS5 I'll probably switch to the CSL, but for GTS the G29 suits me.

I've been using the T300RS and couldn't be happier.

I was a little wary as I'd seen some reviews saying it broke down a lot.
According to GT Sport's site I've driven over 72,000 miles (over about 2.5 years) with it and, touch wood, it's still like new.
Has a good range of settings so you can get it to feel how it suits you.

Good luck!

PS - not sure if it works with PS5 (not listed as a platform on the site yet)

Last edited:
The CSL Elite, while wonderful, isn't listed on their site anymore. I suspect that a PS5 ready version of the CSL DD will be announced soon. So if you really want the Fanatec, which is understandable because, while expensive, it's really nice, you may want to wait.

I would go fanatec. Worth the extra coin. I have a CSL elite and it’s been great. Splurge for a load cell pedal too.

Holy cow, I don't have that kind of money, I cannot afford a PS5, and my PS4 is a gift from my stepson, i will stick with my controller and do my best

The CSL Elite, while wonderful, isn't listed on their site anymore. I suspect that a PS5 ready version of the CSL DD will be announced soon. So if you really want the Fanatec, which is understandable because, while expensive, it's really nice, you may want to wait.
Fanatec confirmed me that they won't sell it anymore. And :

As sorry as we are to say good-bye to some products, we are just as excited about what’s to come. Stay tuned!

The only available PlayStation compatible Wheel Base we have right now can only be purchased in a bundle, the "Podium Racing Wheel F1®".
I am staying tuned, and I am psychologically preparing my wallet 😅

I'd buy something 2nd hand to tide me over till the CSL DD gets a PS version and becomes more widely available. Wheels tend to hold their value well so as long as you don't pay over the odds for one, you should be able to recoup the cost later on.

Anyone able to recommend today's equivalent of the DFGT? I had one for GT5/6 and loved it. I don't have much to spend so a budget wheel would do the trick.

Back