Steering wheel input freezes for up to a second when driving

Romania
Romania
Hello,

Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition user here on a PS4 Pro.

As the title says, the steering wheel input freezes constantly for fractions of a second up to a second ingame, while playing. I'm not talking about the driver's hands animation not going further than 180 degrees on either side (for some unknown reason in 2022). The game simply stops detecting steering wheel input, and the driver hands animation stops accordingly. You enter a turn, ingame wheel freezes at 20 degrees while you frantically turn to catch the slide, and unfreezes - physics and visually - when you're already in the gravel with the wheel turned 100 degrees, for example.

This is an excruciatingly frustrating bug, and yes, GT7 is the only game which has it. My wheel works fine, without hiccups, in all other games I play and have been playing for the last 7 years, console or PC. Including GT Sport.

Ports and usb jack are crispy clean.

PD, for the love of God, this is a blocking issue in a driving game. Fix it, please!

Edit March 23rd: this bug only happens on TARMAC driving, not gravel/rally.

Last edited:
Do you remember which cars it occurs with? This happens to me as well on G923, most notably R32, Mustan Gr.4 and Red Bull x2019, consistently.

Did you slam the car to the ground?

It sounds like it's loading up on the outside front tire and fouling on the inner arch so you can't turn more.

TumeK5.. this happens with all cars I've tried so far. What console are you using?

mwoodski, did you read my description of the issue? This is not a driving technique thing, but the game not reading steering input from my wheel on a continuous, uninterrupted basis.

Last edited:
I've had it happen with the X2019 at Le Mans, my suspicion is that it's due to the front of the car bottoming out, lifting the front wheels off the ground and thereby removing the ability to steer :boggled:

Thanks for the tip. But the game is simply not detecting steering wheel input constantly. This is not a driving issue. You turn the wheel at constant speed, it freezes at 10 degrees, it catches back - physics and animation included - at 70 degrees.

I've had it happen with the X2019 at Le Mans, my suspicion is that it's due to the front of the car bottoming out, lifting the front wheels off the ground and thereby removing the ability to steer :boggled:
THIS.

I wanted to do the Le Mans mission with the x2019 but found out I can't as it has huge problems there.

And another one. Happens to most cars I've tried, but not all. On the MK4 Supra (clip) it's bad. Doesn't happen at all with the Carrera GT.

I'd be curious to know if Kaz would play this game in this state for fun. Slow it down at 0:21 to understand.

Probably it's supposed to portray what Senna must have felt before hitting the wall.

Last edited:
I'm having exactly the same issue. Worked perfectly up to 24th ish of march, then continuous issue. Any solutions!

So - it turns out it was the car setup. Once I raised the suspension everything worked properly again. It's ridiculous that a suspension issue creates this problem; no tyre scrubbing noise, no other indications, just what seems to be a wheel sensor problem. I actually replaced my T300 thinking it had to be an issue with the wheel, but it wasn't. I was convinced that it was a hardware issue. So annoyed!

I’ve noticed the cockpit driver animation freezing when braking and steering at the same time but the wheels still turn according to input. Also his arm doesn’t return to the wheel past 3rd gear on manual shift cars.

Also I’d like to point about that if you have the ABS off, the steering goes light when you lock the front wheels, which isn’t a bug.

Last edited:
That was probably it. I have ABS off most of the time.
Also regarding brakes; after your wheel self calibrates (spins left to right when switched on) you should always fully push all the pedals. This calibrates the pedals. If you don’t do this you’ll notice that you get full brake from something like 25% of the travel the first time you hit the brake. It will re-calibrate when you push the pedal all the way. This is there because some brake mods reduce the travel of the brake. It makes it awkward to calibrate if you’re using the cone mod as you might push the brake further than when you first calibrated them. If you are using the cone mod I recommend adding a hard stop which makes braking/calibration much more consistent.

E870666D-F063-4B94-B374-26718E90E49B.jpeg

Pic showing my hard stop (t3pa pro pedals inverted)

Last edited:
Back