Steviiee's quick and easy color and lighting correction guide [Sharpening and Grain]

• Thread starter gtsteviiee
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
borswaki
This is my first guide relating to photoshop so, take it easy on me. 👍

Since so many people have been asking me on how I process my photos I have finally decided to make an easy walkthrough/guide on having a nice, realistic shots. Here it goes..

The original photo itself

- 1st thing first, I would suggest having a picture that is equally balanced, nothing too bright and nothing too dark, so it's easier to edit.

Ex: (This is an original photo, not edited at all)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Notice how the lighting is almost perfect? What you want to start out with is a dark photo, because it's easier for me to just correct the lighting to how I want it to be.

- 2nd is that you want a track with great lighting over all. Also a lot of shadows where it gives perfect reflection and shadow type wise

Maps I recommend:
-Nurburgring - It's a good track to take photos on, especially if you manually set the time during 6-8 A.M It gives the photos great quality. It also gives many different types of lighting, because of all the trees.

- High speed ring, this track is perfect too, the lighting isn't too bright. It's perfect.

-Mostly all the tracks in the city section, London, Tokyo, Rome, etc.

-Or, you can even create your own track with the warm specific lighting, 6-8 A.M or 5-7 P.M

I choose the type of daylight time because of it's color and the quality it gives me.

Ex:

- Also, if you think the photo is way too bright, always use the exposure and set it to negative, it's almost always better to have a darker picture as your original because you can fix it later on while editing it.

More on how to use/take advantage of GT5 Photography use, gtsomething’s ‘Make the most of the GT5 Camera v2.0’

The editing

(You'll need Photoshop for this)

Fixing the shadows and lighting

In this guide I will show you how to fix the lighting on your GT5 photos, our example will be this photo:

Now you might be wondering why I chose this, I chose it because it has 2 things we are looking for, darkness and lightness. This photo has both.

The tool I would always use first is the curve tool:

unled1rvk.png

This is a very very useful tool when it comes to fixing your shadows and lighting.

Don't know how to use it?

Here's a picture of it with 2 different colors separated by a red line.

unled1vl.png

The blue part of the photo means, it is changing the lighting for the top half of the photo, pulling it down makes it darker, pulling it up makes it brighter. You can grab any part of the line, but be sure to grab the line going diagonal.

The green part is the same but it is for the lower half of the photo, it does the same thing as the blue part of the photo.

Using the curves tool on your GT5 photo

Now, here is an example of me using it:

unled1nq.png

(Left part of the photo is the edited part while the right part is the original)

I grabbed the bottom part of the curve tool, the Output: 96 Input: 43

See how it made it brighter? And gave the dark part a better view of it?
It's the other way around when you pull the line to the lower part.

Now that you have the idea on how to use it, let's go on, on fixing the example photo.

Note: You see how the first curve layer is only going higher? While the 2nd curve layer is a wiggly line for low and high?
That's because the first curve is for giving it that brighter look, then the 2nd curve is giving the more darker shadows and balancing it out by raising the line higher for the top part of the tool.

The next thing I added is gradient map:
unled1xgk.png

Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient Map

After that I use the black through white, and change the layer setting to Soft Light, and lower the opacity somewhere >50.

That should fix the lighting problem, the easy way.

Color correction

Color correction is also an essential part on having a realistic photo, because sometimes transporting GT5 pics from PS3 to PC washes out the color and that has got to be fixed.

This section will be about how to fix the colors depending on how rich you want the colors to be.

The example I will use today is this photo:

I chose it because it has many colors on it, and the picture is a great example for color correction.

Here's the tool we will be using:
unled1rl.png

Saturation tool? We're not using the "Master" tool but we're using all the separate colors, like the colors listed on the drop down menu, that way we can control each color the way we want them to be saturated instead of all of them saturated at once.

Just like in the picture, it's already saturated color by color. Instead of using "Master" I used them separated because, you don't really want the blue to get saturated by that much, your photo will look like crap, unless your car is blue, but don't try to saturate blue that much.
This game is dependent on Red and Green, so that's what you mainly want to saturate, because of the track.

Sharpening and Grain

Coming soon..

Adding it all together

Coming soon..

Last edited:
Hey that was quick and this is great! 👍
The gradient map is a great tip! Hadn't thought of that. :dunce:

I'm usually using the same tools, but there are some little details like the gradient map which are really interesting. Thanks! 👍

good job. I have always had trouble using curves and would refer to level to solve the problem as best as I could, but now I don't have to!

- Also, if you think the photo is way too bright, always use the exposure and set it to negative, it's almost always better to have a darker picture as your original because you can fix it later on while editing it.

Incorrect.

It's better to have a photo slightly brighter / over-exposed and to darken it later. You'll find that a dark photo will have lost detail which cannot be recovered. A lighter photo will have that detail still in it. 👍

^he's saying slightly dark, too much of either will lose detail.
anyways, is most of this in PSE8 too or just cs5?

@Dice
I think everyone already know how to use these tools lol.

@Mubble
No not really, I'd rather have a car that doesn't have too much glare on it. And Roush is right, I just phrased it out wrong. Not too dark, is where you want it to be.. You only want an over-exposed pic that's if you want to have that washed-out vintage effect. But you would want everything equal lighting.

@Roush
I think so, but I'm sure it's in all PCS.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Woah, completely forgot about this thread!

@Johan
It looks great but, be sure to even out your highlights and shadows, it looks very contrasted. Color toning is very nice though. :)

Steviiee you are absolutely awesome !

I can't stop watching all your photos...

Can you please explain how to recreate the toy-car effect... ???

:bowdown:

Moontallico
Great guide! Very helpful :D
I've been waiting for it for a while...
When are you going to finish it, Steviiee?

He's never gonna finish it lol. I'll finish it for everyone tho.

Sharpening. Make sure you are on the layer with your picture and not any adjustment layers. Click effects and go down to sharpening and select unsharpen mask. Play with the settings until you feel the image looks clearer but not over done. Your really looking at all the details because those are what is truly going to pop. Feel free to click on and off the preview to be able to really see the difference.

That's it people you are done!

If you would like to see how pictures turn out with this tutorial go to any of my garages or preferably gallery to see virtually all my pics done this way. I personally don't do the gradient part as it usually makes the images too dark, but depends on the picture. The main thing you want to do is try and take as good as a pic as possible in game so editing goes easy.

Back