Still on the fence.PC 

• Thread starter CC570
  • 11 comments
United States
Pennsylvania, USA
cc570
I considered buying into PCars back when investing was still available but didn't. I still haven't bought the game, but am considering it. I did add it to my Steam wishlist, and when it hits a certain price point I will probably buy it regardless of any concerns I might have.
I do have a couple of questions that might sway me one way or another.
1: Trackir, I drive in cockpit view using a realistic FOV, for me this is 27.3 degrees vertical or 44.7 degree horizontal. Since this is quite restrictive I rely on using facetracking to be able to look around and down at my gauges. From what I can see, Trackir is only available in Helmet cam? Does this mean it doesn't work in a normal cockpit view? If so does SMS consider this a bug that will be fixed or a feature?
2: Online: I know a huge majority of sales are for console versions and PC sales are less than 10% of sales. I assume online is platform dependent right? What is the current pc online look like regarding clean pick-up racing? How does it compare, as far as number of lobbies and number of racers per lobby, with other current sims?
Thanks

1: Helmet view without the visible helmet is exactly the cockpit cam+movement abilities needed for TrackIR. Look for YT Videos from Yorkie065 to get a sense how it looks with TrackIR.

2: Im sure some Steam MP Racers here will be able to answer this.

Steam has enough lobbies for me. Not very clean though, but it's to be expected. Maybe iracing would not be like this, other games you need private leagues to be clean. Not to say all people are rammers but a lot are

On steam I am not seeing many lobbies but you can change your download region in steam and see different lobbies. Thus far I have set it to 4 different locations just for testing. Charlotte showed 6 active lobbies, Philly showed 7, NY had 8, London had 56

Without a rating system like iRacing that punishes bad behaviour, all online racing is going to be the same. Even iRacing wasn't perfect, far from it, especially in the lower ranks where car control was dubious amongst most of the drivers. Lots of punters and a few good, serious racers is just the way it is online. GT5 was the same and you just had to take some time and find hosts that were on regularly and tried to keep the house tidy. I don't think all the tools are in place yet for clean racing, GT was better in that regard, in particular hosts need the ability to just punt anyone that is misbehaving. Leagues and good hosts will always be the best way to find good racing online.

Interesting thread here . I currently have an NVidia card, but will need to upgrade for Oculus Rift next year. NVidia's business practices make me loathe to buy another of their products. So as I would prefer to buy an AMD card within the next year, it doesn't make much sense for me to invest in PCars. Too bad.

I considered buying into PCars back when investing was still available but didn't. I still haven't bought the game, but am considering it. I did add it to my Steam wishlist, and when it hits a certain price point I will probably buy it regardless of any concerns I might have.
I do have a couple of questions that might sway me one way or another.
1: Trackir, I drive in cockpit view using a realistic FOV, for me this is 27.3 degrees vertical or 44.7 degree horizontal. Since this is quite restrictive I rely on using facetracking to be able to look around and down at my gauges. From what I can see, Trackir is only available in Helmet cam? Does this mean it doesn't work in a normal cockpit view? If so does SMS consider this a bug that will be fixed or a feature?
2: Online: I know a huge majority of sales are for console versions and PC sales are less than 10% of sales. I assume online is platform dependent right? What is the current pc online look like regarding clean pick-up racing? How does it compare, as far as number of lobbies and number of racers per lobby, with other current sims?
Thanks
Never buy at steam, i've never found a cheap game there, that wasnt cheaper other places.

I use oneplay.com where project cars is already near half the price of steam already, so just wanted to point that out, if you are waiting for steam, cause even when they do have discounts theyre pretty sloppy anyways.

EDIT: once you buy from oneplay anyways you will just get a digital steam code from them in a mail to activate your game, and you run it via steam anyways. takes roughly 1-10 minutes to get the mail enjoy.

There is a risk with these re sellers though. They buy keys in bulk in countries where the price is much lower than in the western world and make a profit. With region locking that has become a steam "feature" you never know if the key will work in your region.

That price is not 1/2 the price of steam either. the site above lists it for something like $38.99 I got it through steam for $49.99 with both of the extra car packs.

No proper triple screen support will hold me off buying. I don't need cars in my periphery looking like stretch limousines thanks SMS.

I have read that it's in the works, but it seems strange that PCARS was so pc-centric for so long and it was never implemented.

That price is not 1/2 the price of steam either. the site above lists it for something like $38.99 I got it through steam for $49.99 with both of the extra car packs.

for the danish version that i've always used i got it for 25 eu. And all games i've bought never had any problems, because they are always EU versions.

anyways if that one isnt cheaper for you, use another theyre legal and steam is just a money making machine. This is just my opinion ofc. :)

Back