Stereotypical cars driven by old people in your country?

• Thread starter R55NA
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
DarkStryderLupo
DarkStryder360
I'm in the UK, England, and I was at a Garden Centre earlier today, which is a hot bed for the over 60's, 70's, etc.

I explained to my Spanish girlfriend how the older generation seem to have an agreement on what cars to drive and rarely deviate.

So the most common car to be stuck behind going 20mph in a 60mph road in the UK is...:

Honda Jazz (any year)
honda-jazz-12-i-vtec-s-euro-5-5dr-27327-t91xod0b.jpg

Citroen Picasso (early 2010's)
SmartSelect_20240127_151546_eBay.jpg

Nissan Note
nissan_note.jpg

Nissan Micra (any year)
Nissan Micra (7).jpg

What are some in stereotypical cars for the older generation, in your country?

Finland, and Nissan Qashqai is the overwhelming favourite. More often than not painted white or grey. The common denominator for the drivers is either a peaked cap with earflaps for the men or enough scarfs and knit beanies for the women to hinder seeing ahead... which might actually explain things.

Last edited:
Where I live it's:

• '90s Silverado
  • '90s Dodge Ram 1500 V6
  • '87-'91 Ford F150
  • Mid '00s Chevrolet Malibu
  • Any late '90s - early '00s GM car
  • Any Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car
  • Any new Buick

Used to be Honda Jazz(Fit), Any Camry, Kia Picanto GT and Volvos. Now, any brand of small to medium size CUV.

Adelaide was the Toyota Camry but as the other Aussies have said, CUV's now. Mainly Mazda CX-5's.

It's kind of ironic that the older generation, who's driving usually offends the most, tend to gravitate towards the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is a bloody excellent car, meaning that the Jazz gets a bad name, so most wouldn't be seen dead in one.

I want a Honda Jazz, naturally.

It's not so much the car but the disgusting colours of cars that old people seem to have a nack for driving like crap bronze or bogey green etc, it's almost like they purposely go out to look for the worst colour car possible & say "yep" that's the colour for me.

The other day I saw the most basic of ford focus mk1 estate in a sort of metallic mint green, it looked ****.

Also there's a guy around where I live who's wrapped his jaguar xk in a sort of diamond/gold sparkling wrap, why....

Last edited:
It's not so much the car but the disgusting colours of cars that old people seem to have a nack for driving like crap bronze or bogey green etc, it's almost like they purposely go out to look for the worst colour car possible & say "yep" that's the colour for me.

The other day I saw the most basic of ford focus mk1 estate in a sort of metallic mint green, it looked ****.

Also there's a guy around where I live who's wrapped his jaguar xk in a sort of diamond/gold sparkling wrap, why....
I’ll tell one reason why many older people choose those colors. Seriously, customers told me this when shopping for cars: “I want to be able to find my car in the parking lot.”

Mercedes-Benz, I suppose. Here we don’t get stuck behind old people, we get stuck behind young people driving cars that are legally converted to tractors and limited to 30 km/h.

1706505826365.jpeg

May not be the case for all, but my grandad's past few Citroens have been in odd shades because the dealer keeps telling him they're 'a rare colour' and that it'll be worth more when it comes time to trade in. Of course, the reality is that its a rare colour because nobody wants it and they're selling it to him to get rid of it. I can see an argument for a Porsche in a somewhat leftfield colour combination being worth something someday; I don't think a duck egg blue C3 Picasso is gonna be some hot ticket item later down the line however. I feel its a bit predatory to be honest, but hey, he seems happy enough that he keeps going back.

Last edited:
If you see a C5 just driving around, your odds definitely seem to be 60-70% that the person who owns it goes to dinner at Golden Corral at 4 PM. That's not the case with C6s (where you'd think there would be a ton of overlap but there really isn't) and certainly not the C7s and C4s (where it's understandable that there would be less) that you see being used as daily drivers, but for C5s that specifically seems to be the case and for whatever reason that generation has seemingly always has been the one considered the "old man" car.

Last edited:
If you see a C5 just driving around, your odds definitely seem to be 60-70% that the person who owns it goes to dinner at Golden Corral at 4 PM. That's not the case with C6s (where you'd think there would be a ton of overlap but there really isn't) and certainly not the C7s and C4s (where it's understandable that there would be less) that you see being used as daily drivers, but for C5s that specifically seems to be the case and for whatever reason that generation has seemingly always has been the one considered the "old man" car.
Weird. Didn't think Citroens were sold in the US.

Nissan Qashqai, Honda Jazz and the Seat Arona i'd say are the go-tos for pensioners around these parts.

If you see a silver B-class of Mercedes in Germany in front of you, turn immediately around or postpone your appointments of that afternoon...

Last edited:
Clicks thread to write Honda Jazz

Oh.

I live accross from a retirement village and the other Aussies are spot on. Jazz, Camry and any CUV.

In rural areas, it’s 200 Series Landcruisers & Prados along with Rams & Silverados.

That generation of Australians did tend to be pretty passionate about cars and getting old doesn’t stop that. A lot of them now have a Mustang, or maybe a Cayman. Some even still have something old and cool in the shed.

However, for the most part, yep, Honda Jazz.

Back