Steeringwheel animation

• Thread starter JSHuiting
  • 18 comments
Netherlands
Netherland
I'm kinda late to the party, wanting to buy a cheap PS4 soon just for GTSport but something cought my eye in gameplay videos.

It always seems like the steeringhweel in cockpit view doesn't really turn or move arround like you would expect, like there's some sort of delay.
Is this something that only occurs in the replays? Because in some videos i seem to notice it more than others.

Found one video that clearly demonstrates what i mean, whenever the car is already going straight the driver still seems to need some time to straighten the steeringwheel aswell.

it's not a deal breaker per-se, but i'm a huge fan of the extra immersion cockpit view can give.

It always seems like the steeringhweel in cockpit view doesn't really turn or move arround like you would expect, like there's some sort of delay.
Is this something that only occurs in the replays?
No, it's there when you're driving, it's horrible and makes the cockpit view unusable for me. Other games have a cockpit view without the wheel, e.g. I tried Assetto Corsa for the first time yesterday, and the cockpit view is great in that. I use what is commonly called "bumper cam" in GTS, but it's actually more like a cockpit view without the car displayed, i.e. the point of view is the same as cockpit view, it's just zoomed in a little rather than being closer to the ground. None of the top GTS drivers at world tour events use cockpit view.

I'll wait a little bit longer then for a better deal, seems like the problem is also way more noticeable when you're using a controller instead of a wheel?
At least judging by the drifting video.

And if you have a Samsung TV and find the "Game mode" too laggy, try setting it to PC-mode instead to get the lowest possible lag (by changing the "input name" or "device type" of the HDMI input connected to your PS4 to "PC".)

And, while I don't use cockpit cam that often, I don't feel the steering animation is lagging that much (but the TV I use is an older model - maybe they didn't do all the behind-the-scenes picture processing "enhancement" back then?)

The visual ‘lag’ is really bad when using a gamepad, but when you use a wheel it seems to almost disappear while playing. The lag you see in the gameplay videos, the person driving is most likely using a gamepad, because in my videos on my YouTube channel, there’s no (noticeable) lag in where the wheel is pointing and where the car is going and I’m using a wheel to play.

Using a Fanatec CSW, there is absolutely no visual lag to the steering wheel rotation.
It was, however, there and very disturbing with a Logitech wheel.

I'm kinda late to the party, wanting to buy a cheap PS4 soon just for GTSport but something cought my eye in gameplay videos.

Is this something that only occurs in the replays? Because in some videos i seem to notice it more than others.

Found one video that clearly demonstrates what i mean, whenever the car is already going straight the driver still seems to need some time to straighten the steeringwheel aswell.

it's not a deal breaker per-se, but i'm a huge fan of the extra immersion cockpit view can give.

It's tied to the gamepad, it doesn't happen with a wheel (G29 here).

Using a Fanatec CSW, there is absolutely no visual lag to the steering wheel rotation.
It's tied to the gamepad, it doesn't happen with a wheel (G29 here).
It's simply impossible for there to not be any lag. The game runs at 60fps, which immediately adds a delay of 0 to 16.7ms while you wait for the next frame to be displayed. There's additional lag in both the input device, the PS4's processing of it, and in the display's processing, even in game or PC mode. For example here, of the TVs they list as being good for gaming, the lowest lag is still 11ms.

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

You don't notice it when driving without the wheel on the screen, as you just adapt to the small delay, but the wheel on screen just looks horrible because it makes the delay so obvious.

It's simply impossible for there to not be any lag. The game runs at 60fps, which immediately adds a delay of 0 to 16.7ms while you wait for the next frame to be displayed. There's additional lag in both the input device, the PS4's processing of it, and in the display's processing, even in game or PC mode. For example here, of the TVs they list as being good for gaming, the lowest lag is still 11ms.

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

You don't notice it when driving without the wheel on the screen, as you just adapt to the small delay, but the wheel on screen just looks horrible because it makes the delay so obvious.
Yes there's a little lag with a wheel, but not the effect like when the wheel is still turning while you drive in straight line after a turn with the pad.

Just for the fact, there's nearly no lag at all with PSVR.

I was talking about the interior view with the visible steering wheel. No visual lag anymore, after switching from Logitech to Fanatec, the animated steering wheel moves exactly like the actual wheel.

Anyone who says they have no lag, feel free to upload a similar video to prove it. That's with a Samsung 1080p TV in Game Mode, Fanatec CSW 2.5 via Drive Hub. Steering range was set to 540 degrees, which made 90 degrees of rotation match between the real wheel and the wheel on screen. Video is slowed down to 1/20th real time.

Seems like the thread kinda de-railed too, i wasn't really talking about input lag, but more so the fact that the steeringwheel in cockpit mode doesn't really seem to reflect what the actual car is doing.

But if it's really just a controller thing i might just look out for a cheap wheel too then, i'm guessing it's the best way to play GT by default anyway.

Seems like the thread kinda de-railed too, i wasn't really talking about input lag, but more so the fact that the steeringwheel in cockpit mode doesn't really seem to reflect what the actual car is doing.

But if it's really just a controller thing i might just look out for a cheap wheel too then, i'm guessing it's the best way to play GT by default anyway.
I tried this out yesterday, using the cockpit view with both controller and wheel. In both cases, the wheel shown on screen matches the red dot position. The red dot position matches the wheel input, apart from the lag I showed in my video. The red dot lags behind controller inputs much more, but I believe this is intentional, to avoid controller users providing excessively sudden inputs. So if you suddenly slam the stick all the way to the side, the red dot moves slowly till it reaches the full steering position. If you suddenly let the stick self-centre, the red dot moves slowly back to the centre. I didn't notice any mismatch between the red dot position and what I expected the car to be doing. I can see what you mean in the video in your first post, but I think it's a bit of an illusion. Because the red dot matches the wheel position, you can look at non-cockpit view footage for the same thing, and you'll see it in many videos, but all I can say is it doesn't feel like there's anything weird going on when you're the one in control of the car. The only issue I'm aware of is what I mentioned before, that I can't stand having the wheel on screen moving at 60fps and lagging a few frames behind the real wheel.

As far as I know the on screen wheel matches wheel input, maybe a little bit of lag. But using a controller it does not appear to match where the car is actually going, it does seem to lag a little and also has a maximum rate of turn witch looks weird.

Just picking a random bit of wheel footage, if you look at Kie here, you'll see it's easy to interpret things as the car having straightened up while the red dot is still off centre. If he was using cockpit view, the wheel on screen would match the red dot. But when you're the one in control, it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong.

Change the gamepad input setting to motion sensor detection in GT Sport controller settings. This fixes the slow steering animation, and your DS4 will mimic steering wheel input instead of thumb inputs.

Back